Quantcast

Eagle GX derailleur derailing off pulleys?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I’ve got a GX Eagle setup that has started to derail off the pulleys. They setup is still shifting good but it’s 6 months old and on original chain, derailleur and cassette.i did just replace the front chainring, swapping the aluminum Sram with the steel version.

Chain? Pulleys? Other?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been using the GX for a while now and haven't seen that. Same with the ladyfriend's bike.

One of the pulleys is like a narrow wide chain ring - is the chain meshing with that one correctly?

I had a pulley crack and was missing a tooth but even then it still worked fine. Did bend one GX derailleur ever so slightly, not even noticeable by eye, and had to replace it. Is yours straight?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, the bottom pulley is narrow/wide profile. I really bumpy terrain it derails and sort of gets stuck between the pulley and cage.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Lots of things can cause it to happen (like a stick or whatever), and then once it happens you can roast the pulley and it'll never be the same again.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Necrothread revival...sorry if it's not useful anymore. (I was scrolling the Shop forum and saw this thread).

Having the chain derail from the pulleys and getting stuck in the cage happened to me a couple of times earlier this summer. It seems it's only a matter of worn out pulleys. I replaced them with new GX Eagle pulleys and it solved the issue.

Quite weird actually. I never encountered such issues with countless derailleurs in the past 25-30 years.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Necrothread revival...sorry if it's not useful anymore. (I was scrolling the Shop forum and saw this thread).

Having the chain derail from the pulleys and getting stuck in the cage happened to me a couple of times earlier this summer. It seems it's only a matter of worn out pulleys. I replaced them with new GX Eagle pulleys and it solved the issue.

Quite weird actually. I never encountered such issues with countless derailleurs in the past 25-30 years.
I have an old X0 9 speed derailleur where the jockey wheels are worn to nubs and everything always worked well.
PXL_20211129_204342275.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I had the same issue with jockey pulleys on my old GX der.

Fortunately, the derailleur eventually decided to smash into my rear wheel, bust a bunch of spokes, and fuck up my ride at one point. So I have a new derailleur now and no more issues. :disgust:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fortunately, the derailleur eventually decided to smash into my rear wheel, bust a bunch of spokes, and fuck up my ride at one point. So I have a new derailleur now and no more issues. :disgust:
1638225727561.png

N/W jockey wheels are a PITA - they skip a tooth when worn in spicy steep & rocky isht, which fucks up the chain/cog gap and makes shifting zesty instantly.