Quantcast

"Door" legislation

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Awesome.

In Madison, open car doors could lead to fine

Car doors are a critical danger for cyclists. If a door swings open in front of an 18-speed, the cyclist could collide with the door, flip and hit the pavement.

And now in Madison, the driver who opens the door could be out $100.

In a vote Tuesday night, Madison's city council made it illegal to open a vehicle door without checking for bikes or to leave a door open facing traffic for an unreasonable amount of time, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The State Journal has the story. If motorists don't check for cyclists, they could face a $100 fine. If a motorist leaves a vehicle door open for an unreasonable amount of time, the fine is $50.

The ordinance proposed by Ald. Robbie Webber received some national exposure last month when Rush Limbaugh poked fun at the idea.

link

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Awesome.

In Madison, open car doors could lead to fine

If a door swings open in front of an 18-speed, the cyclist could collide with the door, flip and hit the pavement.
Awesome, it seems it still allows you to door a hiptser on a fixie!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
completely unenforceable

the only dangerous doors are those that've been open for less than a second

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i still remember (back when i rode on the road consistently), a lady pulling an infant in a carrier out in front of me on the street side. It was so quick i just had to veer without looking and lucked out there were no cars creeping up behind me.
That was a long time ago, but i'll never forget that stupid lady doing that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fine..i'll just roll down the window and throw up on them when i feel like puking.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Pretty soon the Gov. is going to tell me when I can and can't blink.