Quantcast

Downhill Bike Recommendations/Comparison

John_E88

Chimp
Mar 19, 2014
Wiltshire, UK
Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed reading some articles on this site so I finally registered today. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with my questions...

I currently do Dirt Jumping on a 24" wheeled bike but I am planning on starting to do some Downhill riding (I have done some before on rental bikes at the local-ish bike park and I love it). I have found a bike I like alot and it seems very good value for a brand new Downhill rig... My budget would be about £2500 but the bike I've found is £1900 (see below). Am I going to regret buying this/should I get the more expensive version they offer (both are below for comparison).

By the way I'm about 5ft 7" and weigh about 140lbs so I'm a skinny guy haha.

Any comments or other recommendations for the same price are welcome.

Thanks,

John

DHX Comparison 1.jpg

DHX Comparison 2.jpg

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The more expensive model is worth the extra cash but since you are starting you may want to buy a cheaper bike and spend it on bike trips and uplifts. Since you are from UK just buy the cheaper one and go to PDS in the summer.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
The difference between the two builds is the fork and shock. The fork and shock on the more expensive one are high end components (more adjustments), but as a beginner, all those fiddly bits and knobs may be a pain in the ass. I'd say go for the cheaper build, which still offers plenty of performance and durability, and have some left over money.