Quantcast

Downhill at Durango?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving to Cortez.

Is there any DH at Purgatory? I remember someone saying there was a WC or something like that there once.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Good question. Yes, there was a WC there a long time ago. I'm guessing 2003-2004? I think they held it two years in a row. One was muddy, the other dry. Great memory for remembering useless knowledge, eh? As far as riding goes, there's got to be something. Ft. Lewis usually always does well in mtb competitions, including DH. Check around some more. This board moves pretty slow, though. So you may get better response from the DH forum or the Front Range or Western Slope forum on mtbr.

Oh, Purgatory is now Durango Mtn Resort or something like that. That's a great area for skiing with the above, Telluride and Silverton all within a couple of hours, depending on weather/road conditions.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
WC was 2001, though there were nationals there 02, 03, and 04...... Sorry, can't be much more help than that.....

T-Boner

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Durango
There are a few shuttles around but you'll have to know some locals to find them. The only legal on is log chutes up junctions creek. Purgatory doesn't have any "legal" DH trails either, including the old wc course. But there are enough DH trails to keep you busy. You just have to know people.