Quantcast

ebay chinese carbon hardtail frames

if you goto ebay, and search for carbon frames, a bunch of generic looking, non-decaled carbon fiber hardtail frames popup from chinese (usually HK) sellers. some of them state that they are OEM carbon frame manufacturers, and use 100% carbon fiber...blah blah blah.

i'm planning on building a cheapo xc hardtail to ride around pretty smooth/nontech offroad trails. has anyone gotten one of these? if so, how was the construction? durable?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think it is pretty likely that some of these are identical to bigger named manufacturers. Some may be what are called catalogue bikes where small bike companies pick models and have their decal stuck on a factory catalogue bike. Sometimes I think a factory gets an order for say 2500 frames so they make 4500 and sell off the extras unbeknownst to the party that designed and had the bikes manufactured.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These are catalog frames. I doubt the quality is poor, but probably not quite on par with brand name. Also,no warranty. Pretty sure youd have to pay import taxes as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, for what you're paying, i've been considering it too. i just picked up a set of carbon mtb wheels from one of these factories for what a set of azonic outlaws cost.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
True Story:

One of the local roadies here bought one of those frame/fork combos. The one that looks like a Pinarello. The steerer tube failed suddenly on a downhill section and he face planted... shattered the lower part of his face. It's been about 5-6 months and 2 surgeries. And he was just cleared to do light rides a few weeks ago. He now sports a beard to cover the scars.

It's just not worth it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, what's to say that failure wasn't one of those off-chance, one in a million incidents? which are, to be totally honest and fair, just as likely to occur with a brand name frame.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I seriously considered getting one of those ebay roadie frames...but I was concerned about using their fork. More than likely I would have bought an EC70 to use instead (which I did end up getting for my build anyway). Crap breaks though. Could happen to my easton as well.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
also, for what you're paying, i've been considering it too. i just picked up a set of carbon mtb wheels from one of these factories for what a set of azonic outlaws cost.
spill the beans? I need a funky commuter wheelset and I wouldn't mind cheapy carbons. As long as it can handle manuals, I'll get one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
spill the beans? I need a funky commuter wheelset and I wouldn't mind cheapy carbons. As long as it can handle manuals, I'll get one.
i got it as a one time deal through a friend who picked up a set directly from the vendor at interbike and decided ultralight parts were too scary for him. these are mtb wheels, ridden 3 times on the road around the neighborhood.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
i got it as a one time deal through a friend who picked up a set directly from the vendor at interbike and decided ultralight parts were too scary for him. these are mtb wheels, ridden 3 times on the road around the neighborhood.
lucky bastid. I'll have to check out the ebay offerings.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Picked up a 2011 Cube Reaction Carbon a while back and absolutely loving it...
Cost me the same as a Trek 7000, with about the same XT parts, Fox suspension etc etc but the Cube is carbon.

A good carbon bike doesnt have to be expensive...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Many if not most of the China-direct frames have lackluster geometry and odd sizing. Remember, they aren't designed by bike riders. Who cares how well manufactured they are if they suck to ride?
You have to remember that most people who buy bikes based on material and price are usually pretty clueless when it comes to fit, performance, manufacturing quality and handling. Do you see the builds on the bikes posted on MTBR? The too short stems, saddles pointing down, forks that are too short, etc. are all indicators that these consumers aren't worth listening to.

For $400 it makes a lot more sense economically and ecologically to buy a used frame of a known quality on this continent from a comrade who needs the money.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Many if not most of the China-direct frames have lackluster geometry and odd sizing. Remember, they aren't designed by bike riders. Who cares how well manufactured they are if they suck to ride?
You have to remember that most people who buy bikes based on material and price are usually pretty clueless when it comes to fit, performance, manufacturing quality and handling. Do you see the builds on the bikes posted on MTBR? The too short stems, saddles pointing down, forks that are too short, etc. are all indicators that these consumers aren't worth listening to.

For $400 it makes a lot more sense economically and ecologically to buy a used frame of a known quality on this continent from a comrade who needs the money.
which is why i opted to continue riding my my yeti.

also, book.

3rdrail9er

Chimp
Aug 16, 2011
SF BAY AREA
based on my experience as a guitar dealer/buyer,

there are only a few Chinese factories building the guitars for all popular brands.

When we bring in the "no-name" versions of the popular models from said factories, we find that the difference is in the details. THe big names have really good QC and will reject any guitars that don't meet their tolerances. After QC, they then set up the guitars and put in their own electronics, generally higer end due to agreements between the different companies. No different than a frame company using Shimano as opposed to SRAM or what ever....

we find mistakes in the finishes and flaws in the wood and of course, they are not set up at all and are using cheap chinese electronics. And most importantly of all, there is no return policy. If we get a guitar that refuses all efforts to set it up and intonate it, we have to trash it.

I would hazard a guess that in buying a no name Carbon frame on ebay, you would be running the same risks...