Quantcast

Edison Snowpark to Sparks Lake Ride (w/pics)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The weather was so nice out yesterday that Derek and I decided to do a nice long mountain bike ride. We mapped it out and planned a 43.4 mile ALL SINGLETRACK route that would give us quite a bit of climbing. We don't know how much, probably around 5000 from my rudimentary count of contour lines. :) I was amazed that we didn't run in to one other rider the entire day.

The trail started with a billion little lava rock garden sections that you had to negotiate. Then it started to climb and climb and climb through old growth forest. The downhill was fast with lots of root and rock sections to keep you in check. We cruised into Lava Lakes ate a bar, and continued...UP. We were only at about 10 miles at this point. The next section took us along the hillside next to Lava Lake and was nice singletrack with a little goody or two around every corner which required some finesse and balance. The next section is often done as a shuttle but we climbed up it past Mt. Bachelor and to Sparks Lake/Soda Creek. Then we turned around and rode down what we had just come up. It was a VERY fun trail, rated Intermediate to Advanced because there was so much steep climbing and so many opportunities to bust your knee or head open on all the rock gardens and stuff.

Enjoy the few pics I took

This is from Lava Lakes looking up at Mt. Bachelor. We would eventually climb over that way.

Me in the lava field.

A cool cave I found. I fully expected a bear to come out of the back!

Easy little section but it was so pretty.

Derek along Lava Lake.

Tap

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
Bent
way to go! weather around here has been perfecto!

(altho i'd like a day of rain to drench the moondust, but i can live with that when it's as cool and sunny/warm as it's been) :thumb:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
That is some georgeous scenery!

I wish I could ride with that kind of background all the time!

Good going girl! :thumb: