Quantcast

Downhill Tires in 2017 Minions or is there anything new?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I know no one rides DH anymore but my giant stockpile of Minions has been depleted (lasted me 3 years) and so I'm forced to buy something new. Last 2 seasons were bad for me so I stopped reading about bikes not to get frustrated. Are there any new options for DH tires or should I stick to DHF x2 / DHF + HR II / Wet Scream. I'm tempted by Continental Der Kaiser but they have 2 different models called that and it's more confusing than talking to my Bavarian Contrarian stepfather about Politics.

Also tagging @kidwoo just because not doing that is like being commissioner Gordon and not using the bat signal.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I don’t have kidwoo levels of expertise with tires but I constantly switch them up. Schwalbe stuff is ok if you go with the super gravity stuff otherwise they seem puncture prone and the sidewalls are too fragile imo. Otherwise they perform pretty good when they’re fresh, wear is not excellent though and they seem to be too willing to relinquish their lugs on the terrain I ride. My top pick for dry dusty trails is the Michelin Wild Rock’r2 in the Magix reinforced variety (a mouthful) it’s not what you’d call fast rolling though so if the terrain is less demanding I put a WildAM out back in the same compound also reinforced. I find it to have acceptable levels of grip on anything that isn’t crazy steep, it’s fast rolling and has decent cornering stability with a predictable drift. It’s almost a semi slick but with a touch more braking traction. Otherwise I stick with Minions in the sticky 3c offering. Some of the ones they pawn off these days with minion written on the sidewall are questionable at best. When traction is the #1 goal they are damn hard to beat and the dhrii is pretty rad front and rear also. I’m telling you though if you like the minion in the dry check out the Rock’r2 it surprised the hell out of me. Too many tires too little time.

-edit- I see you’re after dh tires. Disregard the bit about the wild am... I was thinking Bro-duro tires.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Minion DHF for drier conditions, Magic Mary for steeper stuff where rolling resistance doesn't matter as much. I've heard good things about e.13 tyres from the guys running them but I haven't tried them myself.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@norbar did you ever buy maxxis stuff from 26bikes.pl? They're almost 2x cheaper than here but are never in stock. Does it take long for them to show up?

Otherwise people near me seem to be liking the new addix Magic Mary. Either that maxxis. Never met any DH guys using continentals.
26bikes.com is an offshoot of the biggest polish gravity oriented online bike shop (that's a mouthfull) - Rowerowy.com and that shop is legit and known for good pricing. They even link to it at their polish site. Never ordered from them since I use the local version but it should be legit.

As for MM is there a new version? The old ones I bought 4 years ago are ok but nothing special

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Minion DHF for drier conditions, Magic Mary for steeper stuff where rolling resistance doesn't matter as much. I've heard good things about e.13 tyres from the guys running them but I haven't tried them myself.
Wouldn't shorty serve the same function as the MM? E13 are not for me since i'm in a financial ditch and still riding 26''

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don’t have kidwoo levels of expertise with tires but I constantly switch them up..
One of these things leads to the other :D

Norbar: My fairly well known list that I don't really stray from unless someone magically comes out with something that looks good (which in this case only applies to one tire, that gwinn freedom eagle thing from onza)

Bontrager G5
Maxxis DHR2
Maxxis Minion OG
Specialzed Butcher

Haven't ridden an Onza tequila but it'll probably be on the list soon. If michelin ever comes out with a dh version of that WR2 I'll probably explode in delirious joy.

You're on your own on mud tires. Udi will cry if I don't say dirty dan so there I said it. But I usually have a HR2 sitting around that serves me well in the limited mud I ride.

No one really knows what they're doing when it comes to designing tires (still!) and 'trying something new' really does just encourage the idiots getting paid to put this shit out, as well as waste your money.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One of these things leads to the other :D

Norbar: My fairly well known list that I don't really stray from unless someone magically comes out with something that looks good (which in this case only applies to one tire, that gwinn freedom eagle thing from onza)

Bontrager G5
Maxxis DHR2
Maxxis Minion OG
Specialzed Butcher

Haven't ridden an Onza tequila but it'll probably be on the list soon. If michelin ever comes out with a dh version of that WR2 I'll probably explode in delirious joy.

You're on your own on mud tires. Udi will cry if I don't say dirty dan so there I said it. But I usually have a HR2 sitting around that serves me well in the limited mud I ride.

No one really knows what they're doing when it comes to designing tires (still!) and 'trying something new' really does just encourage the idiots getting paid to put this shit out, as well as waste your money.
Thanks. I though something changed. I remember you were fond of Bontragers, DHFs and Butchers but since enduro made looking for 2 ply dh specific tires confusing (why can't they just name shit like maxxis used to - rubber stickiness/sidewall thickness)

For some reason I thought you hated DHR2's which seemed strange because they looked fine to me.

Also nothing about Conti Kaiser? I may have a good deal on them. As for Michelin do they have a softer compound? I tried some of their tires 2 years ago in Bali and while Volcanic soil has less grip than ice when when they felt rather bad on the roots too compared to 42a maxxis, 35a hutchinsons (or something other sub40 that lasted for a day but had insane grip they offered 10 years ago) and Conti super chilli

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DHR2s are the shit.

The kaisers have too much space between the sideknobs so they drift weird, they wear oddly and the last one I rode kind of fell apart as I was on it.

I mean free is cool but even 'at a discount' I personally still wouldn't waste my time. They also have a weird braking edge on the centerknobs that makes them squirm a little under leaned brake dragging. Meh.

I live in shit dirt so I don't have time to dick around with maybe, just because it's different.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
DHR2s are the shit.

The kaisers have too much space between the sideknobs so they drift weird, they wear oddly and the last one I rode kind of fell apart as I was on it.

I mean free is cool but even 'at a discount' I personally still wouldn't waste my time. They also have a weird braking edge on the centerknobs that makes them squirm a little under leaned brake dragging. Meh.

I live in shit dirt so I don't have time to dick around with maybe, just because it's different.
They make sense for the front too? Or DHF + DHR2?

As for Kaisers - there have been like 2 or 3 versions of them so that's really confusing. I rode a set of fresh ones on my fathers bike since being 60 means he isn't riding that much dh so they were basically new and they seemed fine but that was on a bike setup for someone 20kg heavier.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
kidwoo wrote a bit about the DHR2 on blister gear review. You will find some answers there. I like the DHR2 out front for steep stuff, it offers significantly more braking power compared to the DHF. The DHF on the other hand keeps directions a bit better, esp. on loose stuff and lasts longer.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just can't get on with the DHR2 on the front. I guess I rely heavily on the DHF's huge gap between the center and shoulder knobs to corner confidently.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I just can't get on with the DHR2 on the front. I guess I rely heavily on the DHF's huge gap between the center and shoulder knobs to corner confidently.
have you tried trimming the outer center knobs a bit?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The only DHR2 I have is up front on an enduro bike and for that it works really well (Better than a DHF on really steep tight stuff because of it's braking performance).
Have you tried adjusting your DH cornering style so that you only endo/stoppie round the turns?

#Steeze

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Why should I trim tires and/or adjust riding style when I can just use a DHF? :crazy:

I do like to try new equipment to change things up and see if there is something better, but as they say "can't teach an old dog new tricks". I have always found the DHF to be the best tire for me and my riding style. The only thing better in certain conditions are spikes. But thats rare.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorry dude. I wasn't being serious. (though the pic might give this away)

I am an old dog so do still use (and prefer) the DHF upfront for DH

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
As far as I'm concerned there's only 3 tires on the market: DHF, DHR, and Wild Rock'r2. The latter is a bit of a one trick pony though with no DH option. I find they only likes dry, very dry, moon dust rocky dry. They pack with mud easily, resist shedding mud, and just don't penetrate good soil well either. For those that ride shit soil, and rocks on top of rocks, they are crazy good. In the right environment, they're tough to be beat. I love them, but when the monsoons roll in, they ride the bench. Minion's are much more versatile.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
As far as I'm concerned there's only 3 tires on the market: DHF, DHR, and Wild Rock'r2. The latter is a bit of a one trick pony though with no DH option. I find they only likes dry, very dry, moon dust rocky dry. They pack with mud easily, resist shedding mud, and just don't penetrate good soil well either...
Gospel.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Why should I trim tires and/or adjust riding style when I can just use a DHF? :crazy:
because modifying shit to work better for you then being able to bitch about why the designers didn't just do it this way from the start is half the fun of dirt bicycles?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also nothing about Conti Kaiser? I may have a good deal on them. As for Michelin do they have a softer compound? I tried some of their tires 2 years ago in Bali and while Volcanic soil has less grip than ice when when they felt rather bad on the roots too compared to 42a maxxis, 35a hutchinsons (or something other sub40 that lasted for a day but had insane grip they offered 10 years ago) and Conti super chilli
I had Contis, switched to g5s. Couldn't get the kaisers to mount tubeless. They had good grip and pretty neutral cornering, but they would pinch flat if you said "rock". G5s offer far better traction, braking, and confidence when things get yucky. Plus they mounted tubeless and saved a huge chunk of weight.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I had Contis, switched to g5s. Couldn't get the kaisers to mount tubeless. They had good grip and pretty neutral cornering, but they would pinch flat if you said "rock". G5s offer far better traction, braking, and confidence when things get yucky. Plus they mounted tubeless and saved a huge chunk of weight.
I use 150g maxxis tubes instead of tubeless because I'm too lazy/don't have airshot though I still run 823s on the rear so the weight difference is small and I can live with some extra weight. I lost the weight weenie craze around the same time the rest of the forum did and as long as my bike stays under 17kg i'm happy.

G5's are tempting though since some silly people sell them off their treks. Is the rubber compound relatively soft?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
To be honest, I'm so over the tubeless thing too. Most Maxxis tires do indeed mount easily, but eventually you get shop rage trying to install one then cut if off road, fart around trying to plug and eventually stick a tube in it. I have started to just shortcut out all the cursing, rage, and sealant mess and just start with tubes to begin with. So much easier to fix trail side.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How big pressure are you running in the DH tires?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shortys are fan-fucking-tastic as a mud tire. It has to get really bad for me to want to run one in back, because they roll like shit, so I mostly run one in front with a DHR 2 in back all winter. They're spiky enough to dig in great in soft dirt, without killing you at the first sight of a wet root or rock. Big fan.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How big pressure are you running in the DH tires?
I had been doing like 28/32-34 f/r for the contis. Now I'm at like 26/28. It's a difficult comparison, because there are other benefits of going tubeless (lower rolling resistance, faster acceleration, perhaps some grip), but the tires themselves are vastly different, and I had to run a DH tube in the conti to keep it from popping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I use 150g maxxis tubes instead of tubeless because I'm too lazy/don't have airshot though I still run 823s on the rear so the weight difference is small and I can live with some extra weight. I lost the weight weenie craze around the same time the rest of the forum did and as long as my bike stays under 17kg i'm happy.

G5's are tempting though since some silly people sell them off their treks. Is the rubber compound relatively soft?
yeah the contis kept popping with trail tubes. finally had to pop an ultra-thick DH tube in there. Still had to run it at too-high pressure to keep it from pinch flatting. If you have to run super high pressure, then what's the point? You may be able to run the G5s with more success with lower pressure and thinner tubes. I had few problems back when I ran minions but wanted to try out tubeless. I must say the rolling resistance makes the bike much faster on jumpy trails.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Magic Mary (particularly in the new purple addix compound) slays.

@norbar if it was 4 years ago you might have run the Muddy Mary rather than the newer (and completely different) Magic. I'd suggest trying the new MM in addix purple front, and addix orange rear if you want some lifespan. I run purple both ends. They are priced reasonably from bike24. I run SG casings both ends (1180-1200g in 27.5"), but the full DH casing may be appropriate for the rear if you like lower pressures.

From Maxxis I like the DHF (for dry / loose / gravelly conditions) and the Shorty is decent for wet / moderately mixed conditions, but Schwalbe's compounds are superior if you care about traction, and the Magic pattern is especially good in vastly varying conditions - whereas Maxxis always tends to be more of a one-trick pony.

When it comes to actual DH, Schwalbe just make flat out better options than Maxxis IMO (and I still run both brands - Maxxis on trailbike). Where they do fall behind is in the lack of an exo-like offering for trailbike riders who want a "moderately light but durable" option - which is completely irrelevant for a full DH application. Many responses here are from an enduro/trailbike perspective.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Haven't ridden any Addix Schwalbes, but their previous rubber compounds literally fall apart. Hard to consider taking a chance on them considering how good Maxxis rubber is and has been for ages.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Udi brings up a good point, Maxxis compounds don't seem to be as good as the ole Slow Reezay and Super Tacky. Never was a fan of the 3C even when it first came out.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Udi brings up a good point, Maxxis compounds don't seem to be as good as the ole Slow Reezay and Super Tacky. Never was a fan of the 3C even when it first came out.
I seriously wish they'd kept those compounds as options. Half the compulsory updates that have come out for the Maxxis range are just some kind of industry gamble on how shit they can make something good before we stop buying it.

I'm with Udi on the Schwalbes for grip though. Those things are brilliant for sticking to everything in a wide range of conditions. Their durability, rolling resistance and ability to hold air might be dubious though. Getting them off bike24 makes them a much better value option as well.