Quantcast

Done with my Zee brakeset.. whats next?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I know how the math works out between the two but what do you know about friction between the formula metal pads and the shimano ones? If I had to guess I'd say the formulas actually grab a little harder in drag if not in clamping force. I've run both pads in them. I don't feel like I gave up anything in braking power with those things which really surprised me. Especially since I bought them quickly, while shouting, and very much in anger after another near death shimano experience one day.
Funnily was talking to bucko about that yesterday, I always really liked the Formula metal pads, but my buddy was complaining about a set not long ago (which I was pretty surprised about) and then the next couple sets I ended up glazing pretty quickly. It was all around the time I switched to 650b on the DH bike, so I'm pretty sure I just suddenly started stressing them more and it was game over. I had to ditch the Formula calipers to get more leverage so I could stop without having to start braking 10 minutes before a corner.

I think maybe Formula's sintered compound is marginally better than Shimano, but my conclusion is that on big wheels and big bikes, I can glaze both to the point of uselessness in 2-3 days of riding. Bucko is going through the same thing with Hope (no doubt worse given what he rides) and I think the problem is that sintered pads permanently lose friction at a lower peak temp than some semi/organic pads (not all obs, but some are decent like Hope and Formula) - so you either need to sink it out, or deal with fast wear.

The Shimano pad that fits in the formula is tiny (even smaller than Formula, and it has that stupid taper too) so it's not the best comparison, but I just switched to a full Saint heatsink pad and I really feel like this is the only answer for a sintered pad on big wheels.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ok, silly question. Shimano pads (the ones in my XTRs) fit in the Curas?

If that's the case, I'm getting keener on this Cura idea...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok, silly question. Shimano pads (the ones in my XTRs) fit in the Curas?

If that's the case, I'm getting keener on this Cura idea...
nah, you gotta buy these little pinner roadie pads

Or bring my good friend makita.

edit: oh yeah, and to further make life difficult, do not, under any circumstances run the organic pads in the curas if you get them. Not where you live. Run though one puddle and you have no brakes. Those things are desert use only.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
nah, you gotta buy these little pinner roadie pads

Or bring my good friend makita.

edit: oh yeah, and to further make life difficult, do not, under any circumstances run the organic pads in the curas if you get them. Not where you live. Run though one puddle and you have no brakes. Those things are desert use only.
Huh, good to know. Roadie pads? I assume they're $$$?

I've been mocked for even considering any pad other than sintered, so I've never actually tried organics. I won't start now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah where you live, organic pads are a no no. I actually lectured a guy in one of the shops in whistler who tried to sell me some when it was absolutely pissing outside. I told him "look, it's fine with me because I know better, but you can't do this to people, you're gonna kill some poor fucker who doesn't know what these things do in the rain" He tried to tell me "this is what all the locals use" :rofl:

The shimano roadie pads aren't that much from what i remember. The thing is, formula pads are really cheap. And they work great. I really haven't had a reason to not get them. The finned shimano roadie pads didn't solve anything.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I recently picked up a Hope V4 set 2nd hand, and ripped the calipers off to put on my E4 setup for the enderpo bike (basically just didn't want braided lines). The rear brake seems a bit less than perfect the last couple of rides and I realised I have no idea how old the V4 caliper was when I got it, nor what it had been exposed to. So I jump on CRC to grab a seal kit for it - $10. 10 measly Aussie dollars. Seal kit for the lever? Another $10. Replacement master piston? $12.

When my old M810 saint master piston failed? $140 for a new lever thanks. We don't sell subcomponents. Also, we'll need to order it in.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Found my XTR receipts... This is getting serious...

Did @kidwoo ever run the Curas out of the box? I know you mention they Franken version works better, but I've just realized I'll likely be giving up my so-loved XTR levers on the warranty deal...

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Well my MT7s almost threw my fat ass over the bars out in the woods today. Which was a pleasant experience after the middleoftheroadish bite on the V4s I used to have.

I have from previous experience learned that no Real Information About Appropriate Brake Performance is to be had on any track near where I live. So I guess I won't know until mid june when my closest bikepark opens if they actually cut it.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Just about died the other day riding Windrock when i pulled on my XT lever and nothing happened... I’m talking front brake just wasent there! I pumped it in a panic and got brakes but I still ended up in the dirt.

Ordered F/R V4s the next day off Merlin for $400 shipped.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
FYI, for everyone making out that Formula's 4-pot is going to be the second coming or something, keep in mind (for the purposes of this particular thread topic) that Formula traditionally have somewhat low overall leverage and aren't the most powerful brakes out there.

Adding extra pots doesn't necessarily increase stopping force, it's the increase (if any) in slave piston area that matters - so until someone posts those piston diameters, it's hard to say if it'll be a minor upgrade, or actually something that will go toe-to-toe with the Saint/Zee/MT7/Direttissima in big-wheel DH use. Same with heat management - their current pads are tiny, so they may well improve, but will they actually match the sizes (or better yet, be compatible with) the market leaders?

I'm interested to see the end result, but somehow I'm dubious that it will be something chris_f will run out to buy. Jury's out.
If someone gets the slave piston numbers, please share!

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
FYI, for everyone making out that Formula's 4-pot is going to be the second coming or something, keep in mind (for the purposes of this particular thread topic) that Formula traditionally have somewhat low overall leverage and aren't the most powerful brakes out there.

Adding extra pots doesn't necessarily increase stopping force, it's the increase (if any) in slave piston area that matters - so until someone posts those piston diameters, it's hard to say if it'll be a minor upgrade, or actually something that will go toe-to-toe with the Saint/Zee/MT7/Direttissima in big-wheel DH use. Same with heat management - their current pads are tiny, so they may well improve, but will they actually match the sizes (or better yet, be compatible with) the market leaders?

I'm interested to see the end result, but somehow I'm dubious that it will be something chris_f will run out to buy. Jury's out.
Should be 24mm

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I'm perfectly happy with the braking power, that's not what I'm after. I just want better heat dispersion, and even then, only on my dh bike. So unless they put some little needle dick cylinders in there, there's no way that's not going to be improved.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is what I read, it was an Italian forum thread let me see if I can find it
I'm not saying that you didn't read that, but I'm skeptical of the source. If they go that big on the slave pistons they'd need a huge master to keep the their reasonable, which would defeat the purpose of going big on the caliper end anyway. Plus I would assume that they're going to use the same lever/mc as the current two piston brake.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not saying that you didn't read that, but I'm skeptical of the source. If they go that big on the slave pistons they'd need a huge master to keep the their reasonable, which would defeat the purpose of going big on the caliper end anyway. Plus I would assume that they're going to use the same lever/mc as the current two piston brake.
He said 2 different levers, for 2 different 4 pistons set, with the most gravity oriented called formula cura G (as for gravity) maybe he was full of shit

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Are they blue?
I have no clue, the picture was of black ones. I’ll find out in a few days, they could be sending pink for all I know.

I wish they had gold ones. My hubs are Hope gold. I like da gold.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
So my new brakes are being “ inspected by customs”

When my Cuban cigars come in nothing, but bicycle brake we gotta check out! SMFH!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Draw a 24mm diameter circle on a piece of paper and then look at the Cura 4-pot caliper.

They're not going to have 4x 24mm pistons.