Quantcast

Downhill Tires in 2017 Minions or is there anything new?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
homosayswhat?

They're actually better than the old super tacky because they hold up longer.
Listing them on your webpage and actually having them available are two different things.
Disclaimer: I ride 26 and live in Yurp.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Magic Mary (particularly in the new purple addix compound) slays.

@norbar if it was 4 years ago you might have run the Muddy Mary rather than the newer (and completely different) Magic. I'd suggest trying the new MM in addix purple front, and addix orange rear if you want some lifespan. I run purple both ends. They are priced reasonably from bike24. I run SG casings both ends (1180-1200g in 27.5"), but the full DH casing may be appropriate for the rear if you like lower pressures.

From Maxxis I like the DHF (for dry / loose / gravelly conditions) and the Shorty is decent for wet / moderately mixed conditions, but Schwalbe's compounds are superior if you care about traction, and the Magic pattern is especially good in vastly varying conditions - whereas Maxxis always tends to be more of a one-trick pony.

When it comes to actual DH, Schwalbe just make flat out better options than Maxxis IMO (and I still run both brands - Maxxis on trailbike). Where they do fall behind is in the lack of an exo-like offering for trailbike riders who want a "moderately light but durable" option - which is completely irrelevant for a full DH application. Many responses here are from an enduro/trailbike perspective.
I run 42a on my maxxis tires and just accept the wear. The last schwalbe I bought was Muddy Marry in that enduro casing and soft rubber and I didn't trust that tire. It was far less predictable than anything from maxxis and I felt too much give in the knobs though that was 4 years ago so it may be better now.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Listing them on your webpage and actually having them available are two different things.
Disclaimer: I ride 26 and live in Yurp.
bike24 has dhf 2.5 and dhr ii 2.4 dh wire bead 26 super tacky in stock. that's a big yurp send you bike stuff website, isn't it?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you would check out the european distributors and Maxxis webstores you would see that 26" DH tires in Super Tacky or UST are quite rare. And who uses those in 2.7 anyway? ;)
You should if you can find them. In no way shape or form are those things 2.7. I've never liked the "2.5" on the front of my dh bike anyway. Kinda tiny.

They don't even sell them over there? We gonna have to get together an army and release freedom on europe again. It would be immoral not to.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Magic Mary (particularly in the new purple addix compound) slays.

@norbar if it was 4 years ago you might have run the Muddy Mary rather than the newer (and completely different) Magic. I'd suggest trying the new MM in addix purple front, and addix orange rear if you want some lifespan. I run purple both ends. They are priced reasonably from bike24. I run SG casings both ends (1180-1200g in 27.5"), but the full DH casing may be appropriate for the rear if you like lower pressures.

From Maxxis I like the DHF (for dry / loose / gravelly conditions) and the Shorty is decent for wet / moderately mixed conditions, but Schwalbe's compounds are superior if you care about traction, and the Magic pattern is especially good in vastly varying conditions - whereas Maxxis always tends to be more of a one-trick pony.

When it comes to actual DH, Schwalbe just make flat out better options than Maxxis IMO (and I still run both brands - Maxxis on trailbike). Where they do fall behind is in the lack of an exo-like offering for trailbike riders who want a "moderately light but durable" option - which is completely irrelevant for a full DH application. Many responses here are from an enduro/trailbike perspective.
Isn't snake skin similar to EXO? I've only tried SG but I thought SK was an EXO equivalent.

Schwalbe lacks an aggressive dry conditions tire. For that reason I'm having a hard time seeing why you feel Schwalbe has better options than Maxxis. Maxxis covers everything from desert dry to slop fest mud, in casings ranging from light EXO, mid weight DD, and DH. They've got the best catalogue on the market and the only company that's had a pattern last since the begging of time.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
bike24 has dhf 2.5 and dhr ii 2.4 dh wire bead 26 super tacky in stock. that's a big yurp send you bike stuff website, isn't it?
Nice, didn't see that. This summer when I wanted to buy some everyone was pretty low on stock or sold out. So I decided to use some of my old stock of Intense tires. They are actually not bad (for 5-8€/tire), only drawback is that you can't run them tubeless. Still can't drift like Kovarik. :(

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You should if you can find them. In no way shape or form are those things 2.7. I've never liked the "2.5" on the front of my dh bike anyway. Kinda tiny.
Good info, will try to track one down. Do you run them on 29 mm inner width rims? I run 21-27 mm, so the 2.7 might be too round.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
People who are slagging Schwalbe haven't actually ridden the specific models I listed, guaranteed.

Udi brings up a good point, Maxxis compounds don't seem to be as good as the ole Slow Reezay and Super Tacky. Never was a fan of the 3C even when it first came out.
Agreed 100%.

I'm with Udi on the Schwalbes for grip though. Those things are brilliant for sticking to everything in a wide range of conditions. Their durability, rolling resistance and ability to hold air might be dubious though. Getting them off bike24 makes them a much better value option as well.
Agreed, but IMO the durability is on par for the traction offered depending on the compound chosen. I think Addix Purple (front) and Addix Orange (rear) is probably a good balance, for those who like grip but want better wear life.

I'm having a hard time seeing why you feel Schwalbe has better options than Maxxis.
Read my original post again. Not having a go at you, but I was quite specific with regard to why they are better. Keep in mind norbar is from EU and you can't always choose a single condition for an entire track (let alone a day's riding).

Isn't snake skin similar to EXO? I've only tried SG but I thought SK was an EXO equivalent.
It's not.
You can compare actual weights in sizes to figure out that the casing is thinner. If you like the EXO casing, I'd stick to Maxxis - there is currently no Schwalbe equivalent in my book - which is definitely their major flaw (for trail/enduro bikes). Snakeskin is thinner, SG is thicker. Current SG holds up to DH for me, but YMMV.

Schwalbe is expensive garbage.
Schwalbe is a brand.
I'm glad your experience with one model also covers every product in the lineup.

Which DH model in their range are you using on your DH bike?
The thread title is pretty specific. I run and rate Maxxis 3C on my trailbike as I said, nothing against them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@kidwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh... A day that's easy to say while slurring your words.

How convenient.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I run SG casings both ends (1180-1200g in 27.5"), but the full DH casing may be appropriate for the rear if you like lower pressures.

Are you running these tubeless? Looking for cheap but sustainable ways to lose weight on the DH sled. Cheers mate.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I run the WildRock'r2 on the DH bike tubeless.
So far no problems (WTB 25mm internal rims)
I have flatted with normal weight tubes due to snakebite.

Note that I am getting old fat and slow, so your mileage may vary. :busted:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@Udi one more question though Ben probably knows that too. Are the compounds different from what Schwalbe offered 3-4 years ago? What has changed over the last 3-4 years? Or is the only thing that it's hard to get non shit rubber maxxis tires?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@Udi one more question though Ben probably knows that too. Are the compounds different from what Schwalbe offered 3-4 years ago? What has changed over the last 3-4 years? Or is the only thing that it's hard to get non shit rubber maxxis tires?
The new Addix rubber is completely different. The purple rubber is softer than the Vert Star. The knobs ripping off thing doesn't happen on the Addix rubber from what I've seen.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The new Addix rubber is completely different. The purple rubber is softer than the Vert Star. The knobs ripping off thing doesn't happen on the Addix rubber from what I've seen.
This is good. The knobs on the Vert Star MM felt strange. I didn't rip off any but they felt flexy for some reason. I really appreciate good rubber and I love rooty tracks so I will give the new Schwalbes a try. I still have great memories of that old Hutchinson rubber which was crazy soft (softer than 40 from Maxxis). They didn't last too long but the it allowed you to attack roots was amazing. Led me to some silly crashes after I switched.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I heard that the addix compounds have been developed by the same person who developed the Gripton compound on the new Specialized tyres. I did not try them but since specsh tyres are usually much cheaper in Europe than maxxis, I though it was worth mentioning

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is it just me or do those knobs look damn short?

Spacing seems........excessive. I think that's a little different from the trail bike ones no?
Nope, totally agreed on both counts.

A buddy who I think is mostly reasonably on point with such things tried the trail bike ones and thought they had potential, but the casing was just too squared off, even on a comparatively narrow (~25mm, IIRC) rim. For whatever that's worth.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just looked at the weight of the dh ones. Kinda light for a real dh casing.
I thought the same, with the webite quoting 990g for the Enduro tyre and 1150 for the DH in 27.5

Thats a fair bit lighter than a DD Maxxis option (~1075g) or DH Minion (1390g). I'd love if they managed to make a durable tyre that light, but not sure I wanna gamble on one. Maybe if I see one going cheap - I've heard they're sticky as anything.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
This is good. The knobs on the Vert Star MM felt strange. I didn't rip off any but they felt flexy for some reason. I really appreciate good rubber and I love rooty tracks so I will give the new Schwalbes a try. I still have great memories of that old Hutchinson rubber which was crazy soft (softer than 40 from Maxxis). They didn't last too long but the it allowed you to attack roots was amazing. Led me to some silly crashes after I switched.
A lot of the World Cup riders switched from SG casing to the DH casing when going from Vert Star to the new Addix rubber. The new rubber is softer and a few guys didn't like the squirmy feel so they went with the stiffer DH casing. If you thought the Vert Star side knobs flexed too much then an Orange Addix might be better than the purple. Brendan F. runs a purple DH casing and Cush Core in the rear.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I remember getting a lot of cheap tires when Michelin came out with the C16S, a lot of the pros didn't like them for exactly that same reason. GM gave us some at Kaprun 2003. Maxxis Super Tacky and Slow Reezay also come to my mind, Slow Reezay was awesome on rooty, off camber and steep natural terrain but too squirmy on rocks and gravel.

History's repeating?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A lot of the World Cup riders switched from SG casing to the DH casing when going from Vert Star to the new Addix rubber. The new rubber is softer and a few guys didn't like the squirmy feel so they went with the stiffer DH casing. If you thought the Vert Star side knobs flexed too much then an Orange Addix might be better than the purple. Brendan F. runs a purple DH casing and Cush Core in the rear.
Do you run MM's for PDS bike park trails too? I think Purple might be good for local trails but for the dusty French summer orange might make more sense. Or maybe the DH casing alone will work? I used the old enduro casing only because it old MM was my tire for boggy, slow trails so I doubt a tire that's good for WC guys will be bad for me. I am just anal about some tire traits but I'll be also probably really slow this season after the previous season was only pump track riding, getting overwhelmed at life and gaining 10kg

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
I thought the same, with the webite quoting 990g for the Enduro tyre and 1150 for the DH in 27.5

Thats a fair bit lighter than a DD Maxxis option (~1075g) or DH Minion (1390g). I'd love if they managed to make a durable tyre that light, but not sure I wanna gamble on one. Maybe if I see one going cheap - I've heard they're sticky as anything.
Either there's been a materials breakthrough no one is talking about, or we'er simply seeing some mid weight casings being advertised as DH. I know which one I think is more likely. I would still try the lg1 if it was offered in 26. Lg1 weights are right inline with what I want for my all around bike. I'm assuming I would still want full DH, for full DH.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do you run MM's for PDS bike park trails too? I think Purple might be good for local trails but for the dusty French summer orange might make more sense. Or maybe the DH casing alone will work? I used the old enduro casing only because it old MM was my tire for boggy, slow trails so I doubt a tire that's good for WC guys will be bad for me. I am just anal about some tire traits but I'll be also probably really slow this season after the previous season was only pump track riding, getting overwhelmed at life and gaining 10kg
Are you on 650b now or 26"?

I think the casing you choose depends on the balance of durability and traction you want + what you are using inside them. Sounds like you're using tubes, you can pick different ones depending on the casing to balance out the pinchflat resistance.

I found with the VertStar Magic in SG casing, I had to run pressures slightly higher than I'd like (compared to a full DH casing) to maintain compliance and traction, with ~200g tube front and ~280g tube rear.

With the new Addix Purple compound (also in SG casing), I found I got an excellent balance of compliance and traction at the same slightly higher pressures (in both cases this also meant good sidewall stability / low squirming).

My suggestions would be:
  • Use Addix Purple for front, hands down.
  • Use Addix Orange for rear IF you want better wear life. I use purple both ends.
  • Use the full DH casing if you want to stick with your lightweight 150g tubes, alternatively, jump up to Maxxis Freeride tubes (~280g in 26", ~310g in 27.5") either just in the rear or both ends, and try the lighter SG casing. You could also consider just using an SG on the front. The benefit is that the SG uses a kevlar bead and sheds some weight from where it is not neccessary, so it's the superior casing provided you can get a tube (or tubeless) setup that works with it for you. I use SG both ends, and Bucko ran the same for a season - although keep in mind CC adds some durability on his setup at lower pressures, if you run tubes you'll need a little more pressure OR slightly heavier tubes compared to using the full DH casing.
Basically, you have plenty of options once you understand the balancing act.

I think you'll like it. Bucko and I both love them.
I am yet to use a product with better grip than this.

Last edited: