Quantcast

dubstep vs real music

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok, so I'm not going to lie...I listen to both but one always wins...REAL music that is not some stupid remix or a song with the same artificial sounds. I mean I have huge respect for some people (like Deadmau5) but honestly...imo it's not real music. Let me post some examples. What do you guys think???

REAL

NOT REAL (but damn cool)

Real....again

NOT real (but still cool)

Just curious what you guys think. I mean I like music that takes real talent, not just some fat guy sitting behind a computer pushing buttons.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I mean, its described by such words as grime, filth, wobble, wompage, transformer sechs, bieber hate. it was also made popular by sampling a ton of other "music/sounds" and dropping an excessive amount of bass on top of it. It's typically made almost entirely on a computer and is typically around 140 BPM. Why would you try and classify it in the same boat as those instrument fiddlers who make real music? But what is music anyway?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i like some dubstep simply because it makes for good video background music...i think that's how i heard about it in the first place. it's a good filler in my playlists between my old school hardcore/metalcore/punk and what little bit of hip-hop that i can tolerate. sounds are sounds and as long as my ears are happy, i'm happy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last weekend I was in the car with my friend on the way to NH and he threw in a CD of some rap/dubstep type stuff........every song was LITERALLY 95% sampled from all sorts of other music. Retarded. Wish I could think of the name.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Now that I think of it, I do listen to Rou Reynold's dubstep stuff on occasion....but mostly because it's often thrown into various playlists with Enter Shikari's stuff.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
They pioneered a new style and sound that many rock bands now incorporate.

Eddy was one of the first rockers to use the guitar technique of tapping and was the first "big" musician to use high frequency feedback.
Doesn't make them not overrated.

And besides, tapping has been used for the better part of the 20th century, on everything from violins and ukelele's to jazz guitarists.

High frequency feedback? Isn't that what Jimi Hendrix messed around with a lot? Pretty sure he was considered a "big" musician...

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Who are you comparing them to when you call them over rated?

I'm not a big fan or anything but I still have to acknowledge that they were musically talented and original (Eddie at least). That's more than you can say about many popular bands.

Here's a quote from http://www.allmusic.com/artist/van-halen-p133911/biography

With their 1978 eponymous debut, Van Halen simultaneously rewrote the rules of rock guitar and hard rock in general. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen redefined what electric guitar could do, developing a blindingly fast technique with a variety of self-taught two-handed tapping, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and effects that mimicked the sounds of machines and animals. It was wildly inventive and over the top, equaled only by vocalist David Lee Roth, who brought the role of a metal singer to near-performance art standards. Roth wasn't blessed with great technique, unlike Eddie, but he had a flair for showmanship that was derived as much from lounge performers as Robert Plant. Together, they made Van Halen into the most popular American rock & roll band of the late '70s and early '80s, and in the process set the template for hard rock and heavy metal for the '80s.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Who are you comparing them to when you call them over rated?

I'm not a big fan or anything but I still have to acknowledge that they were musically talented and original (Eddie at least). That's more than you can say about many popular bands.

Here's a quote from http://www.allmusic.com/artist/van-halen-p133911/biography

With their 1978 eponymous debut, Van Halen simultaneously rewrote the rules of rock guitar and hard rock in general. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen redefined what electric guitar could do, developing a blindingly fast technique with a variety of self-taught two-handed tapping, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and effects that mimicked the sounds of machines and animals. It was wildly inventive and over the top, equaled only by vocalist David Lee Roth, who brought the role of a metal singer to near-performance art standards. Roth wasn't blessed with great technique, unlike Eddie, but he had a flair for showmanship that was derived as much from lounge performers as Robert Plant. Together, they made Van Halen into the most popular American rock & roll band of the late '70s and early '80s, and in the process set the template for hard rock and heavy metal for the '80s.

How can you backup an argument in which you're trying to justify talent, with that sentence in the same damn paragraph?:rofl::rofl:

Dubstep artists have lots of "flair" too, that make them a good artist?

How about the waiters from Chotchskies?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm trying to backup the fact that Van Halen (unlike Aerosmith or dubstep) is a musically talented group. The technical skills of the band's vocalist don't change my argument.

Would you say that Hendrix is not "real" music because he was a technically terrible vocalist?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm trying to backup the fact that Van Halen (unlike Aerosmith or dubstep) is a musically talented group. The technical skills of the band's vocalist don't change my argument.

Would you say that Hendrix is not "real" music because he was a technically terrible vocalist?
When you say Van Halen.......are we talking about the band or Eddie himself? Because I'm talking about the band.

Band = overrated
Eddie = yes, talented. IMO still a bit overrated, though not nearly as much as the band.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its just a band built around Eddie shredding on the guitar so I don't really see how there is a way to divide the two.

Edit: I love completely derailed threads.
i can't believe your arguing about someone like EVH with a guy that considers crab-core to be a real genre.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Rock isn't a complex form of music. You don't have to be a music major to figure out that contemporary three chord rock and pop is primitive music. Enjoyable to many, but not technically impressive.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rock isn't a complex form of music. You don't have to be a music major to figure out that contemporary three chord rock and pop is primitive music. Enjoyable to many, but not technically impressive.
How do you explain Yngwie Malmsteen then? I mean come on... He has opened for virtually everyone....