Quantcast

Dual Ring Gods

I have heard of people running dual ring gods as a chain guide for urban bikes. I am very interested in doing this, but before i go ordering two bash gaurds, i was just wondering how do you do this as there is only room for one bash gaurd and one chain ring on a crank spider. do you just mount one on the inside of the chainring? will the bolts reach, or be really weak? I have azonic 3-pc cranks, so i can move them to the right to make room. that's one thing i have figured out. any help, thanks

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
you'll probably need some extra-long chainring bolts to go thru both bashguards and the ring. put the chainring on the "middle ring" position on your spider (which is on the inside of the spider, the side facing the frame). put the bashguard on the inside of the chainring, and on the other side of the spider. run the bolts through, and you're set. just space the crank out a bit more to make room...

remember that you'll probably also need a few mm of "chainring bolt spacers" to get the inside bashguard to the correct distance from the chainring (so the guard doesn't interfere with the chain)

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
any bike with conventionally oriented chainstays (welded to the BB) is going to have some clearance issues with this set-up that may or may not be worked out by changing to a longer BB spindle. longer BB spindle = jacked up chainlines so don't get carried away.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I asked a while back if anyone had run dual ring gods or any of the dual-rotating-plate variety of chainguides on a Specialized P3. Someone posted that they had run the MRP Slalom guide on a P3.

So, since I officially hate my TruVativ Hussefelt guide, I'm thinking it is OK to run a dual ring god or other bashguard setup on my P3. Clearance looks OK, and I'm thinking 34 or 36t chainring with 36 or 38t-max bashguards (so the chain doesn't get over the guard quite as easily)

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Now the debate: RaceFace, Blackspire Ring Gods, Gravity Check, or DMR Ring Thing

pic-shahs:

RaceFace:

BlackSpire Ring God:

Gravity Check:

DMR Ring Thing:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Shibby
I asked a while back if anyone had run dual ring gods or any of the dual-rotating-plate variety of chainguides on a Specialized P3. Someone posted that they had run the MRP Slalom guide on a P3.

So, since I officially hate my TruVativ Hussefelt guide, I'm thinking it is OK to run a dual ring god or other bashguard setup on my P3. Clearance looks OK, and I'm thinking 34 or 36t chainring with 36 or 38t-max bashguards (so the chain doesn't get over the guard quite as easily)

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Now the debate: RaceFace, Blackspire Ring Gods, Gravity Check, or DMR Ring Thing
Uh, any true bashguard is usually 1/4" thick, if not more. The inside plate on an MRP is very thin, like tinfoil. You'll need to space the dual bashguard setup outward even more to fit a guard much thicker than an MRP. I think you'll definately mess up your chainline. Very few bikes are designed to run a setup as wide as two fat bashguard and a chainring, and the spaces needed in between.

What I ran was an Evil guard on the outside (1/2" thick!) and an MRP inside plate (very thin). The Evil guard was slightly larger in diameter, so it took all the abuse. The MRP plate simply worked as my chainguide. It was very thin, so I only needed to space out things a little bit. It worked beautifully. Also, whatever guards you choose, make sure they are smooth, i.e. no teeth. If your chain rubs on a smooth bashguard, you have a little noise. If it rubs on a toothed guide, snag city!