Quantcast

DVO Topaz?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Since the X2 is on backorder everywhere and my CCDBACS has not died on me yet, I am wasting time on internetz looking at other possible options, just out of curiosity and boredom. It looks like there are some interesting deals on the DVO Topaz out there but not much practical experience and horror stories from non-dentists, yet. Anyone played with one of these green gems?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I too am taking a hard look at the topaz. I really like the idea of a nearly stictionless air shock. I. Just picked up a diamond for my unrideable Nomad, and so far I'm very impressed.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
If the Topaz is anything like the DVO coil shock; it will be dependable, adjustable and serviceable.

"Nearly stictionless"? Not sure about that one.

I have the DVO coil which has a bladder as well, and the Fox DHX2 still kills it in the stiction department.
Adding some air seals to the equation probably won't help.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Since the X2 is on backorder everywhere and my CCDBACS has not died on me yet, I am wasting time on internetz looking at other possible options, just out of curiosity and boredom. It looks like there are some interesting deals on the DVO Topaz out there but not much practical experience and horror stories from non-dentists, yet. Anyone played with one of these green gems?
Am I wrong in thinking that the Topaz is more in line with a RS Monarch Plus/Fox Float X than a RS Vivid/Fox Float X2/DB Air? It just seems more like a piggyback trail shock than a DH level shock unless I'm mistaken.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Am I wrong in thinking that the Topaz is more in line with a RS Monarch Plus/Fox Float X than a RS Vivid/Fox Float X2/DB Air? It just seems more like a piggyback trail shock than a DH level shock unless I'm mistaken.
The DBACS is on my aggro trail bike (I have DB coil on my DH rig) so I can live with a little lighter duty shock.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have the DVO coil which has a bladder as well, and the Fox DHX2 still kills it in the stiction department. Adding some air seals to the equation probably won't help.
This is my experience too. I'd probably wait for the Float X2 if it were me, especially if there's no rush.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Careful with that Diamond, the wiper seals suck and let a ton of dirt in.
Thanks for the heads up. I generally keep my Nomad clean and don't ride it as much as my other bikes. I will be extra vigilent on keeping the wipers clean.
I'm blown away by the smoothness of this fork. It blows the pike and 36 out the water in my experience so far.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The DBACS is on my aggro trail bike (I have DB coil on my DH rig) so I can live with a little lighter duty shock.
I think the limits of the 3 POSition compression switch will disappoint coming from a DB.
Being able to make your bike ride exactly as you want is priceless, wait for the X2.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Yo be clear I'm considering the topaz for my Devinci hendrix (9er/plus bike) . It currently has a monarch r which I removed some compression shims from (better but still needs less lsc), so anything would be a major improvement.
My Nomad has a dB coil cs, and I wouldn't consider a topaz for it. The stupid leverage curve is tough enough to tune for even with high / low speed everything.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The Topaz is actually pretty nice. :busted: *Much* less stiction than the DBACS, honestly I don't sense any stiction at all. Even minor shift of weight on bike makes the shock move, I blame the bladder / no stinking IFP. I've only done 3 rides on the bike so far but the shock feels pretty good. I have yet to do drops/jumps bigger than 2ft though.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I got a topaz and to be honest I'm not happy at all with the performance. The low speed does not blow off into the high speed circuit easily enough and overall the bike just feels harsh because of it. I spoke with Ronnie and Bryson last week. The shock will be getting a de-tune so hopefully that will correct the issues I'm having. I definitely have to hand it to those guys for being so approachable about my issues. Hopefully we'll be able to get it to work with my bike properly.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
It works for my frame with a higher LR and my average body. Would not a lighter fluid solve your over-damped issues?Or are they suggesting shim stack mods?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
It works for my frame with a higher LR and my average body. Would not a lighter fluid solve your over-damped issues?Or are they suggesting shim stack mods?
I spoke with Ronnie this evening and he recommended removing specific shims or replacement with thinner ones. The shock uses 2.5wt so thinner oil isn't really going to happen. I need to get some oil as they do not reccomend rockshox fluid but I'll most certainly be doing the mod myself.
The shock I currently run is a base model m/m tune Monarch r, which at this point barely has any compression shims left in it.... Feels great but it's only a 2.0 stroke and I'm going up to a 2.25 topaz.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I spoke with Ronnie this evening and he recommended removing specific shims or replacement with thinner ones. The shock uses 2.5wt so thinner oil isn't really going to happen. I need to get some oil as they do not reccomend rockshox fluid but I'll most certainly be doing the mod myself.
The shock I currently run is a base model m/m tune Monarch r, which at this point barely has any compression shims left in it.... Feels great but it's only a 2.0 stroke and I'm going up to a 2.25 topaz.
I'd nothing else this speaks highly to their CS and their commitment and understanding of their user base.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I got a topaz and to be honest I'm not happy at all with the performance. The low speed does not blow off into the high speed circuit easily enough and overall the bike just feels harsh because of it. I spoke with Ronnie and Bryson last week. The shock will be getting a de-tune so hopefully that will correct the issues I'm having. I definitely have to hand it to those guys for being so approachable about my issues. Hopefully we'll be able to get it to work with my bike properly.
I think that's definitely one of the harder things to get right in suspension valving - having enough support without getting harsh. Only a few manufacturers (and products) get this right. DVO accepting that you're not happy and working with you to fix the problem until you're 100% happy is probably the sign of a good company - let us know how it goes.

I had this exact problem with BOS (rear shock) and the company's response was "our pro riders haven't complained so you shouldn't, everything is perfect as it is, deal with it". They quietly changed the tune on that shock years later since it was an actual problem, and it still wasn't particularly great. I am reluctant to ever purchase or recommend BOS again after that experience.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How much support do You get in the mid-travel compared to the other shocks (Monarch/CCDBAir etc.)?
Perhaps this helps: https://www.facebook.com/dvosuspension/photos/a.419635728087699.106040.418447238206548/1184200548297876/?type=3&theater

Since almost no detectable stiction and good sized negative spring, you don't have to "under-pressure" for good mobility around sag point, hence good support. I feel it has more mid-stroke support on the Balance than a coil AVY had on my old Ibis HD.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Im actually surprised that anyone likes the topaz in stock trim. There are literally 3 shims on the main compression piston and they are stiff ones. I replaced them with moar shimz and moar thinner ones. It made a noticeable improvement in ride quality on my test ride today.

I was looking for a little less lsc as stock but a much easier and smoother blow off, and more usable 3 pos switch range. I need to ride it more but so far im pretty happy with it. I would maybe add one more compression shim to the secondary piston but its too early to make that call for sure.

Here is my configuration. (all shims are 10th vs 15th thickness which was stock)
Main piston compression side : (8mm id)
2x 22mm
One 10mm spacer shim
1x 20mm
One 10mm spacer shim
18mm
16mm
14mm
2x 10mm spacer shims before the end plate

Rebound side main piston (8mm id shims)
1x 10mm spacer shim against the piston face
2x 18mm (stock configuration)
I basically just removed the preload against the dished piston face.

Secondary piston compression side (in resi, all shims 6mm id)
2 8mm spacer shims (dished piston face)
3x same diameter as stock (16mm i think)

The rebound side of the secondary piston was left unchanged as it is only one shim and only really acts as a one way check valve.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I had this exact problem with BOS (rear shock) and the company's response was "our pro riders haven't complained so you shouldn't, everything is perfect as it is, deal with it". They quietly changed the tune on that shock years later since it was an actual problem, and it still wasn't particularly great. I am reluctant to ever purchase or recommend BOS again after that experience.
Interesting you mention that!
You recommended me a small shaft RC4 in another thread earlier this summer and I went for it. The problem was that the shock was actually sold out where I had found it so that I had to cancel that order... what I got instead is a Bos Stoy! :D it was a bargain and I fell for it... nevertheless I "invested" some of the money I "saved" to send it to a tuner who used to work as a developer at Bos. The guy is quite open about Bos suspensions not being the most comfortable out there and I hope that his tune is more comfortable than what Bos themselves would have done. Sadly I was not able to ride that bike as much as I wanted yet lately. I had just a few rides with it and I am still playing with the nobs... But so far it feels better than the CCDB air its replacing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Im actually surprised that anyone likes the topaz in stock trim. There are literally 3 shims on the main compression piston and they are stiff ones. I replaced them with moar shimz and moar thinner ones. It made a noticeable improvement in ride quality on my test ride today.

I was looking for a little less lsc as stock but a much easier and smoother blow off, and more usable 3 pos switch range. I need to ride it more but so far im pretty happy with it. I would maybe add one more compression shim to the secondary piston but its too early to make that call for sure.

Here is my configuration. (all shims are 10th vs 15th thickness which was stock)
Main piston compression side : (8mm id)
2x 22mm
One 10mm spacer shim
1x 20mm
One 10mm spacer shim
18mm
16mm
14mm
2x 10mm spacer shims before the end plate

Rebound side main piston (8mm id shims)
1x 10mm spacer shim against the piston face
2x 18mm (stock configuration)
I basically just removed the preload against the dished piston face.

Secondary piston compression side (in resi, all shims 6mm id)
2 8mm spacer shims (dished piston face)
3x same diameter as stock (16mm i think)

The rebound side of the secondary piston was left unchanged as it is only one shim and only really acts as a one way check valve.
Changing the thickness of all shims in a 3 stage stack from .15 to .10 is a REALLY big change, FYI. Especially changing crossover gap sizes by 1/3.

If you wanted less LSC, all you had to do was change the face shim to a .10, or change the first crossover to a .20.

Does that piston have a lot of dishing to the comp side? I can't imagine that stack gives ANY LSC with a flat piston. RockShox uses ring shims in their comp stacks on the main piston comp to get a substantial amount of LSC. It actually can work very well if tuned and balanced correctly.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Well I am far from an expert but what i did seems to have worked for me. It wasn't just the lsc, the shock felt like it was spiking on medium hits and I wanted a smoother transition. The downside? I don't really see one, the mode switch still adds compression, but now much less (which is a good thing).

The main piston does not have any dishing on the compression side. The secondary does (the secondary is the piston affected by the mode switch)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Any updates from anyone on the Topaz regarding performance? My CCDB has already had to go back for warranty after 3 rides, Fox X2 is backordered and expensive, so I'm in the market for a new shock and very intrigued...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I like mine a lot. Disclaimer - I am a talentless hack.
Hack tested and approved? That actually says a lot.

I ordered one. Super impressed by DVO's customer service, and I can't find anything bad about them on the interwebz. Plus, the price was excellent. If all else fails, I'll probably cave and get an X2, but I like trying alternatives to Fox as I am pretty annoyed by their stance on making products user serviceable without proprietary tools, etc.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
A few more rides with the Topaz done and it is the tittays. I am having way too much fun on the bike now.
Mild necro on this thread.

I am looking at the t3 air, since the service for it does not involve any messing around with nitrogen cartridges.

I considered the dpx2, but ~550 for the shock, and 145 for a yearly service is a bit costly.

STI, what version do you have? Are you still riding it?

And rollertoaster, what are you riding on now? Did you keep the topaz?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
STI, what version do you have? Are you still riding it?
I still have it, it is my "plan B" shock when my primary shock (DHX2) is serviced. I have the 1st gen T3 7.875"x2.25 size. Works well, very little stiction, but it was always feeling like leaking air from the air can a little. I like coil shocks better though.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I still have it, it is my "plan B" shock when my primary shock (DHX2) is serviced. I have the 1st gen T3 7.875"x2.25 size. Works well, very little stiction, but it was always feeling like leaking air from the air can a little. I like coil shocks better though.
What bike are you on?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What did you think of the Toir?
Always thought they looked like a blast. ...but heard they were a bit noodley under bigger riders.
A little too porky, pedaling not so great, and more of a plow-through-crap than a nimble bike. I think you need serious hills to enjoy that bike or the Balance.