Quantcast

domain name

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey,

I am starting my own business and need to establish a domain name. What is the best, most cost-effective way of doing this?

Thanks!

-sunny

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Laura, are you looking to come up with one, or how to go about purchasing one?

I've had very good luck with Go Daddy. Good prices. I think I paid like $18 last time I got a 2 year renewal.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I have one in mind, and I don't see that it's registered anywhere. Should I post my ideas here or is that foolish? I know just enough about walking through the woods alone to offer cookies to the wolf and invite him to dinner.

I'll checkout godaddy.

Thanks!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'd be careful about sharing a domain before you registered it. I have had them sniped before.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
lunarpages.com

Free domain registering with a hosting package. The hosting is dirt cheap and reliable.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I registered at GoDaddy, but have good I have found great Customer Service with "A Small Orange" for hosting.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I bought one at Go Daddy the other day. Was surprised to get a follow up call from them offering to help, blah, blah.

Seems like a decent company.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Sorry, both monkeyspanking.com and monkeyspanker.com seem to be taken.

Maybe you can try a .org or a .net?

<edit:> Oooooo.... www.ridemymonkey.com is free! Quicky now you must be!

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
lunarpages.com
I have a problem with sites that are clearly promising more than they can deliver, by order(s) of magnitude.

They simply could not afford to provide a terabyte and a half of storage, and fifteen terabytes of data transfer every month, for $5. If you actually went to use that 1,500gb of storage, I bet your account would get locked in a hurry.

GoDaddy is clearly oversubscribing their users, as most web companies do, but when a place is promising that much, for that little... warning bells.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I have a problem with sites that are clearly promising more than they can deliver, by order(s) of magnitude.

They simply could not afford to provide a terabyte and a half of storage, and fifteen terabytes of data transfer every month, for $5. If you actually went to use that 1,500gb of storage, I bet your account would get locked in a hurry.

GoDaddy is clearly oversubscribing their users, as most web companies do, but when a place is promising that much, for that little... warning bells.
You and your voice of reason are making me nervous.
:twitch: