Quantcast

e*thirteen DH Cranks are in

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I seem to be the only guy (on the internet at least) who's had no problems running holzfeller OCT cranks
I'm running Holzfeller OCT's (current model year I believe) without an issue so far. Granted, they haven't seen as much use as yours, it sounds, but they haven't given me any issues in their first season of use.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I'm running Holzfeller OCT's (current model year I believe) without an issue so far. Granted, they haven't seen as much use as yours, it sounds, but they haven't given me any issues in their first season of use.
I bent the sh!t out of my OCT's in 1 day of riding. Granted i'm not a light guy and i def beat the piss out of my bike parts.

BTW I'm from denver also, and i bet we ride some of the same trails in the hills

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
weren't we just talking about these last night? I want and they are on my qbp itemwatch, literally as soon as I get and email they are ordered.

Dear e-13 when will purple 36 tooth rings be back available? Have any there, I'll give you a call.
I believe we have some in Leominster, but don't hold me to it. 36T is by far our most popular size ring...Reds (in all sizes) has been going quick as well.

Shoot me an email and I'll double check this Monday.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I know some big name pros are riding the Atlas FR's, but I saw one of Shek's teammates bend one the first day at Massanutten last year. Maybe just a bad first run?
I twisted up a set of GL's pretty good last year before i got my Atlas FR's, I bent those as well! Im on my second set of Atlas FR's on my XC bike as well. Im running saints on my DH bike and seem to be holding up well... but then again I havent had much time on the DH bike this year due to injuries.

plan on getting the e.13's for my next race bike.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
after hearing e.13 talk about the reasons for the new interface and the advantages I can't see a down side to these...been a long time saint user that is need of a new set for next season. I will definitely give these a shot...Lighter with bigger bearings is a plus.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
do these come in that fancy 2011 demo 8 press in bb size thinger?
Currently there are no manufacturers (that I know of) that make BB30 DH cranks. The new Demo comes with threaded press in adapters to use all current crank offerings. Specialized is just anticipating BB30 becoming a standard so they opted to design the frames in preparation.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Currently there are no manufacturers (that I know of) that make BB30 DH cranks. The new Demo comes with threaded press in adapters to use all current crank offerings. Specialized is just anticipating BB30 becoming a standard so they opted to design the frames in preparation.
word, thats stupid? Design a product size that isnt currently even made? Which by the time it is made (if it is) there will be a new demo 8 that we "have to buy" because its better at XYZ /end rant

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
after hearing e.13 talk about the reasons for the new interface and the advantages I can't see a down side to these...been a long time saint user that is need of a new set for next season. I will definitely give these a shot...Lighter with bigger bearings is a plus.
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here...

The new interface is neato, but it seems that set-up is key. It's possible that a user/installer could improperly space the spindle on these, causing pre-mature bearing wear...?

Signed: a fan of Shimano's interface who wonders why it isn't more widely used, but would still like to try a set of these if they were given to him. :rolleyes:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm a bit confused. In my experience it is brinelling that is the surface interface failure that causes crank and spindle problems not fretting :confused:

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here...

The new interface is neato, but it seems that set-up is key. It's possible that a user/installer could improperly space the spindle on these, causing pre-mature bearing wear...?
For 95% of cases, if you get the BB spacing setup correct for your BB cups, all you need is the wavy washer (to keep preload).

I've always been a fan of Shimano cranks...Saints/XTs at the races are such a breeze to install guides on.

The (modified) 32711 P3 interface lets us run a single M8 bolt (similar to Truvativ GXP) only without it being a press fit. Yes, it does require some exact tolerances, the advantages from 100% surface contact versus a spline interface is worth the extra time in manufacturing. You can also pull your cranks off as much as you desire...it is quick and painless and doesn't damage the interface.

The White Paper on the crank design is here...the DH cranks use a pressed on driveside arm...non-removable. Other than that, the theory is the same.

Cheers! -pw

Jun 19, 2007
san luis obispo, ca
I'm a bit confused. In my experience it is brinelling that is the surface interface failure that causes crank and spindle problems not fretting :confused:
brinelling is where you have exceeded the stress limit of the material in one contact point. fretting is what happens at the material grain level, at the boundary between stressed and unstressed areas (like the peaks and valleys of a spline interface.) the fluctuation of stress (with the loading/unloading of the cransket) may not reach the stress limit, but can still cause grain separation over time.
so they are similar concepts, but different.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
For 95% of cases, if you get the BB spacing setup correct for your BB cups, all you need is the wavy washer (to keep preload).

I've always been a fan of Shimano cranks...Saints/XTs at the races are such a breeze to install guides on.

The (modified) 32711 P3 interface lets us run a single M8 bolt (similar to Truvativ GXP) only without it being a press fit. Yes, it does require some exact tolerances, the advantages from 100% surface contact versus a spline interface is worth the extra time in manufacturing. You can also pull your cranks off as much as you desire...it is quick and painless and doesn't damage the interface.

The White Paper on the crank design is here...the DH cranks use a pressed on driveside arm...non-removable. Other than that, the theory is the same.

Cheers! -pw
Good info. Thanks! :thumb:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
do these come in that fancy 2011 demo 8 press in bb size thinger?
They are out there and being tested now (PressFit BB30 cups for e*13 DH cranks). Production as soon as they can squeeze it in (or out) I imagine.

By the time you can get your hands on a 2011 Demo frame, they should be available. Maybe drop 15-20 grams off the thread-in cup interface, and look super low profile.

You can also use the press-in threaded adapters that come w/ the frame and use the normal cups that come w/ the e*13 DH cranks.

Long story short, if you have a 2011 Demo, these cranks will fit right now.
Don't get Gravity Lights.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
word, thats stupid? Design a product size that isnt currently even made? Which by the time it is made (if it is) there will be a new demo 8 that we "have to buy" because its better at XYZ /end rant
Lapierre dh-920 also has it (had it from 09), and they offer their bikes with saints. Saints for bb30 are not available normaly?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I gotta say, I normally wouldn't comment on a products packaging but this was probably the best packaged bicycle product I've ever seen. I almost didn't want to take anything out it was so nice.