Quantcast

dubstep vs real music

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How so? Lets hear what you can do so we know exactly what fail is.... Then we can always have that as a benchmark to go by....
I need to be a musical prodigy to point out that the godfathers of hair metal are hardly the pinnacle of human musical accomplishment?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
When Van Halen and Aerosmith are your best examples of "real" music, you're so primed for fail...
Not really my best examples but two of my favorite bands, yes. I've listened to worse....like the Weird Al show I saw a couple months ago, that was just wrong.

Here's another band I've seen live a few times and they put on a good show/music (even though at this one the BEP's put on a better show). And yes, I was at this one also.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
Rock isn't a complex form of music. You don't have to be a music major to figure out that contemporary three chord rock and pop is primitive music. Enjoyable to many, but not technically impressive.
amen to that.

van halen was probably the biggest act out in pop music for a few years. the "monsters of rock" tour they headlined was an impressive line up for the 80s. i dunno if someone/thing/band can be overrated if... well if everyone thought they were great. if that's the case, if too many people like something, that would mean its overrated?

i was a music major in college. studied all kinds of stuff going for my masters too from gregorian chant to cage and pop. i know a lot about music, and i can dig dubstep for what it is. comparing dub or any electronic music to anything played "live" is a real tough comparison. its like comparing dancing to architecture (spelling?). if dub (or dub artists) claimed that dub was more complex than mahler 5 or
, i'd have a problem with that. but its dance music which has a function.

that said - i have dabbled in the electronic music world on and off for years. believe it or not, making something so simple actually sound very good is REALLY hard. plugging a drum machine and playing two notes on a keyboard can either sound fantastic, or really lame - and the line between the two is real hard to find.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I need to be a musical prodigy to point out that the godfathers of hair metal are hardly the pinnacle of human musical accomplishment?
Maybe then you could elaborate where he might fail by using those bands as examples.

My examples of thier greatness might go something like this:

They chose Ted Templeman to produce and coengineer much of Van Halens music and whom also had a hand in producing acts like Van Morrison, Little Feat and many others. Van Halen smartly had a career long association with him. Van Halen was immensly successful and hugely profitable, I would have to say thier greatness is only questioned by a few and mostly ignorant jealous fools.... I don't see the hair band parellel at all.

Aerosmith had Tim Collins as a Manager and he along with Peter Grant changed everything from cross genre Promotion, Recording and Intellectual Property rights, and efficiencies in Staging, Lighting, and Sound accompaniment. Aerosmith to this day is still one of the most profitable touring acts ever....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
that said - i have dabbled in the electronic music world on and off for years. believe it or not, making something so simple actually sound very good is REALLY hard. plugging a drum machine and playing two notes on a keyboard can either sound fantastic, or really lame - and the line between the two is real hard to find.
George Antheil figured out this genre a long time ago (1924):

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
George Antheil figured out this genre a long time ago (1924):

dude - i'll throw some 1880's - 1890's stuff at you that'll cook your noodle. but the real start of the real out stuff is credited to schoenberg. pierott lunaire. insane what that guy did in that thing. people must have vomited when they first heard it. its brilliant. plus crumb wasn't shooting for a genre with that one. i had the opportunity to meet him actually at a composers forum. there's a lot happening in that one i posted.

but since we're on the topic of electronic music. screw dub, let's drop some acid and get down to milton babbit!

all the ladies would fill the dance floor to that number. if people thought the beatles revolution #9 was groundbreaking, they missed the boat with musique concrete from the 40s and 50s (if we're talking about electronic music). ugh. i'm gonna derail this thread all the way back to gregorian chant.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
all the ladies would fill the dance floor to that number. if people thought the beatles revolution #9 was groundbreaking, they missed the boat with musique concrete from the 40s and 50s (if we're talking about electronic music). ugh. i'm gonna derail this thread all the way back to gregorian chant.
Any musical equal of Hieronymus Bosch doing stuff hundreds of years ahead of his time or would it be so radical it would be lost more easily than paintings?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Maybe then you could elaborate where he might fail by using those bands as examples.

My examples of thier greatness might go something like this:

They chose Ted Templeman to produce and coengineer much of Van Halens music and whom also had a hand in producing acts like Van Morrison, Little Feat and many others. Van Halen smartly had a career long association with him. Van Halen was immensly successful and hugely profitable, I would have to say thier greatness is only questioned by a few and mostly ignorant jealous fools.... I don't see the hair band parellel at all.

Aerosmith had Tim Collins as a Manager and he along with Peter Grant changed everything from cross genre Promotion, Recording and Intellectual Property rights, and efficiencies in Staging, Lighting, and Sound accompaniment. Aerosmith to this day is still one of the most profitable touring acts ever....
You forgot the well written lyrics. I hear Leonard Cohen puts on "Jump" when he has writer's block.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
This makes me bust up with laughter.

I will say, I enjoy the dub, including Skrillex. Though I have seen a DJ clear the floor by spinning it out of context (at a goth club, srsly?).

It is all music. Complaining about the sounds they use is as dumb as complaining about using a pedal to intentionally overdrive and distort a guitar amp. And what is the difference between an LFO that makes the dub bass wobble and a wah-wah? Both are frequency filters.

And Crab-Joe-Asshat needs to STFU in any thread about "real" or "good" music :)

Mooseknuckle

Chimp
Aug 3, 2011
Chicago Area
Yea ya'll should check out the skrillex and korn song, i like it, it's pretty creazy....and i actually LOVE dance music, so it's pretty amazing to me haha ya, let the hate resume :rant:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So let me get this straight. According to this thread good normal music consists of, Aerosmith, Van Halen and Korn?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If Satch or Vai laid this down, haters would have nothing to say. It is a cool melody.

There was a melody? Music is subjective and opinions are like assholes. Just like you I have one. My argument is that yours has warts and bleeding sores.

:weee:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There was a melody? Music is subjective and opinions are like assholes. Just like you I have one. My argument is that yours has warts and bleeding sores.

:weee:
You're very good at this internet thing. I'm just going to step back and watch the master school all your asses.....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I also admire Westy's attempt to give the impression of an argument via subversive commentary, yet offer no examples of his idea of "music," which allows him to look too cool for school no matter which way the wind blows. Troll-tastic!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
They pioneered a new style and sound that many rock bands now incorporate.

Eddy was one of the first rockers to use the guitar technique of tapping and was the first "big" musician to use high frequency feedback.
Bull****!

EVH is a great guitar player no doubt about it, but the rest are mediocre at best. And Roth? Jesus christ, that guy knows two styles of singing... yapping like a bad rapper, and whining like a bad Prince impersonator.

Why was Hot For Teacher so good? Because Roth didn't have many parts.

Not only that but they are corny as hell too. If corny whiny is a new style, they yup, they pioneered it.

But it's still light years better than dubstep.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Yeah, that's a good idea guys. Stick to your oppositional grammars and keep the bull**** running. After all, something HAS to be better than the other. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from giving something that you don't initially agree with any amount of inspection.

Because it's not like music isn't produced. The argument that one is created by a "musician" and the other by "a fat man behind a computer" is complete bollocks in this day and time. Both electronic and analog musicians edit their output the same way when they're sitting behind a computer - **** up a solo? let's just splice in another attempt. Drop a beat? copypasta that business. The amount of post-production in modern music makes the origins of those recorded sounds a moot point. Even Eddy used this when he created music.

And what about the live aspect? When an analog musician plays live, they adjust their style to fit the feel of the song. When an electronic musician plays live, they fit their songs to the feel of the crowd. It's meta-music, one step over the other. It has its place and function.

"Oh man, but electronic music doesn't take any talent." Are you just intimidated because it's the most democratic form of music in popular culture right now? Composing a song still requires an innate understanding of structure, progression, and theory - it's just the tools between the mediums that differs. Though I guess when we cross generational lines, it's totally fine to deny authenticity. After all, if you don't understand something then its origin must be that of a charlatan poseur.

I've been playing music for the better part of two decades. I don't make electronic music, but that doesn't keep me from appreciating it. Granted, the "dubstep" you guys are railing against is hardly rooted in the real dubstep movement. Think back to when ska in the 90's meant "anything with a horn line," dubstep used to be based on the same characteristics that made dub, dub. King Tubby would feel the complete opposite of alienated had he been given an opportunity to listen to core dubstep. Someone eventually used a syncopated wobble-ish sound and then, "BAM!," what was once honest experimentation suddenly became exploited as a new genre-defining mass-appeal marker. But of course, there wasn't ANYTHING like that with hair metal and their noodly-boring guitar solos and whiney vocal delivery. Those were completely unique and authentic, never exploited ad nauseum until they're stripped of all meaning.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
tl;dr - All the "music" you like sucks, and I like *way* better/older/more original/more talented stuff.

Repeat.

edit. Maybe should be -

10 All the "music" you like sucks, and I like *way* better/older/more original/more talented stuff.
20 Goto 10

Last edited: