Quantcast

Effing Fox - X2 Recall

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
As some of you have already read on other interwebz, Fox is recalling their Float X2. All we are told is to look out for the versions that do not have the warning message to not exceed 250psi and something about shipping before Sept 2016. And to not use it and don't sell it - cuz that's illegal, which kinda enforces some urgency.

All the above criteria matches my shock. The warning sticker (which is located on the reservoir) on MY X2 says the max psi is 300. I am running 260psi (don't judge me, I weigh 180lbs, 1 volume spacer, 14mm sag on 2.25 stroke).

If you look at their website, they now say 250psi is the max pressure. WTF?

I thought I finally found my reliable, awesome shock. TBH this shock IS awesome. Not so sure anymore. Now I guess I'll have to put the coil Van RC back on. That "backup" shock has saved me more than 3x now.

At least I don't have a Note 7....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
At least they're doing a recall. I worked for a bike manufacturer that decided not to do a recall because it was deemed cheaper to let insurance pay out people that were injured.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
At least they're doing a recall. I worked for a bike manufacturer that decided not to do a recall because it was deemed cheaper to let insurance pay out people that were injured.
Sounds like the Pinto memo... :thumbsdown:

Agreed its a good thing they are doing the recall. Good to know they can... I'm still bitter they didn't recall the Fox 34 in 2013 for the horrible damping "tune" it had.:banghead:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sooo is the issue just the label? Because I'm cool not running more than 250psi in mine. I only run 200 anyway.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Sooo is the issue just the label? Because I'm cool not running more than 250psi in mine. I only run 200 anyway.
Pinkbike: FOX has learned that under certain conditions, some bicycle FLOAT X2 shock absorber air sleeves can rupture due to the increase in internal air pressure which occurs during shock absorber compression. In response to this information, FOX has filed a Section 15(b) report with the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) requesting the CPSC’s permission to conduct a voluntary recall of all Model Year 2016 FLOAT X2 bicycle rear shock absorbers and certain Model Year 2017 FLOAT X2 bicycle rear shock absorbers. The shock absorbers subject to this voluntary filing were shipped on or before September 9, 2016 and DO NOT have a “250 psi max” label directly under the air fill boss on the outer sleeve.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pinkbike: FOX has learned that under certain conditions, some bicycle FLOAT X2 shock absorber air sleeves can rupture due to the increase in internal air pressure which occurs during shock absorber compression. In response to this information, FOX has filed a Section 15(b) report with the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) requesting the CPSC’s permission to conduct a voluntary recall of all Model Year 2016 FLOAT X2 bicycle rear shock absorbers and certain Model Year 2017 FLOAT X2 bicycle rear shock absorbers. The shock absorbers subject to this voluntary filing were shipped on or before September 9, 2016 and DO NOT have a “250 psi max” label directly under the air fill boss on the outer sleeve.
Yeah I read that. I don't think that says definitively if the issue is an incorrectly labeled max pressure, or something else.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
From my reading of it, this recall of "certain" FX2s essentially applies to "every unit out there except for the ones sold in the last month or so". I don't think there are too many wild specimens that sport the 250psi sticker so most people who already own one are going to be affected.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Out of curiosity, are you guys noticing that Fox's recommended settings are far off from what you ended up? I noticed that SilentK's air pressure is way off his body weight, which is what Fox says to start with on the x2. I weigh around 180 as well, and I am running 205, and need to go up higher. Also, I am running all compression and rebound settings past the halfway point in the range. The shock feels great, but there is no getting around the fact that this shock is very active and moves constantly with very little input at all. I think I need to throw out all recommend settings and set mine up totally by feel like I did with my CCDB shocks. And truthfully, me riding my hardtail so much of the time now may be effecting what I am feeling as well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Giving a one size fits all recommendation for air pressure on a rear shock is stupid, because the average leverage ratio of different frames is so different. For example, I've got mine on a Megatrail, which uses a 57mm stroke shock, in 160mm mode. That's a 2.8:1 average leverage ratio. If I was running one on, say, a Patrol (155mm travel out of a 65mm stroke shock, 2.38:1 average) I'd run substantially less pressure.

That said, yeah, I'm running way over body weight in mine. I have found that Fox's pressure recommendations for forks are kinda low too (and in that case, making suggestions relative to body weight is more viable, since there's no linkage to contend with).

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Agreed, on the stupid air pressure recommendations. Set pressure based on sag only and then set dials based on pressure in the fox manual. Its been pretty close on two bikes for me and then adjust as preferred.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I hope they will just make a new air sleeve and send it to all buyers.
my friend buy his from PUSH and got it tuned to the frame and all... so... it will pain to deal with this if its not just the air sleeve

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Man, nothing like paying for the privilege of beta testing. So enduro...

Whoever came up with the idea of the customer doing durability testing was a genius I tell ya.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I hope they will just make a new air sleeve and send it to all buyers.
my friend buy his from PUSH and got it tuned to the frame and all... so... it will pain to deal with this if its not just the air sleeve
Did not someone post here that the air sleeve service on the X2 requires a full rebuild, unlike the lesser X / CTD etc?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So some dudes on pb are chiming in that their X2s canister blew off, but we're able to put it back on and pump back up.

Conjectures seems to point at the sleeve is rotating during use and eventually popping off. The new models apparently have an Allen screw to prevent this. Hopefully making the whole too high psi root cause, moot.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Did not someone post here that the air sleeve service on the X2 requires a full rebuild, unlike the lesser X / CTD etc?
That is correct, removing the air seal head requires you to de-pressurize the shock and remove the oil seal head, shaft and inner tube, necessitating a full re-bleed and setting the IFP depth once you're done. Inelegant.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What the hell do they make those air cans out of? Aluminum foil? :rofl:
If what's been said above is true, it sounds like they're not actually breaking, but rather popping apart. The air can is keyed, so you slide it together at a specific clocking, and then turn it about 30 degrees to lock it. Sounds like it's gradually rotating back on people to the point that it comes apart. If that's the case you can deal with it by just throwing a strap wrench on it and making sure it's snug once in a while. Just make sure you turn it the right way. :rofl:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
A quick note about safety: be sure to rough up the surface of the defective can with this, for good tape adhesion:
image.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Put another sticker over the can. Then it will be reinforced and you will be good.