Quantcast

Down shifting problems

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have problems getting shifting with the rear derailleur. Shifting down the derailleur hesitates but upshifting is not a problem. Is it correct that I have to loosen the cable to cure this?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I have problems getting shifting with the rear derailleur. Shifting down the derailleur hesitates but upshifting is not a problem. Is it correct that I have to loosen the cable to cure this?
The most common solution is to decrease cable tension by tightening the barrell adjuster on the rear derailleur. If decreasing cable tension achieves smooth downshifting but causes hesitant upshifting, then its possible the cable is not moving smoothly thru one (or all) section of the housing.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
If it was good before, you likely need new housing and cables. Inclement weather speeds this need up. Other possible reasons include a bent hanger.

Something common to 6600 Ultegra and 7800 Dura Ace is the cable rubbing the guide inside the shifter and fraying, ultimately breaking. If it is one of those two shifters, even 5600 105, I'd change the cables. I find I need to change my cables pretty frequently with Sram as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it was good before, you likely need new housing and cables. Inclement weather speeds this need up. Other possible reasons include a bent hanger.

Something common to 6600 Ultegra and 7800 Dura Ace is the cable rubbing the guide inside the shifter and fraying, ultimately breaking. If it is one of those two shifters, even 5600 105, I'd change the cables. I find I need to change my cables pretty frequently with Sram as well.
Really? Sounds like his cables are just stretching/wearing in. Do you recommend new cables for everyone who need a turn of the barrel adjuster? New muffler bearings perhaps?

CBJ, just try increasing the cable tension by a half turn or so. If the downshifting gets better but not perfect give it a little more. If upshifts become a problem go back the other way a little bit.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its 7800 Dura Ace. Bike bought used and the cables were used so that could be the reason. I will try to decrease cable tension and see what happen first. Just strange that would be the solution I thought cables normally stretch over time.

Westy just saw your post you are saying increase but Banshee rider says decrease???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Its 7800 Dura Ace. Bike bought used and the cables were used so that could be the reason. I will try to decrease cable tension and see what happen first. Just strange that would be the solution I thought cables normally stretch over time.

Westy just saw your post you are saying increase but Banshee rider says decrease???
I might be a little confused by what you mean by down/up. Down shifting to me is going into a bigger gear but you might be meaning going into a smaller gear. Your title says downshifting but the post might be talking about upshifting.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Really? Sounds like his cables are just stretching/wearing in. Do you recommend new cables for everyone who need a turn of the barrel adjuster? New muffler bearings perhaps?

CBJ, just try increasing the cable tension by a half turn or so. If the downshifting gets better but not perfect give it a little more. If upshifts become a problem go back the other way a little bit.
I could see he was trying to say it's having a lag in shifting to a higher gear. I am trained to reverse diagnostics, unfortunately. More than half of the time people get it backwards.

I also have worked on more than 20 Shimano shifters that have had cables fray or break.

btw - suggesting someone spend $10 on cables, or $20 or so on cables and housings doesn't seem too unreasonable. I also know he bought the bike second hand, while I couldn't remember the gruppo on it.

Just trying to help him know what to look for. Way to help him make it upshift worse than it already did. ;)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van

So your saying the bike shifts poorly into higher (smaller sized) gears? But shifting to lrger sized lower gears is fine? If that's the issue, probably new cable and housing time.

Up shifting is always to a higher gear just like in a car. Downshifting is going to a lower gear.

Last edited: