Quantcast

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Being a service dog, I doubt it was very aggressive.
They are chosen as pups for their temperament, then very intensive training.
They are to be out in public, and are trained to ignore distractions, and focus on their job.
Every interaction I have ever had with a service animal has supported my view that they are calm and hard to fluster.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It's an American service dog Mykel, going by the other thread the bar is set a bit lower than what it used to be.
Certainly they don't all get the level of training that goes into a guide dog for the blind!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If something comes at you with big teeth acting like it's going to take a bite out of you, you react. I have no problem with them doing this to an aggressive capable breed that presents a hazard. If the person can control their animal, it probably wouldn't happen. I doubt they would shoot a dog just out of spite, but when things happen fast, they are going to protect themselves.

And the of course the dog owner is going to say "but that's the first time he's ever barked/bitten/charged", etc.

Hella skeptical. People's connection to their animals is sometimes so strong that they stop perceiving reality correctly.
funny. i deal with asshole dogs every single day and havent shot a single one

Deliverymen don't have the same obligation to respond to people and situations. They can drop-kick your package over the fence.
police have zero obligation to respond and or protect you thanks to a SCOTUS ruling

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, I watched the video, dog was definitely acting aggressive and lunging at the officer, plus looks like it came after him at first off the property. Maybe they need bear spray on those belts too?

That's a tough call, if someone is in danger they are obliged to respond, but if a dog is trying to take a chunk out of you?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's funny is they have said the opposite here, at least with our sister state to the North. Since it is legal in both states they figure it doesn't matter where you bought it. :rofl:
I would stop and search all people from TX, NM and AZ everywhere else. After all, they could be smuggling people.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
each violation of your civil rights in Indiana is worth $1. hopefully their revised Castle Doctrine law can/will fix this.

It was 2012 when Indiana police entered a home without a warrant and shook awake a sleeping 18-year-old high school student, punching him six times, then tasering him before dragging him outside and stuffing him into a patrol car.

Handcuffed in the back of the car, DeShawn Franklin demanded to know what he had done wrong.

A South Bend police officer told him he had matched the description of a man they were looking for, specifically, he had the same hairstyle; dreadlocks.

Franklin argued that dreadlocks were a popular hairstyle among young black men and that he had not broken any law.

It was only then that it dawned on police that they had arrested the wrong man, so they released him from the car and apologized.

In fact, the man they were looking for was Franklin’s brother, Dan Franklin, who was suspected of domestic abuse. But to this day, Dan Franklin has not been arrested or charged with that crime.

The younger brother filed a lawsuit over the incident and after rejecting several settlements, insisting on taking the case to trial.

Earlier this month, a federal jury sided with him, determining that police did indeed violate his Fourth Amendment rights by entering his home without a warrant and wrongfully arresting him.

But the jury decided those violations were worth only $1 in damages.

Yes, one dollar for each Constitutional violation, which ended up totaling $18
, paid by the three officers to Franklin and his two parents who were inside the home that night on July 7, 2012
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/08/29/indiana-jury-awards-man-1-after-cops-enter-home-without-warrant-to-unlawfully-arrest-him-in-mistaken-identity-case/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_group&utm_medium=PINAC News Group&utm_content=Indiana Jury Awards Man $1 After Cops Enter Home Without Warrant to Unlawfully Arrest Him in Mistaken Identity Case

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
whoops. always blame the training!
An award-winning San Francisco cop was sentenced to 14 months in prison Tuesday for conducting an illegal search on a hotel room, then falsifying a police report to make it seem as it was a legal search.

Defense attorneys argued that Arshad Razzak, who spent 19 years on the force, was never trained in how not to violate the rights of citizens...

In January 2015, a federal jury found Razzak guilty on four felonies related to Constitutional violations. Yick was found not guilty because he did not search the occupants of the room nor did he falsify any reports.

Part of Razzak’s defense was that he lacked the training in how to make drug arrests without violating a suspect’s Constitutional rights.

But despite his lack of training, his sentencing was delayed for more than a year to allow him to produce a training video to other officers to help them “avoid some of the pitfalls Mr. Razzak found himself in.”

Razzak’s 14-month sentence is less than half of the minimal federal guidelines of 33-months for his offenses. He could have received more than 30 years.
https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/08/31/san-francisco-cop-sentenced-to-14-months-in-prison-after-video-proves-he-falsified-report/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_group&utm_medium=PINAC News Group&utm_content=San Francisco Cop Sentenced to 14 Months in Prison After Video Proves he Falsified Report

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun

What Mader did upon arriving at the scene is a hell of a lot braver course of action than simply opening fire when the suspect doesn’t immediately disarm. What Mader did is in fact exactly what we want cops to do when someone is in crisis. It’s also precisely what law enforcement officers say they do on a daily basis — put themselves at risk in order to save lives. Mader should have been given a medal. Unfortunately, two more cops then showed up, and quickly shot Williams dead.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Read briefly, but the premise is he endangered two other officers by not taking action. Not exactly clear to me, but if I was one of the other officers, I may feel like he should have taken some action.
He was talking calmly to a guy with an unloaded gun that wasn't pointed at anyone. The guy wanted to be shot (yelled "Just shoot me!", suicide by cop if you are unaware) and was not a real threat. He wasn't pointing it at anyone.

Two other officers arrived and shot him, and now say they were in danger and that's why they shot the guy. But even if you have a gun, unless it is pointed at someone, it isn't considered a threat.

They fired a "good cop" because he would have made the others look bad over time. Yet a "bad cop" can do all sorts of things and not get fired, but end up on paid vacation.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In the article, he said the guy did not drop the gun was moving his wrist, there's enough going on here to question the story IMO. How exactly do you tell a unloaded gun from a loaded one?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
In the article, he said the guy did not drop the gun was moving his wrist, there's enough going on here to question the story IMO. How exactly do you tell a unloaded gun from a loaded one?
You don't, but a gun that isn't pointed at you is not a threat. Yes, being told to drop it and not dropping it is bad. But the cop that was fired used military training not police training to deescalate the situation until the "good guys with guns" showed up to save the day.

If you look at how police are trained ANYWHERE but here in the US, you will see a big difference in approach.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You don't, but a gun that isn't pointed at you is not a threat. Yes, being told to drop it and not dropping it is bad. But the cop that was fired used military training not police training to deescalate the situation until the "good guys with guns" showed up to save the day.

If you look at how police are trained ANYWHERE but here in the US, you will see a big difference in approach.
But he said this:
he starts flicking his wrist to get me to react to it.
It really depends on what "flicking his wrist" means. There's enough ambiguity there that we dont know exactly what happened. I'd expect the perspective of this guy to probably biased in his favor, while the other two might be biased the other way, with the truth somewhere in between, but we know he wasn't just holding it straight down. This arouses my suspicion and requires further investigating, rather than being a clear cut case where he acted properly.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But he said this:

It really depends on what "flicking his wrist" means. There's enough ambiguity there that we dont know exactly what happened. I'd expect the perspective of this guy to probably biased in his favor, while the other two might be biased the other way, with the truth somewhere in between, but we know he wasn't just holding it straight down. This arouses my suspicion and requires further investigating, rather than being a clear cut case where he acted properly.
The cop on scene said he wasn't pointing it at anyone. You can flick, twitch, twerk, so long as the business end is not pointing in my general direction it is not a threat.

I just think it's messed up HE GOT FIRED FOR NOT KILLING SOMEONE who turned out to be even less a threat than what he assessed to begin with.

So the lesson here kids: Shot first, or you might get fired.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
well giving how little recourse they see when they do kill someone, id say that is a good job security tip.
I think that is my biggest issue with this whole situation. While I have never trained to be a cop and only went through the city citizens academy (did one training simulation and it was enlightening), the lack of recourse when excessive force or worse is on record.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the protests killing tonight was NOT cops though. Just like last night when the fires/looting happened, it's punks mean-mugging for internet/social media glory and taking advantage of a sad situation who are escalating things/making others look bad.

also, PULL UP YER DAM PANTS AND GET OFF MAH LAWN!!!