Quantcast

E-bike research University of Utah

Casey Fenger

Chimp
Feb 13, 2018
Hello everyone!

My name is Casey Fenger and I am a medical student at the University of Utah. I am working on a survey study that involves E-bikes. I am looking into if they are an effective tool for individuals with impairments. I am hoping that we will be able to use the data collected to further research the efficacy of E-bike use in physical rehabilitation settings.

If you own any form of an electrically assisted bicycle and you would like to participate, here is the information:

Why Do You Own an Ebike?

Researchers at the University of Utah are interested in understanding the motivation behind Ebike use.

We are especially interested in how Ebikes can help persons with health problems to enjoy cycling.

The survey will take no longer than 10 minutes to complete and you must be 18 years of age or older.

To complete the survey, click on the link below. Thank you!

Survey Link:https://redcap01.brisc.utah.edu/ccts.../?s=7LDR4YAHXX

Attachments

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I hate to burst your bubble man, but you are not likely to get much support here or on many other bike sites for that matter. Primarily because even our young guys are crumodgeny assholes, but also because of how the sport itself is. It's about pedaling to the top. There is a guy here, @gonefirefightin who literally blew up and is missing appendages who still pedals up.

Also, almost every trail access point does not allow access to ebikes because they are effectively motorcycles, albeit low powered ones. Mountain bikers have struggled for decades to get access to some trails and ebikes being associated with traditional mountain bikes takes any forward progress and pushes that years backwards because they have motors. Since there is no easy way to tell them apart, there is no way to break that group apart. I understand the want for access for those unable to otherwise, but until the power levels being put down by ebikes are effectively identical to normal, average riders and they are limited to those who truly need them, you will get little support from the general cycling community.

And I say this as somebody with enough old injuries that I doubt I will be able to ride 20 years from now, even at 37 it hurts to ride now.