Quantcast

Effing Fox - X2 Recall

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
I hope they will just make a new air sleeve and send it to all buyers.
my friend buy his from PUSH and got it tuned to the frame and all... so... it will pain to deal with this if its not just the air sleeve
Your friend definitely didn't buy a FOX X2 from us as we've never supported or sold this product.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
sorry Darren. my mistake. it was from TF Tuned
me personally had my RC4 PUSHed by them so made this mistake :)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Has anyone called Fox yet to see what the timeline for replacement is like?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Someone on the empty beer machine said he happened to send it back to Fox, then the recall happened. They are keeping it, won't give him it back, a refund, replacement, or jack squat until they know what to do. Lame.

From some comments, it sounds like the shock body mostly un-screws itself. But the actual explosion (with no un-screw) has not been ruled out 100%, as far as I can tell...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
  1. Negotiate to get a new DHX2 with the difference to the price of a X2 paid out.
  2. Get some steel springs to get your sring rate sorted.
  3. Buy a titanium spring and sell steel springs.
  4. Profit.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
  1. Negotiate to get a new DHX2 with the difference to the price of a X2 paid out.
  2. Get some steel springs to get your sring rate sorted.
  3. Buy a titanium spring and sell steel springs.
  4. Profit.
Feel like I wrote this post myself, oh coil shocks and titanium springs. :cupidarrow:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Feel like I wrote this post myself, oh coil shocks and titanium springs. :cupidarrow:
Yeah, I mean with 200 grams more you get reliable and awesome performance for your bike.
I just found these verified weights on mtb-news.de:

Fox X2 200x57mm: 479g
Fox DHX2 200x57 with CS; without spring: 410g

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I think all riders who use less than 250 PSI on the X2 can still ride it.
the problem is with X2 without the sticker who say MAX 250PSI.
so I guess, the problem is for FOX to say this to all riders. because some of them bought the shock knowing they will use it with more than 250PSI.
I don't think that the air can of the shocks with the sticker are any different than the ones without it.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I think all riders who use less than 250 PSI on the X2 can still ride it.
the problem is with X2 without the sticker who say MAX 250PSI.
so I guess, the problem is for FOX to say this to all riders. because some of them bought the shock knowing they will use it with more than 250PSI.
I don't think that the air can of the shocks with the sticker are any different than the ones without it.
So far there are a few guys in german forums, where the air can gets loose while riding, which actually is a problem. Obviously riders, that use less then 250psi shouldn't have problems. Just check if you are able to loosen the air can easily, while it is filled with the operating air pressure.

On another note: If you are that fat that you need more then 250psi in your shock, the shock is definitely the wrong place to save weight.:clue:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I should have sold my spare X2 when I had the chance. So when it comes to recalls like this, what are the chances Fox will deny any repair/service if you never registered the warranty, don't have the receipt, not the original owner.... Etc, etc?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Next step - you'll have to prove you used torque wrench when installing the can, otherwise no warranty.

(I am done with Fox based on my recent dropper experience)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I should have sold my spare X2 when I had the chance. So when it comes to recalls like this, what are the chances Fox will deny any repair/service if you never registered the warranty, don't have the receipt, not the original owner.... Etc, etc?
FWIW, I saw it posted somewhere that you can send your defective Fox IED into PUSH (along with ~$1,100) and they will replace it with an Eleven 6. Pretty generous of PUSH imo...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Next step - you'll have to prove you used torque wrench when installing the can, otherwise no warranty.

(I am done with Fox based on my recent dropper experience)
What happened with the post?
Mine has been great, but like any brand in that category, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Well, it doesn't seem possible to register products from 2016 on Fox's website!
2015 and older is fine but no 2016! :close:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...or make your own Sugru with Silicone caulk and cornstarch....

...what happens if my Type R sticker on teh Honda is backed up with a Type R motor and transmission, etc?...
(EP3 FTW)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
...or make your own Sugru with Silicone caulk and cornstarch....

...what happens if my Type R sticker on teh Honda is backed up with a Type R motor and transmission, etc?...
(EP3 FTW)

Well, then you get a few more HP and spend a lot more on JDMBro Tax to keep up with a Volvo 242.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No JDM Bro tax.
All go, not much show. ( ie no Type R sticker :busted:, just the stock SiR)
Old enough to be easy to work on - not much different from the guy down the street with the El Camino.
Parts are readily available, so if they won't build it or if they do, won't sell it to you, well I guess you just have to build your own. I much prefer the 230hp vs 160 stock, even if I leave the 8500 rpm redline alone.

To each their own. If you wrench on your vehicle, I don't care what it is - Respect. :cheers:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
No JDM Bro tax.
All go, not much show. ( ie no Type R sticker :busted:, just the stock SiR)
Old enough to be easy to work on - not much different from the guy down the street with the El Camino.
Parts are readily available, so if they won't build it or if they do, won't sell it to you, well I guess you just have to build your own. I much prefer the 230hp vs 160 stock, even if I leave the 8500 rpm redline alone.

To each their own. If you wrench on your vehicle, I don't care what it is - Respect. :cheers:
Yea I'm just kidding w you. I like cool cars, R's included. Just they are popular with that 'type' around here.... FWIW I modified my B230FT to be pretty damn fast..... (turbo, cam, standalone, etc etc etc.... quicker than it was safe).

edit, you're in WS ontario, so you're local and probably know what I'm talking about. hahaha.

redblocks will outlast the human race
Damn right. I've owned several, I still have the modded motor from my 945, and I'll be buying a 242 to put it in at some point. Gonna go MS3X pro for standalone this time. Buddy got nearly 500whp running MSXpro (with a big ass garret). Crazy motors but couldn't daily it anymore since the cam made idling really bad and it ate gas like a monster truck.

And on this topic, does anyone really think 150g is worth running air over coil? weight used to be the advantage, but whats left with that minor a difference? I guess getting that exact spring rate, but what else?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@atrokz - ya, nothing worse than a base model civic with a fart-can and huge wing.
Thankfully it seems to be dying finally.

I started doing the built honda thing before it became popular (1990) and am still playing now.
Good on you for helping keep the shade-tree mechanic alive. We are getting rarer and rarer every year.

And getting off-topic - the shock thing....

I have run coil on both big and trail bikes until the last time around
I now have air - a CCDBA-cs on the trail-bike. It is ok, but I'm thinking when funds allow, to swap it for a coil - CCDB-cs? with a lightweight spring.

It just does not feel as good as a coil, especially on slow speed roots and rocks.
The breakaway is noticeable, then when it does break away it seems to move much too much which puts it in a bad spot for the next hit - it never feels quite like it has its shit together. A coil just moves much more freely, and does not do the pogo thing.

When speeds pick up, the air is not as noticeable, and does a decent job 'cept the small bump thing.

At this point I will take the half pound plus or so for the quite noticeable performance increase.

Coil FTW

...but then what do I know - I ride a too many pivots Knolly with 26" wheels....
now get offa my lawn :shakefist:

Last edited: