Quantcast

DVO Suspension - potential new player?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
godadamnit.. real world experience.. that doesnt count fer NUFFIN around here!!!!

i cant wait, i mean seriously, this fork just ticks all the boxes for me. i mean im almost planning to murder out my summum to get this green beast to work with my color scheme ;)

Im just worried i have to use squashed kermit essence to keep it shiny green !!
They said it will come in different colors as well. ;)

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
I wonder what the core is in the arch/fork guard thing.

Hey Ronnie, are you at liberty to discuss that at this point?
Most likely aluminum honeycomb core with the facesheets bonded to it. This allows for a greater area moment of inertia (think I-beam) without adding a bunch of weight and cost like extra plies would.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Most likely aluminum honeycomb core with the facesheets bonded to it. This allows for a greater area moment of inertia (think I-beam) without adding a bunch of weight and cost like extra plies would.
in a nice flat sheet sure. Try to curve honeycomb like that.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Nah I doubt the core is anything like that. I haven't heard anything but I bet it's just some fiberglass/plasticy/composite type of material.

But I did do a little g-chatting with one of their tech guys last night. I hate to dissappoint Kidwoo but I'm about to drop some facts.

1. The 40-50% (or whatever the media outlets are saying) increase in torsional stiffness from the arch is an UNDERESTIMATE. That is the value for the 100% plastic prototype. The full carbon (or carbon plus mystery core material) will be SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than that. They are still finalizing mounting techniques and the exact carbon design.

2. They (he?) fully intends to publish the test data on the torsion bridge for all you skeptics.

3. That's all I'm cleared to say for now.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Heard rumours that CG will be on DVO, true? false? does anyone care?

best of luck for the future to everyone at DVO, please get a new graphic designer though. The current graphics look cheap as hell

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
But kashima is a lame ass color that looks stupid on most bikes so it must be better. Please god tell me it works better because if DVO just proved that you can coat stanchions with that stuff and NOT look like that........fox has some splainin' to do.

I just noticed your signature. I think you and I got a lap together at whistler two seasons ago and you told me about how common it was for that mini schrader valve in a boxxer air spring piston to clog. I has your card. :)
I'm not an expert on surface coatings by any means, however my understanding of it is that Kashima basically impregnates the anodising with small cells of molybdenum disulfide, which can't be "worn off" until the anodising is actually worn right through, because the more the anodising wears, the more the molybdenum disulfide is actually exposed. A coating that is bonded to the outside of the material however can break away from the substrate (wearing/chipping off) because it's not integrated into the substrate material itself. This is why DLC, TiN etc never took off.

The air piston thing sounds vaguely familiar, but Vorsprung is new as of this year, how did you get my card?

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'm not an expert on surface coatings by any means, however my understanding of it is that Kashima basically impregnates the anodising with small cells of molybdenum disulfide, which can't be "worn off" until the anodising is actually worn right through, because the more the anodising wears, the more the molybdenum disulfide is actually exposed. A coating that is bonded to the outside of the material however can break away from the substrate (wearing/chipping off) because it's not integrated into the substrate material itself. This is why DLC, TiN etc never took off.

The air piston thing sounds vaguely familiar, but Vorsprung is new as of this year, how did you get my card?
Steve cubic boron nitride (dlc) is the norm now in the moto world, because the tubes are chrome moly steel. It never took off in the bicycle world because the aluminium tubes weren't stiff or hard enough and the dlc is very brittle, so it would de-adhere. The coating works great on steel.

On that note, why aren't bicycle fork inner tubes a precipitation hardened ss? Higher strength and stiffness to weight. Maybe the tubes would be getting too thin on a bicycle to get the weight down, not sure.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Steve cubic boron nitride (dlc) is the norm now in the moto world, because the tubes are chrome moly steel. It never took off in the bicycle world because the aluminium tubes weren't stiff or hard enough and the dlc is very brittle, so it would de-adhere. The coating works great on steel.

On that note, why aren't bicycle fork inner tubes a precipitation hardened ss? Higher strength and stiffness to weight. Maybe the tubes would be getting too thin on a bicycle to get the weight down, not sure.
Sorry, should have clarified - never took off with aluminium. DLC/TiN are both well proven on steel tubes - which aren't practical for use on bicycle forks because the walls need to be a certain thickness to have top cap threads and seal head recesses in them, not to mention withstanding crushing from the crowns.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You gave it to me I think. It's definitely not a vorsprung card......I can't remember the name. But it was some suspension tuning deal. Wasn't a whistler area code either though. Were you working out of your van or something? I might be wrong but I do remember the 'steve' part. If it was you.......thanks, you saved half a road trip for me. :) If not.......just ignore me like everyone else has learned to :D

Gemini: you misunderstand all my babbling in this thread

Me saying something looks hokey does not mean I'm not in the same boat with everyone else in that I'd love to see a new kick ass fork out there. And I've said it a few times in this thread. That would not 'disappoint' me. But that crown and where it's bolted so far away looks hokey to me. It's not the same thing as a 'regular' fork arch for the very reason that so much of the structural support is so detatched from where it's meant to be benificial. And I was already convinced long ago that a really stiff inverted fork could be made with a good bushing setup, and putting some bracing where it doesn't have that kind of leverage on the stuctural add on.......at the front axle. Remember that foes fork with the bigger thru bolt?

But if you live in a world where every single claim made by a bike company who tries something new is always abosulute truth to you and you've never seen something fail in a way that wasn't predicted in modeling..........welcome to the sport new guy. Please pet your unicorn for me and watch out for airplanes as you commute to work in the candy factory on your rainbow.

You've been riding long enough to know what I'm getting at though. Let's just wait and see how the thing works and just as importantly holds up at the attachment points. I'd be stoked to be wrong. Really.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Gemini: you misunderstand all my babbling in this thread
No, I didn't. I just like giving you sh1t. :P You're alright in my book.

But yeah, I agree. I'm an engineer who believes that 99% of the bike industry "engineers" are total hacks. If I didn't know and ride with the people designing this and wasn't as informed as I was, I'd be skeptical as fvck too. But I am REALLY excited about this fork. And I am usually not very excited about any bike product, especially these days. I just need to find out who's dick I'll have to suck to get on one of the prototypes.

And yeah, I had one of those foes forks. Those things were just an awesome sight to behold. So beefy.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I have read on Bikerumor that the Emerald will retail arround $1600 USD up to $1800 USD & will be available in May 2013.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i highly doubt the 1st batch will be 10,000 forks , so i could see them doin some limited batches by then look what they have done since they opened
Yeah, maybe. I think there first goal is OEM market anyways, Aftermarket later. I think they're looking to ramp up production quickly after they finish the prototypes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The stuff that has come out in the last week or so looks promising. I don't know why they couldn't have explained those features before instead of being crazy vague, but whatever. It's still going to be hard to break through with the current 888 and fact that you can swap out an avy cart for a lot less than a new fork, but these things look the part, and sometimes that's all it takes to sell.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't know why they couldn't have explained those features before instead of being crazy vague, but whatever.
If I were in charge I would do that deliberately just to make the RideMonkey goobers **** their little pink panties.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
But kashima is a lame ass color that looks stupid on most bikes so it must be better. Please god tell me it works better because if DVO just proved that you can coat stanchions with that stuff and NOT look like that........fox has some splainin' to do.
Kowa had Kashima before it was cool, theirs was a lovely poo brown colour.

100% more stiffness from that brace seems pretty cool, are they comparing that against a Maverick or their own fork with no brace?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
just looked at their website, not a fan of the looks....
The looks of the web site? As in the forks won't suit your pygamas? Or as in there appears to be a technical flaw to you? If the later, explain, if either of the earlier two, who gives a toss, shhhh.
Easily adjustable shims, high and low speed external adjustments, descriptive shim stack explanations for changes. All sounds good to me. Just hope they're at least as torsionally stiff as Shivvers.
Sorry to be negative, but Ridemonkey used to be so informative, now it's just full of crap. Pink Bike nearly seems to be more to the point, facts and informative than here.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
The looks of the web site? As in the forks won't suit your pygamas? Or as in there appears to be a technical flaw to you? If the later, explain, if either of the earlier two, who gives a toss, shhhh.
Easily adjustable shims, high and low speed external adjustments, descriptive shim stack explanations for changes. All sounds good to me. Just hope they're at least as torsionally stiff as Shivvers.
Sorry to be negative, but Ridemonkey used to be so informative, now it's just full of crap. Pink Bike nearly seems to be more to the point, facts and informative than here.
Really? I'll bet that they spend a great deal of time working on the aesthetics of the design, if it wasn't important why would they?

There's no need to berate someone because they have an opinion that differes from yours.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
We should schedule a beer shotgun and headbutt once this thing hits the market.
Agreed.

We can follow it up by taking your Boxxer and a DVO fork, and swinging them at one another as hard as possible until one breaks and see which one makes it through.

Come to think of it, that should be a great PinkBike article.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Really? I'll bet that they spend a great deal of time working on the aesthetics of the design, if it wasn't important why would they? Obviously, they want to sell them. That's part of my point. A faster rider looks best. A stylish rider looks best, both are aided by performance, not looks. Both impress longer than "wow your forks look cool", manufacturers waste effort making **** look pretty. Like this conversation, buying based on aesthetics is futile.

There's no need to berate someone because they have an opinion that differes from yours.
Didn't mean to berate anyone. But he was hacking on a brand, based on what I perceive to be a silly reason, so I voiced my opinion, and gave it back to him.
It is a forum. I'm just trying to keep it informative. I have a girlfriend I can talk nonsensical sh!t to.

Last edited: