E-ntense

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I saw that earlier. And these are people that know how to ride bikes, are brought up riding 50 lb clunkers in crazy traffic. And in shape.
Usually these are people that are neither fit or used to riding bikes (anymore). One of the nice effects of the ebike boom over here is that it gets people that normally wouldn't ride a bike back into the saddle. And while I'm glad evertime some geriatric passes me on a fireroad climb that he would never even have gotten to if not for the ebike, these people are often not as assured on a bike as they should be and many don't know how to handle the increased torque, particularly when taking off.

We have this same pheomenon in Germany with seniors on ebikes, but instead of just bitching you have organizations like the equivalent of AAA (!) and the police offering free training.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yesterday I saw dude in Boston zipping through traffic on an old electrified Foes DH bike. That was cool, I would bang if I wasn't scared shitless by the terrible traffic and drivers.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
FYI There are only 2 UK downhill tracks built on actual mountains...

We do pretty good at DH for a nation of damp woods sessioners, eh?
The list of Scottish Word Cup winners isn't exactly extensive, so no, you do not.

"Other nations in the UK do pretty good at DH..." would be a better place to start.

You don't see the Belgians claiming to be great at DH just because France happens to be and they share a land border.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
You're correct Sandro, Great Britain is the name of an island that contains the three countries of England, Scotland and Wales.
Isn't that a bit cheap when you just edited your post that initially only contained the first line? And Gary's point stands anyways, since the likes of Danny Hart and Gee don't compete for England but Great Britain.

Which isn't even really the issue here anyway, as i don't think he was trying to bask in the glory of the achievements of other subjects of the Queen but merely pointing out that the UK hardly has any mountains to speak of and yet still consistently produces athletes that do exceptionally well in downhill.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Usually these are people that are neither fit or used to riding bikes (anymore).
The article quoted is about dutch cyclists. It's not that they are out of shape or not used to riding a bike. It's about the extra power, speed and weight. That's what they're not used to.

If you've ever ridden in Amsterdam city bike lane traffic, you have to bring your A game. Trolley's buses, cars, stoned pedestrians and tons of bikes hauling ass.

Now, throw in speed you're not used to, acceleration you're not used to weight and poor handling you're not used to and lack of braking you're not used to.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The article quoted is about dutch cyclists. It's not that they are out of shape or not used to riding a bike. It's about the extra power, speed and weight. That's what they're not used to.

If you've ever ridden in Amsterdam city bike lane traffic, you have to bring your A game. Trolley's buses, cars, stoned pedestrians and tons of bikes hauling ass.

Now, throw in speed you're not used to, acceleration you're not used to weight and poor handling you're not used to and lack of braking you're not used to.
I know it's about Dutch cyclists, but elderly Dutch cyclists in particular which aren't really different to other European geriatrics. And yes, it is the inexperience with increased weight, speed and different handling that leads to these accidents, often coupled with the phenomenon of people returning to riding bikes after a hiatus that i described above which basically just translates to even more inexperience and less physical fortitude. Just because a person is Dutch doesn't mean they have superhuman bike handling skills and strength irrespective of their age. I really don't see any contradiction here with anything i said.

“We should not underestimate how many accidents happen among the elderly when getting on and off an e-bike. Such a bicycle is heavier than a regular one. Sometimes the problem starts because some older people do not take into account that their own physical possibilities are reduced.”

I ride bikes in the Netherlands often and being a pedestrian and accidentally stepping into a bike path in a Dutch city is truly scary, since people are hauling ass and operate under the assumption that you have forfeited your right to live by messing with their commute.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Great Britain is the name of a Nation of islands that contains the three countries of England, Scotland and Wales.
It could also be argued Jersey, Guernsey, Cornwall, the Isle of Man and a few smaller British islands off the North and South coasts of the UK are independent nations within the United Kingdom too.

Confusing? Yeah.. Massively. My point still stands.

When was it the US/Canada last had a male World Downhill Champion again?
not that it matters anyway.

Belgium has NICO VINK... who's infintiely cooler than any tight pant wearing world cup rider

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
It could also be argued Jersey, Guernsey, Cornwall, the Isle of Man and a few smaller British islands off the North and South coasts of the UK are independent nations within the United Kingdom too.

Confusing? Yeah.. Massively. My point still stands.

When was it the US/Canada last had a male World Downhill Champion again?
not that it matters anyway.

Belgium has NICO VINK... who's infintiely cooler than any tight pant wearing world cup rider
And Martin Maes.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I know it's about Dutch cyclists, but elderly Dutch cyclists in particular which aren't really different to other European geriatrics. And yes, it is the inexperience with increased weight, speed and different handling that leads to these accidents, often coupled with the phenomenon of people returning to riding bikes after a hiatus that i described above which basically just translates to even more inexperience and less physical fortitude. Just because a person is Dutch doesn't mean they have superhuman bike handling skills and strength irrespective of their age. I really don't see any contradiction here with anything i said.

“We should not underestimate how many accidents happen among the elderly when getting on and off an e-bike. Such a bicycle is heavier than a regular one. Sometimes the problem starts because some older people do not take into account that their own physical possibilities are reduced.”

I ride bikes in the Netherlands often and being a pedestrian and accidentally stepping into a bike path in a Dutch city is truly scary, since people are hauling ass and operate under the assumption that you have forfeited your right to live by messing with their commute.
The number of e-bike victims among men went from 20 in 2016 to 38 in 2017. Of those men aged over 65, the number of e-bike deaths doubled, from 15 in 2016 to 31 in 2017.

They mention old men death went up twice as much, while young men death went up.....almost twice as much. (from 5 to 9)

But seriously, ANY age Dutch cyclist can outride 80% of Americans. put Americans in the same context, carnage ensues.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Hardly surprising when ebikes make up an increaslingly large percentage of the bikes being ridden. In most European countries, ebike sales account for 20-25% of all new bicycles sold per year while the Netherlands are closer to 30%. What is quite shocking is that 48% of KTM mountainbikes sold last year were ebikes.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Isn't that a bit cheap when you just edited your post that initially only contained the first line? And Gary's point stands anyways, since the likes of Danny Hart and Gee don't compete for England but Great Britain.

Which isn't even really the issue here anyway, as i don't think he was trying to bask in the glory of the achievements of other subjects of the Queen but merely pointing out that the UK hardly has any mountains to speak of and yet still consistently produces athletes that do exceptionally well in downhill.
Pro-tip since you're clearly struggling with this one; edited posts tend to have a little tag under them that tells you when they were edited. If they were edited. Scotland has both of the lift accessed mountains in the UK and has produced...

Just think it's hilarious that the last true scotsman is clearly trying to bask in the reflected glow of the English. Usually it's the English claiming Scots as their own.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pro-tip since you're clearly struggling with this one; edited posts tend to have a little tag under them that tells you when they were edited. If they were edited.
Unless you edit them quickly.

We call that the ninja edit.

I can add quite a few lines here.

Still going. [...]

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just think it's hilarious that the last true scotsman is clearly trying to bask in the reflected glow of the English. Usually it's the English claiming Scots as their own.
Yeah we're all absolutely splitting our sides here. :brow:

No one is trying to bask in anything you tool. If you ride DH and get to the top teir in the UK you ride worlds for team GB. Scottish cycling (our national cycling federation) is governed by British cycling.
The UK is a small island. Pretty much every regular DH racer on the National circuit travels between Scotland, england and Wales and shares uplift with each other week in week out. there's no actual England Vs Scotland rivalry BS there at all.

I'm probably one of the least patriotic people you'll ever find. I'm Scottish born with a Scottish Mother, Irish Great grand parents and an English Father, one of my daughters is English with an English mother. another is French with a French mother. another is Scottish with... surely you get the picture? That doesn't mean I have no grasp on my country of birth's history, herritage, geography or political system. Infact. Quite the opposite. It also doesn't mean I agree with or support any of those things.

I don't even care who wins any DH race. I just want to see the raddest riding in the world. Take someone Brannigan for instance. the guy is probably never going to win anything but OMG that year he was riding at 110% and crashing his brains out each round and still getting down alive? That's the sort of thing that I love about this "sport"

Do us a favour and get the fuck over yourself, eh?!

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I've lived in both England and Scotland and am well aware of all these exciting new facts you're bringing to the table there Gary. Just busting chops, which, judging by your emotional response, have quite clearly been busted wide open.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In that case your original response makes you sound even more of a tool.

Well done

:stosh:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Pro-tip since you're clearly struggling with this one; edited posts tend to have a little tag under them that tells you when they were edited. If they were edited.
Jesus, that is truly pathetic. As others have pointed out, an edit doesn't show up if you edit within 5 minutes, which is precisely what you did.
I mean this is the internet, you could at least pretend to be a man on here.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
So much more stoked about this sort of thing than e-bikes!! Is that the company an RM member was working for?

Lazy fat tire riding millionaires and goobers we give free bikes too love our bikes!!

Edit: Ninja Edit
Wasn't that Alta Motors? I think Ohio is one of the main guys there.