Quantcast

Don't know where to post. Triathalon Q's.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Well, after building/tuning/prepping bikes at work today for some guys going to Kona for the Ironman, it got me thinking. I'd like to do a triathalon. Obviously sprint tri's for a while, maybe some of the formula one style. I'm a fairly strong swimmer, and a mediocre cyclist, but running is where I lack. I am quick on my feet, but I don't have good endurance. I assume the best way is to just get out there and run? I guess what I'm looking for is some insight on what to expect, as well as some tips and tricks. Of course, I have until spring.

I shouldn't even be asking this, but do creatine supplements help?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just run. Put down the miles spinning on your road bike, as well as running. Get GOOD running shoes. Not nike bull**** of the week, some running specific shoes from a good running shop. You will pay a bit more for something like a high end Saucony or New Balance, but it'll be the best money you ever spend. 4 years on scholarship for track taught me that well built, well designed shoes are gold. The key is to try on many. Find one that really fits your foot, get the right width and then possible proper insoles.

Creatine can do weird things to your kidneys and bladder, and the long term effects aren't known yet. It is more useful for explosive activities such as sprinting and weight ligting, as it helps you out towards the end of a workout so that you can still do full range, full weight explosive sets.

Just run and ignore the miracule drugs. The effects can include bleeding when you pee after only part of a cycle. Not cool. The creatine is usually produced in the liver and aids the kidneys in waste disposal. Bodybuilders and cycling sprinters love it. Runners use it (sprinters) but there haven't been any real studies into how performance enhancing it can be with them.

"There is scientific evidence that taking creatine supplements can marginally increase athletic performance in high-intensity anaerobic repetitive cycling sprints, but studies in swimmers and runners have been less than promising, possibly due to the weight gain."

What it can do:
Creatine supplementation has been reported to increase intramuscular creatine stores by more than 20% in a relatively brief period (20 g·d−1 for 5 days).1 The relationship between elevated intramuscular creatine stores and the subsequent increased potential for the rephosphorylization of adenosine triphosphate have led investigators to examine the potential ergogenic effects of creatine supplementation. These ergogenic effects have been associated with anaerobic activities, such as resistance training, in which evidence supports alterations in skeletal muscle-fiber composition.2,3

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=385262

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
If you don't train with a heart-rate monitor, you should. Either have someone teach you how to use one or get a good book.

Most people who just "start running" will usually run fater than they should and work themselves harder than they should for optimal endurance building. You should be able to carry on a conversation when you run, not just blurt out one-syllable answers between gasps for breath. The best way to tell how hard you are working is by (1) discovering your max heart rate, then (2) exercising at between 65%-75% of your max HR.

Your heart rate is the best gauge of what's going on in your body. Without monitoring it, you are missing a lot of information.

Good luck!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
"Triathlon"

I concur with both Transcend and Sunny. When I picked up running last Summer, I too tried to run too fast. It took me a long time to realize that speed will come after the time and miles. The runners putting down 6 minute splits have been doing it for years, and put months of base work each year to do it. Fyi, I am in the process of developing my aerobic base--I exercise at a maximum of 150 beats per minute.

As for your running form, a majority of runners are heel strikers, their foot initially strikes the ground with the heel. I have poor knees, and I found that my legs can only handle running if I strike the ground with the midfoot, or "ball of foot." Look into it if you have the same problems. An additional benefit of the midfoot striking is that you won't overstride. Fyi, a lot of successful triathletes are midfoot runners.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Thanks guys. I'll definitly look into a heart rate moniter, since I can get them for cheap through the shop I work in. As for running shoes, there isn't really a running specific store in the area. The only places I can think of would be crappy chains like Foot Action. I could always buy online, but different brands run different sizes. I ride an R500 right now, and plan on sticking some aero bars on it for tri's. It isn't the best ride, but it'll do for an exteme beginner like me.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Eric: I remember a few years back that you helped officiate Wildflower. Are you thinking about going back again this next year? Btw, congrats on the third place finish. Placing in any age group is no small feat.

www.trifuel.com is also a decent resource.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Run. Just run. Get a heart rate monitor, and train for certain heart rates. We have really good coaches at Zoom (see link below), you might want to check it out.
Also, I just did my first race - Escape From Alcatraz - this morning. I've been doing 1hr runs 3-4 times weekly, swim 1+ mile in open water 2x a week, and ride 150+ miles a week. I got my ass handed to me today. 25th in my age group, 117 overall (out of 500). My core gave out after my bike to run transition though, I lost about 10 min because I had to walk.
You also need to work specifically within your prime training ranges as well as training for tri. Transitions are HARD on the body, I lost most of my time immediately after the transitions.
I really suggest checking out the Zoom link. The coaches at Zoom atre training racers all over the US.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
naw I'm done with any Terry Davis Tricalifornia events....over sold, to the point where I don't feel that they are safe [too many bodies in too little space]so I will not work or race in them
Good point, as that's definitely the case at Wildflower. From what I've been told, the Olympic course is far from safe to participate in with so many bodies being out there.