Quantcast

E Thirteen TRS+ Tire

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kinetic energy for a rotating mass is K = 1/2 I w^2, where I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. I is equal to the integral over m of r^2 dm.

Let's assume we have two bikes moving at the same speed. They have wheels and tires that are identical apart from the diameter (i.e. same cross section/material/construction). We'll say those wheels have radii ra and rb respectively, ra > rb.

The moment of inertia for bike A's wheels is bigger than that of bike B's, by a factor of (ra-rb)^3, since I is proportional to the radius squared times the mass, and the mass increases linearly in proportion to the radius.

To achieve the same speed, the angular velocity of bike B's wheels is greater than that of bike A's by a factor of (ra-rb).

Therefore the rotational kinetic energy of bike A's wheels is greater by a factor of ra-rb.

The linear kinetic energy (K = 1/2 m v^2) is also greater by a factor of ra-rb.

The hubs are the same, so the above applies to the spokes, rim and tire. If we take the bead seat diameter to be the best indication of actual diameter, 650b wheels require 4.5% more energy to get up to speed than 26" wheels, and 29" wheels require 11.3% more energy than 26", or 6.5% more than 650b.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Kinetic energy for a rotating mass is K = 1/2 I w^2, where I is the moment of inertia, and w is the angular velocity. I is equal to the integral over m of r^2 dm.

Let's assume we have two bikes moving at the same speed. They have wheels and tires that are identical apart from the diameter (i.e. same cross section/material/construction). We'll say those wheels have radii ra and rb respectively, ra > rb.

The moment of inertia for bike A's wheels is bigger than that of bike B's, by a factor of (ra-rb)^3, since I is proportional to the radius squared times the mass, and the mass increases linearly in proportion to the radius.

To achieve the same speed, the angular velocity of bike B's wheels is greater than that of bike A's by a factor of (ra-rb).

Therefore the rotational kinetic energy of bike A's wheels is greater by a factor of ra-rb.

The linear kinetic energy (K = 1/2 m v^2) is also greater by a factor of ra-rb.

The hubs are the same, so the above applies to the spokes, rim and tire. If we take the bead seat diameter to be the best indication of actual diameter, 650b wheels require 4.5% more energy to get up to speed than 26" wheels, and 29" wheels require 11.3% more energy than 26", or 6.5% more than 650b.
... because the bigger mass/weight of the tires+rims+spokes, thank you. 4.5%... How much does a bit of good ole sticky mud weight?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
... because the bigger mass/weight of the tires+rims+spokes, thank you. 4.5%... How much does a bit of good ole sticky mud weight?
Sure, a tire packed up with mud makes a bigger difference. That's only a reasonable argument if 650b tires were immune to packing up though, which they obviously aren't. And in fact, the bigger circumference just means there's more tire for mud to pack up in.

Look, I'm not saying that 650b wheels are horribly detrimental garbage. But the notion that they're flat out better for everybody in all cases is stupid.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Look, I'm not saying that 650b wheels are horribly detrimental garbage. But the notion that they're flat out better for everybody in all cases is stupid.
Me neither - ride what you love, love what you ride. But there's no point in making them quadratically or exponentially worse than their 26" counterparts either. For me, the different gear-inches when switching 26 and 27 rear wheel on the same bike probably makes the biggest difference.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Me neither - ride what you love, love what you ride. But there's no point in making them quadratically or exponentially worse than their 26" counterparts either. For me, the different gear-inches when switching 26 and 27 rear wheel on the same bike probably makes the biggest difference.
26" are the wheels of the demi-sexual.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Considering this for a front tire to combat wet slick roots in my neck of the woods.
Can anyone compare to a 2.3 butcher control from experience with both?
Danke!