Quantcast

Done with my Zee brakeset.. whats next?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've been running the TRP Quadiems for several months now, and they've been the best set of brakes I've ever used (have run numerous sets of various Shimano models previously). Switched the stock pads to metals, and now that everything is bedded in, they're aces. Maybe a shade less powerful than Zees, but pretty damn close imo and much better modulation. Lever ergonomics are good, but may not be the best option if you have small, Trumpian bitch hands.

Not sure about long durability , but so far they've been flawless other than the incident when my daughter managed to somehow pull the hose out of the lever. I was pretty stoked about that discovery. :twitch:
hey. HEY! your input is null and void you no-world cup-prediction-making-muthafugger! when you complete your fort billiam post you may resume normal shitposting and poo-flinging. until then, please cease and desist. GOOD DAY SIR!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ha, I almost pulled a Claudio on a sizeable jump yesterday and was too skeert to type...only thru late nite camping and boozing was I able to regain my composure...PTSD (Post traumatic suck syndrome), the struggle is real!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've been running the TRP Quadiems for several months now, and they've been the best set of brakes I've ever used (have run numerous sets of various Shimano models previously). Switched the stock pads to metals, and now that everything is bedded in, they're aces. Maybe a shade less powerful than Zees, but pretty damn close imo and much better modulation. Lever ergonomics are good, but may not be the best option if you have small, Trumpian bitch hands.

Not sure about long durability , but so far they've been flawless other than the incident when my daughter managed to somehow pull the hose out of the lever. I was pretty stoked about that discovery. :twitch:
When my XTRs started acting up again, I swore I’d go the same route.

Until I saw what they’re costing these days. Approx $450/end is a bit rich for my blood.

Maybe end of year sales will renew my credit interest.

Unless yours wind up sucking after a full season of riding.

I will remain hopeful.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sniped by da peach! :D

They're around. If you're in murka, BTI and QBP and KHS and every other distributor carries them now. Just reminding people that's a not 400+ dollar option that works well.

About the only gripe you might have is if you run your levers really close to the bar at engagement (I do). You can only get them so close. The levers bend easily in a vice though so you can fix that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Still really liking my Formula R0-Racings. Available for about $175 per wheel including shipping from ze Germans last I looked.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I never rode Shimano brakes on a trail, but shop and parking lot tested. I just couldn't get used of that "flip" in the lever and the on/off feel. The lever seemed soooo short too.

Hopes will be different for sure. But I can attest that the V4's can stop a 320lb guy on a DH bike wherever you want them to. Though they need more power than Shimano, they're by no means going to tire your hands. There's enough power, just more effort is needed than you're used to I guess. I think they're very much like Avid Code's tbh.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Are the Curas DH Park approved?
kidwoo has them on his DH bike, but he doesn't use his brakes, so his opinion is useless.
they seem pretty f'ing strong, and with metal pads I'd bet they'd be enough for most riders.

does anyone know the SKU for metal pads, or if Formula shares this pad with another model brake?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
[QUOTE="Nick, post: 4272358, member: 574]"does anyone know the SKU for metal pads, or if Formula shares this pad with another model brake?[/QUOTE]
Same pads as the R1 and RO.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm intrigued by the option. I had a Formula brake (RO?) as a loaner during my first months-long wait for a Shimano warranty debacle to un-fuck itself.

I can't say I liked it.

But these are some strong endorsements...

If I get completely fed up with my XTRs, and then also with my Saints, I'll give the Curas a try.

It's strange how rare a sight they are on the trail. This is Shimano and Avid country 'round these parts. Maybe the odd Magura here and there.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Spent the last two weekends riding the Magura MT Trail Carbons. I am definitely a fan.

Tons of stopping power, good modulation, well designed lever, over all I thought it was as good or better than anything I've been on from SRAM or Shimano. I prefer their levers over anything else I've tried. The only issue is that they make crazy noises on occasion. Maybe they just needed cleaning but I was too lazy to find out :disgust:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
these Cura levers will def take some getting used to. "relatively" no bend vs the m820 lever which I've grown to like over the past few years and not too sure I'd risk bending them and fucking them all up.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
these Cura levers will def take some getting used to. "relatively" no bend vs the m820 lever which I've grown to like over the past few years and not too sure I'd risk bending them and fucking them all up.
I really like Shimano levers, but I also really like a shorter throw. SO MANY THINGS TO CONSIDER!!!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@rockofullr how long is the throw on your MT trail brakes?
On mine, I remember that it was quite long and become shorter after slightly overfilling them. The throw became even shorter when I switched to Shimano lever. Unlike you I didn't really get used to the ergonomics of the lever. Maybe it's the lever blade being a bit too wide for my liking. But it was not really bad either, I could certainly got used to it. What made me shift to Shimano lever was more that I couldn't get the gear and dropper paddles were I wanted even with the adapters from Magura. Same here: personal preferences.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
@rockofullr how long is the throw on your MT trail brakes?
On mine, I remember that it was quite long and become shorter after slightly overfilling them. The throw became even shorter when I switched to Shimano lever. Unlike you I didn't really get used to the ergonomics of the lever. Maybe it's the lever blade being a bit too wide for my liking. But it was not really bad either, I could certainly got used to it. What made me shift to Shimano lever was more that I couldn't get the gear and dropper paddles were I wanted even with the adapters from Magura. Same here: personal preferences.
Did notice the throw was a bit long and if I ran the levers too far out they would try to get away from me. I just brought them in towards the bars and it fixed the issue. Might be more of a problem for people with different sized hands.

I actually really like the lever design. It feels like a good middle ground between the super curvy Shimano levers and the super straight SRAM levers.

Also, this wasn't on my bikes so I wasn't too worried about cockpit setup other than making sure I could reach everything.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are the Curas DH Park approved?
Is your bike 650b?
The Cura (and RO, T1, etc) pads are too small on a modern 650b bike for DH bikepark use.
Yeah it'll work, but it'll suck noticeably compared to the Zees - which stop noticeably harder, and have bigger pads so they'll maintain their stopping for longer (even better if using heatsink ones). I've used all these brakes in the bikepark and I think Formula make good stuff, but given what you're using them for and what you're replacing, I'd move along. There's a reason the WC guys aren't running the stock Cura.

Is it really a dealbreaker for you to save up longer and get the V4s?
If you want to keep remotely the same bikepark braking performance as your Zee, while fixing the ridiculous lever issues, there is only really solid option here.

Everything else suggested so far either has substantially less braking force than the Zee, or some other dealbreaker in my book. The Maguras have flimsy and horrible levers (they fall apart after a few crashes and have terrible ergonomics, but they seem to keep working functionally), if you can get past that those will have similar power to your Zee. Big hands compulsory.

You can also ignore anyone suggesting putting Shimano levers on anything, since they are the root cause of your problem, and the last thing you want is to go down the same road again. Known issue, unresolved.

FYI - I don't even own any Hope brakes, I have no connection to them.
I've just lived through your pain (every summer spent in bikepark, tried pretty well every brake) and unless you want to replace your current problems with a new and exciting set of different problems, there's only one good option close to your budget.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You can also ignore anyone suggesting putting Shimano levers on anything, since they are the root cause of your problem, and the last thing you want is to go down the same road again. Known issue, unresolved.
That's what I thought too.
Until I did it and now have 12 months worth of riding between two bikes and two mismatched sets.

Don't know if it's because air is not getting in the pistons anymore or what, but that is the tightest, most consistent brake setup I've ever had. I've almost gone off a 50ish foot cliff before because of shimano's BS empty pull phenomenon so I'm not going to sugar coat anything. There's been zero hint of anything even close to that.

What you've said in the past regarding the MC forged bits makes sense but I'm also not using anywhere near new levers. The xts had 2 years on them and the saints about 4.

Agreed on the dh use. I've got them and like them but it's 26" wheels and I'm not going to pretend a quad piston setup wouldn't handle heat better.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Could the matching of TRP levers with the Zee calipers solve the problem? Maybe the OP should only buy new levers and try if it works. If the calipers are the problem, this variation is obviously no option.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mt5s for 180 then replace the levers if you don't get along with them?

Agree with others, levers are not that comfortable, poorly made, and not easily adjusted. That being said, they do work and power is adequate and modulation excellent. I'm satisfied with mine at thunder. They hold up to schist better than my formula t1s, but don't have the grab that Shimano does

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Could the matching of TRP levers with the Zee calipers solve the problem? Maybe the OP should only buy new levers and try if it works. If the calipers are the problem, this variation is obviously no option.
Personally I would just avoid trying to use any shimano caliper. My life improved greatly by doing this. I haven't messed with my brakes in over a year which is something I'd could never say in the past. I finally have hope *sniff*

I don't actually have hope, I have formula but whatever.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Personally I would just avoid trying to use any shimano caliper. My life improved greatly by doing this. I haven't messed with my brakes in over a year which is something I'd could never say in the past. I finally have hope *sniff*
:stupid:
My Saintguras have been trouble free for a few years now, as have old LX Shimano calipers. All newer Shimano calipers are garbage.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Mt5s for 180 then replace the levers if you don't get along with them?

Agree with others, levers are not that comfortable, poorly made, and not easily adjusted. That being said, they do work and power is adequate and modulation excellent. I'm satisfied with mine at thunder. They hold up to schist better than my formula t1s, but don't have the grab that Shimano does
Agreed, switched the MT5s from XT 785s. Braking feel is much better, no more random button on lever pull, and somehow arm pump is no longer an issue for me. Agree with everyone on magura levers.. they suck. I bought SLX levers to replace the Maguras, but I'm gonna hold on replacing them. I dunno if the arm pump I experience with shimano brakes was to do with the shimano lever design or the strong initial bite on them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's weird about arm pump. I feel like I have to pull harder on the maguras to get the same bite, but there is more power on tap (and more consistent) at least compared to my formulas. The only thing I can think of with your arms is that since the shimanos are so much more sensitive your hands are working harder to maintain modulation with the shimanos, whereas small changes don't matter on the maggies. Just a thought.

I may try to replace the 785s on the trail bike with either the formulas that I have or some weird bastardization with the MT5s because modulation is so much more important on a trail bike, IMO

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I get less arm pump with longer lever blades (like the stock MT5s). I assume it's because I don't have to angle my index finger like I do with shorter lever blades.