Quantcast

droid pro or ???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ok so it came to light yesterday that the droid pro will be available next week or 2. Finally an android phone in the form factor I'm (sorta) looking for. I say sorta b/c I'd prefer a portrait slider (think palm pre form factor, but android). Also I'm up for renewal on verizon so the timing is about perfect.

Regardless, I'm a little underwhelmed on the hardware. clocked at 1.0ghz when the droid 2 global is gonna hit only a few weeks later clocked at 1.2?

I've heard rumors that dell might be making an android variant of the venue (portrait slider w/ winpo7) but that seems destined for t-mobile. and switching carriers isn't an option.

anyone hear any rumors about other portrait slider phones destined for big red?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I realized the other day that, as nice as WP7 looks, I think I'm going to settle in with Android for the long haul. There are a small handful of really nice, expensive apps that I'm not willing to buy over multiple platforms.

Droid Pro looks nice. I wish it had a freakin' navigation device. I can't figure out why so many manufacturers have moved away from that.

Have you used a 1ghz phone? Really, they're fast. Any stutter or slowdown is generally attributable to lack of GPU acceleration or a slightly rough OS. I've overclocked my Droid X to 1.2ghz and ran it there for quite a while, and honestly, it's just not that big a difference. The biggest place I noticed it to help? Benchmarks. Unless you spend your whole day benchmarking your phone and comparing, 1ghz is fast and 1.2 is not going to make up for a lack of GPU acceleration.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I realized the other day that, as nice as WP7 looks, I think I'm going to settle in with Android for the long haul. There are a small handful of really nice, expensive apps that I'm not willing to buy over multiple platforms.
WP7 looks great, and I am a sucker for super clean design of the UI, and from what i've seen they nailed it, but I'm sure it will get more refined in the future. But I definitely agree, I'll let wp7 evolve a little bit more before i test the waters.

Droid Pro looks nice. I wish it had a freakin' navigation device. I can't figure out why so many manufacturers have moved away from that.
am i translating this properly as "no gps"? because that would completely kill it for me.

Have you used a 1ghz phone? Really, they're fast. Any stutter or slowdown is generally attributable to lack of GPU acceleration or a slightly rough OS. I've overclocked my Droid X to 1.2ghz and ran it there for quite a while, and honestly, it's just not that big a difference. The biggest place I noticed it to help? Benchmarks. Unless you spend your whole day benchmarking your phone and comparing, 1ghz is fast and 1.2 is not going to make up for a lack of GPU acceleration.
Yea, Liz has the droid 2. Definitely fast, but I still notice some stutter and delay. Some of that may also be the implementation of motoblur, which I've heard is going to be implemented to even less of extent on the pro. Regardless, if it has motoblur, I'm rooting to remove it.

And how do you know I don't sit around and benchmark things all day long? You know I'm a nerd at heart :nerd:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, "no navigation device" means "no scroll ball/touch pad/optical joystick" - no way to navigate around the device except through the touch screen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, "no navigation device" means "no scroll ball/touch pad/optical joystick" - no way to navigate around the device except through the touch screen.
sorry it was early and I wasn't fully fueled up on coffee yet.

But yea I agree. WOuld be a VERY nice touch. even a d-pad would be nice.

edit: re: manufacturers moving away from this: moving parts = more opportunities to break

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently the device isn't balanced all that great? apparently its top heavy from having the screen on the top and the keyboard on bottom... and the feel of the keyboard may not be what everyone is looking for (doesn't feel 100% solid?). Was told to "get some hands on time with the device" before making a decision. But apparently the OS runs well on it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apparently some people have pre-ordered online and have already gotten shipping notices.

i've heard that the palm pre 2 might be a worthy contender....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I might switch back to Verizon early. I was going to wait until Feb. or March but Verizon has the new $9.99 Talk/Text/Data unlimited add-on (69.99/month for a single line or $19.98 if you are adding to a family share plan) versus the old 29.99 plan. If the Droid 2 Global gets good reviews and I can get it without the stupid $100 mail-in rebate debit card nonsense, I'll probably switch earlier.