Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Brought to you by the makers of the 2008 888s, the RC2 and 3 carts with just a coil spring over a washer for damping, ATA and the 7lb Z150?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more stuff along the lines of the LATEST damping technology used by Marzocchi, what fox has been using nearly all along, and what RS has come up with in the last few years, but these guys are biting off a HUGE chunk by assuming they'll be able to compete.

I give it 3yrs. I could be wrong, but this kind of idea almost never works. Sometimes it does though...

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Brought to you by the makers of the 2008 888s, the RC2 and 3 carts with just a coil spring over a washer for damping, ATA and the 7lb Z150?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more stuff along the lines of the LATEST damping technology used by Marzocchi, what fox has been using nearly all along, and what RS has come up with in the last few years, but these guys are biting off a HUGE chunk by assuming they'll be able to compete.

I give it 3yrs. I could be wrong, but this kind of idea almost never works. Sometimes it does though...
I can see what you're saying, but all they really have to do is remove a few of the less useful features/adjustments from current Marzocchi stuff, provide some actual technical documentation and they'll be on a winner - provided they can get the stuff manufactured. Seems like a big job for half a dozen guys, I'd agree, but good on them for giving it a crack. If they keep the product line small enough to begin with, and don't try to reinvent the wheel, they should do fine, because they have a pretty good starting point.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No, no, no, and no.

Those were come up with by Marzocchi Italy. The US guys just had to deal with it.

They will have some very legitimate offerings once they surface.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
If they can come up with forks packaged with excellent damping, robust and easy/cheap to service chassis, and low cost, they'd be killing it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, no, no, and no.

Those were come up with by Marzocchi Italy. The US guys just had to deal with it.

They will have some very legitimate offerings once they surface.
Oh, I know that for sure, but they put out that stuff, worked for the company. I guess this is them finally "taking a stand", but it's after marzocchi came out with some good stuff finally (cloned avalanche cartridges, etc) and after they tried to pass off all that crap on us. So at this point, it makes no sense to me and seems self-defeating. Now you've got the worst situation, strong products from all makers, no big "gap". There have always been "three" big makers, although there's nothing that says it HAS to be three, but we have seen that it is fairly consistent. Manitou was pushed out by Fox, due to crappy quality and designs, and this would honestly make a lot more sense if we were in 2009. Damping-wise we are in the best of times, with strong products from all big makers, no real "niche" to fill. Avalanche has the carts covered for older forks, but most people that just buy new ones will benefit from the stuff that's been developed, and there's just no real wiggle room. I'm sure this company will get some initial offerings out there, get some publicity, but it just seems like the worst idea at the worst time.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Oh, I know that for sure, but they put out that stuff, worked for the company. I guess this is them finally "taking a stand", but it's after marzocchi came out with some good stuff finally (cloned avalanche cartridges, etc) and after they tried to pass off all that crap on us. So at this point, it makes no sense to me and seems self-defeating. Now you've got the worst situation, strong products from all makers, no big "gap". There have always been "three" big makers, although there's nothing that says it HAS to be three, but we have seen that it is fairly consistent. Manitou was pushed out by Fox, due to crappy quality and designs, and this would honestly make a lot more sense if we were in 2009. Damping-wise we are in the best of times, with strong products from all big makers, no real "niche" to fill. Avalanche has the carts covered for older forks, but most people that just buy new ones will benefit from the stuff that's been developed, and there's just no real wiggle room. I'm sure this company will get some initial offerings out there, get some publicity, but it just seems like the worst idea at the worst time.
Just.....please shut up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good for them. Hope they produce a chassis more robust than RS with a weight less than avalanche and a damper that has functioning adjustments and doesn't need a rebuild daily.

I think there's a huge market for a highly specialized, user support based company that provides riders with direct feedback on how to get better performance from their product, rather than relying purely on marketing terms. Avalanche does it pretty well, but they still don't have their own chassis, so you have to rely on another chassis to put their products in...and a bad chassis (crooked castings from RS) means a bad fork regardless of help from Craig.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
IMO it's just Suntour bankrolling a 'name' to get legitimacy in the big boy world of suspension.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It might be suntour backing a name, but to be honest Suntours new forks are pretty good themselves. For the money anyways.

Theres always room for new suspension makers I think. X Fusion has shown that if you make good products (quite good actually), market them properly and take care of customers, then you can raise your company up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I can buy marzocchi products again without supporting bryson martin (Sr.) ??

That's awesome!!
ok story time?

just noticed that DVO already has water bottles, hats, and shirts ready to schwag. Wasn't there another company that put marketing first before product? What was their name? How did they end up?

Release a great product, build a loyal following, release schwag so that homers can show their support. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
just noticed that DVO already has water bottles, hats, and shirts ready to schwag. Wasn't there another company that put marketing first before product? What was their name? How did they end up?
Lol. I was thinking the same. They need to get DW on board to get the RM hype train rolling properly though. :D ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Lol. I was thinking the same. They need to get DW on board to get the RM hype train rolling properly though. :D ;)
Yes well, they actually already have products designed and prototypes in production. I think that must be a record speed for the bike industry. So..ya...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They have been working on product LONG before some silly t-shirts and water bottles. Remember, they do employ an engineer with an M.S. degree, and work history in manufacturing, design for manufacturing, test/development, failure analysis, composites and prototyping. The same guy who happened to be their engineer in the US for the last year or so when their product line was at their finest.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's new, different, and not a lot of people have them. See Carbon, 29ers, 650b, and avalanche carts.

A psychological edge is still an edge.
As much as I like my Avalanche cart, I think the allure is starting to wane. After a while it makes no sense because all the forks in circulation have decent damping. Its good to hop-up older stuff, but that market has to be small and getting smaller.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
has anybody found a way to patent a piston with some shims on it that flows oil back and forth?

I guess, you know what, nevermind. silly question. of course they have. Just like electra can patent geometry where "the seat angle is pretty slack"

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
son of a b!tch. is he goin to DVO too?

link?
Yeah I think he is going to DVO.

"I just wanted to say thank you to all of the great friends and awesome memories that I have had working at Marzocchi. After 15 years of working with the best suspension product that this industry had to offer I have put in my resignation so that I can move on to something else. Lets just say that this will not be the last time you guys will hear from me!

Ronnie Dilan"

Posted on Marzocchi's FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marzocchi-Suspension-Official-Page/269687973096