Quantcast

Doping in Cycling: One Person's Thoughts

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

This is an editorial piece based around some things going on in cycling right now. It is an opinionated piece that you may fervently disagree with or perhaps you'll enjoy it. Either way, have your voice heard by commenting.
---

Words and Photos by David Peacock

The sport of cycling get s a tainted reputation from outside sources; the face of cycling, what we see in mainstream media outlets, is a rat race of testing and doping, essentially a game of chicken. Who will go the farthest, or take the most extreme measures, to climb that top step at the Tour or the Giro? Doping is not a new thing, it’s entrenched so firmly in the fabric of road cycling that to perceive anyone at the top of the sport as innocent proves more than difficult.

This culture that dominates road cycling, track sports, Nordic skiing, and any other endurance sport is one that stems from our ultimate desire as humans to be the best. We are competitive, in all aspects of life, and to go so far physically, only to be held back at that critical point by morals or integrity is apparently not an option. I am not so naïve as to assume that mountain biking has always been drug free, but what I can say is that the mindset of mountain bikers, stemming from Californian hillsides where cruiser bikes turned into mountain-surfing dream machines, seems to take a different approach towards victory.

People always ogle at the possibility of our sport becoming “mainstream”, that maybe one day we’ll see races on ESPN or OLN or any network for that matter, but is that what’s best for the sport? The promise of prestige saunters along hand-in-hand with an ugly cousin, pressure to win regardless of the cost. Does a company sell more products if its athletes come tenth, but are clean? It’s far easier for sponsors to support and pressure their athletes and sever ties when the truth comes out. The blame is heaped onto the athlete, but is he/she entirely at fault? These are questions I ask myself any time a doping incident surfaces on the news.

My opinion of road cycling is a fairly well supported one, but I am not trying to implicate any people or accuse riders. I spend most of my time cavorting around with freeriders who love the sport, and love to share it with others. The pure passion I see in every pro downhill racer and elite level freerider is inspiring. It reminds me that in the face of cycling’s biggest black mark, there are still role models on two wheels. It may not be where the big money is, but personally I’d rather see athletes with integrity and ardor for their profession and their sport.

Shredding trails, not drug tests.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

dsrider

Chimp
Feb 4, 2010
good article and the best part of gravity events is even if someone does do some kind of doping it wont really matter because its about skills and experience that will get you on the podium, thats where gravity events separates itself from everyone else

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
PED's do not mean much in the gravity world, so naturally gravity racers don't take them. There is no temptation.

But if PED's ensured you a podium spot, that would make an interesting dilemma.