Quantcast

E13 / Profile compatibility??

bwagner

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Baltimore, Maryland
Ok, on an older bike, I had profiles, and an E13 guide. I had a ton of problems getting the BB to stay tight because the drive side cup didn't fit well in the guide mounting plate. Is this issue a thing of the past now? or does it still exist? I don't feel like taking my ride apart only to find this out and havin to reassemble it again with my current saint crank setup. Come on, somebody has to know if this will work easier now :rolleyes:

Edit: Here's the deal. I'm very mechanical, I understand how things work, including this situation, but I'm trying to find out if the E13 guides mounting plate has a larger hole in it now then it did before. The issue isn't the spacer tube, it's the fact that the cup didn't fit inside of the hole where the normal shimano style cup went easily. Shimano cups use a splined wrench that fits inside of the end of the cup, the Profiles use a spanner that actually works like a normal wrench by using two falts on the O.D. of the cup. The fact that it has to go inside of the hole in the boomerang prevents the access to the wrench flats causing me to not be able to properly tighten the cup. Is there a new tool, or something I should know about? Please don't suggest different cranks, or a different set-up, this is what I have, and I'm not about to buy new stuff, just some advice from experienced riders is all I'm asking.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I use an FSA X-drive bottom bracket with my Profiles (and E13). It's a much nicer BB than the profile euro one. FWIW, mine's been on there a year and never loosened up once.

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
bwanger -

I'm assuming you're talking about the ISCG plate being faced outboard? The cupped side is outboard, I mean? B/C if this is the case you'll have to stick a 1mm spacer between the adapter plate and the BB cup so that the cup sits just a little bit outbaord of the adapter plate once inserted into the frame. This'll allow you better contact between the spanner tool and the "faults" of the BB cup. Also, when you grease the BB threads make sure it is just the internal threads of the BB shell. If you put grease on the cup threads it'll pile up as you insert the cup and get in between the mating surfaces of the adapter, BB shell and cup face. This'll cause obvious loosening problems. So, only grease the frame threads, clean all other surfaces with alchohol, and what really helps a lot (especially in this case) is to take some fine sand paper and scuff all the mating surfaces - back side of the cup flange, both adapter plate sides, and face of the BB shell. Snug 'em all and POOF! no more headaches. Let me know if this doesn't cut the monkeys for you.

Regards,

Jonas

support@e13components.com