Quantcast

Dylan’s pursuit of excellence

Oct 20, 2009
<p>As mechanic for 36ONE-SONGO-SPECIALIZED at the Cape Epic, Dylan van der Merwe is in a continuous pursuit of excellence.</p><p>
</p><p>
When his alarm goes off at 05:15 each morning during this eight day mountain bike stage race Dylan immediately goes to the Specialized Epic 29’er dual suspension bikes to double check everything.</p><p>
</p><p>
“The double checking is not about not having confidence in my work, but the Epic demands it,” said Dylan.</p><p>
</p><p>
As soon as the stage is finished Dylan takes the bikes to the bike wash and then he gets feedback from the riders Christoph Sauser and Burry Stander.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I take the wheels and the chain off everyday. I make sure that the frame is very clean so that I can have a close look at it. I look out for cracks or any sign of trouble. Each bolt is also checked everyday. “Every second day I put on a new set of tyres and a new chain. Once again changing the tyres is not about not having confidence in the product…it is what the Epic demands. I want to prevent problems and not fix them.”</p><p>
</p><p>
It is no secret why Dylan is so meticulous about what he does.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Checking everything over and over might not be necessary, but it is the recipe that has been working. The biggest challenge is to cover all the basics and that is why I double check everything. Even when I don’t think I need to, I do it.</p><p>
</p><p>
“The riders give it their all and that’s what is expected from me as well. I’m always in the pursuit of excellence.”</p>

More...