Quantcast
  1. The Ridemonkey Secret Santa has begun

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by Tuesday, November 28th.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.
    Dismiss Notice

E-bike crackdown in NYC

Discussion in 'General News' started by PBHAS, Oct 23, 2017.

1. PBHAS

PBHAS Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 5

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KenW449

KenW449 something stupid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 46
    Why cant they do that with drug and illegal weapons. E-bike riders are the REAL dangerous criminals... Fvcking priorities. I wonder how long before Commiefornia follows?

3. StiHacka

StiHacka Compensating for something

Rep/Likes:
    260 / 2,186
    i͓̽t͓̽ i͓̽s͓̽ fu͓̽l͓̽l͓̽ o͓̽f s͓̽t͓̽a͓̽r͓̽s͓̽
    Not allowed until they turn them into revenue.

4. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    65 / 300
    If you can't ride a moped on the streets or sidewalks then why should you be allowed to ride an e-bike?

5. KenW449

KenW449 something stupid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 46
    Because Mopeds can be modified to go faster, be more powerful. They are usually bigger and heavier. Under 50cc, You usually don't need a license to operate, though I'm assessing its different in NYC. They typically go about 30mph but larger can go 55mph.
    E-bikes are generally the same size as a normal bicycle and you can pedal them faster than the motor will carry you, which is about 20mph.
    Electric bikes do not need a special registration, license, or insurance to operate. Why shouldn't you be able to ride them?

6. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    65 / 300
    It's a motorized bicycle. No mater how you try to get around it, we're still talking about bicycles with electric motors on them.

You can ride them, just not on the street, which is for licensed motorized vehicles and unlicensed human powered vehicles, or on the sidewalk, which is for pedestrians, or on the pedestrian/bike paths, which are for human powered vehicles and human powered humans.

PS. Do you really think it's impossible to modify an e-bike to go faster?

7. rideit

rideit Bob the Builder

Rep/Likes:
    38 / 520
    From what I read pedalecs will still be allowed, just not throttle activated bikes over 250 watts.

8. velocipedist

velocipedist Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 81
    FTFY

9. Jm_

Jm_ Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    112 / 639
  10. KenW449

KenW449 something stupid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 46
    I could see that.

Basically. The Government just wants another way to take our money.

At what point did i say that?

https://optibike.com/electric-bikes-vs-mopeds/
    So long as i follows the limitations, i don't see a problem. If its modified to go faster, i can see it being illegal and fining them but not confiscating them. At that point, they may as well just start fining people with modified cars and confiscating them because there MAY be a chance they have an illegal mod.

Gas bike conversions i can see being illegal. They are loud and obnoxious. If someone is being stupid, fine them.
    But to fine someone and/or confiscate their bike just because its electric is over the line.

11. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    65 / 300
    One of the reasons you gave as to why ebikes were ok but not mopeds was

The logical conclusion of that statement is that ebikes are ok because they can not be modified to be faster and more powerful. If that's not what you intended to say then explain what you meant.

It's not a bicycle it's a motorized vehicle. It has an engine. Why should the regulations for a motorized vehicle be the same as for bicycles?

Want to classify them as scooters and have licenses and all that mess? Fine. Then they would be allowed on the road and not on bike/pedestrian paths. I'm ok with that. Just stop pretending these are another type of bicycle. They are not.

12. KenW449

KenW449 something stupid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 46
    Incorrect. The federal Consumer Product Safety Act defines a "low speed electric bicycle" as a two or three wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals, a top speed when powered solely by the motor under 20 mph (32 km/h) and an electric motor that produces less than 750 W (1.01 hp). E-bikes exceeding these power and speed limits are regulated by the federal DOT and NHTSA as motor vehicles, and must meet additional safety requirements.

I understand each state has the authority to call it whatever they want and create their own laws, some requires licenses while others don't. Most states laws either do not define it or call it bicycle. But New York is the only state that outlaws them and they are just money hungry. I completely understand outlawing throttle assisted E-bikes as they would be more of an electric scooter you can pedal more than it would be a bike. But even then, most states don't require a license for motor vehicles under 49cc. But E-bikes that are pedal only are electric assisted.

13. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    65 / 300
    Semantics. It's a bike with a motor on it. I don't think they belong on bike trails (paved or dirt) any more than a moped. I think as we see more of these motorized bikes the laws surrounding them will likely change. More and more places will impose additional restrictions.

14. KenW449

KenW449 something stupid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 46
    More than likely. But i think it will be moar because of asshatery of the cyclist than the bike itself. Probably due to the same mantality of an asshat crotch rochet rider. "Because im faster, i deserve to speed in between the rest of traffic because i dont wanna wait, hmff!)
    Im going to bed, goodnight!:lazy2:

15. rockofullr

rockofullr confused

Rep/Likes:
    65 / 300

Get em Moab!

• Like Like x 1