Quantcast

Effing Fox - X2 Recall

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
last of a breed indeed. I'm even doing a decent amount of work on my E91 daily. Helps to have access to a buddys shop and scan tools though.

And yea, weight loss isn't all it's cracked up to be when it's minor and degrades performance. getting both is a win win, but I'll take performance all day. To give a totally anecdotal example, I swapped from a 34 talus (skf seals, yada yada) to a 360CR and shaved seconds off my lap times at kelso, and the fork is noticeably heavier. Just the suspension action alone allows me to stay at a higher speed in the roots, rooty corners, etc.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
And yea, weight loss isn't all it's cracked up to be when it's minor and degrades performance. getting both is a win win, but I'll take performance all day. To give a totally anecdotal example, I swapped from a 34 talus (skf seals, yada yada) to a 360CR and shaved seconds off my lap times at kelso, and the fork is noticeably heavier. Just the suspension action alone allows me to stay at a higher speed in the roots, rooty corners, etc.
This is an outrageous and shameful claim, which should be punished with the ban hammer.

This sort of deviant behavior leads to (fucking) aluminum bikes winning EWS races and such shit. The lizard people will be "in touch" shortly Mr. Heretic.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
This is an outrageous and shameful claim, which should be punished with the ban hammer.

This sort of deviant behavior leads to (fucking) aluminum bikes winning EWS races and such shit. The lizard people will be "in touch" shortly Mr. Heretic.
I had a knock on my door last night, and today I hang my head in shame for what I have become.

to atone for my sins, I've ordered a boost rear hub. I have no idea what I will put this on, but I am told the elizarduro Gods will accept this as sacrifice for my sins. I will also be ordering the lightest schwalbe tires I can find even though they will flat on every ride and the intermediate knobs will cause traction loss, as I was told the loss of weight and endurbro factor may cover me for using old saint brakes.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I had a knock on my door last night, and today I hang my head in shame for what I have become.

to atone for my sins, I've ordered a boost rear hub. I have no idea what I will put this on, but I am told the elizarduro Gods will accept this as sacrifice for my sins. I will also be ordering the lightest schwalbe tires I can find even though they will flat on every ride and the intermediate knobs will cause traction loss, as I was told the loss of weight and endurbro factor may cover me for using old saint brakes.
With those significant additions, you will be granted +10 'Duro points and lo, your transgressions shalt be forgiven

However, if you want to take it to the next level, go ahead and affix a pair of these sweet ass crabon finger wings to your handlebar

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
...what happens if my Type R sticker on teh Honda is backed up with a Type R motor and transmission, etc?...
(EP3 FTW)
Type R stickers don't count unless it's a DC2R (or maybe an EK9).
Double wishbones all round made the originals special, with those gone they're easily replaceable with much cheaper alternatives. The EPS on the EP3 is pretty average too. The motor is lovely though, just always felt it had a better home elsewhere.

Sauce: driven all in fury :)

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@Udi - how about an ED9 with a B18C5 / Custom geared tranny w/ Quaife etc etc?
...but then that is pre TypeR, more like a hyper SiR (Sir was B16)..
(Last project before the current Ep3 / K20a / etc)
Always wanted to build a CR/Vtec, for it but could not find a B17 crank, and the body was pretty much shot by this time due to Ontario's love of salt in teh winterz - already had it bodyshopped once, twice was just going to be a waste of cash.
Cue EP3 and a fresh build.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Raptor_Jesus_by_DangermouseDavs.jpg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Seeing as they have to remove the entire other side of the shock off, maybe I'll get a "free" oil change out of it...

They should really be more adventurous with these recalls. I'd prefer the "Platinum" package. Where a dude shows up at my house, does all the shock work necessary, tops of my tires, lubes the chain, then he should shuttle me to the top of my local spot. Then have a cooler of beer to enjoy, maybe even some hot wings. That's what I'm talkin' about. That's customer service!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Who do you think this is? Tesla? This is mountain biking. You dont just buy products, you GET to use this stuff. Be thankful.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm testing this step cast, but luckily they only cut out half of the fork...

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
@SylentK

fixed that for you.

They should really be more adventurous with these recalls. I'd prefer the "Platinum" package. Where a chick shows up at my house, does all the shock work necessary, tops of my tires, lubes the chain, then she should shuttle me to the top of my local spot. Then have a cooler of beer to enjoy, maybe even some hot wings. That's what I'm talkin' about. That's customer service!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Fox X2 issues

Atomic Explosion

Honda R

My car is faster

The letter "R" in most replies

Fox dropper post sucks

I have an X-fusion fork for sale

Link with info regarding the original issue

Where to next? Are any of these available on Trek's?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Where to next? Are any of these available on Trek's?
A bit of a reach, but see if this works:

So you are dead inside, but lack the intestinal fortitude to commit seppuku and dump your weaksauce intestines in front of a homemade Shinto shrine. Which is to say you have a fat bike. But not just any fat bike mind you, a Trek "Fairy" to be exact...Ya know, the one with the novel "break-away" steerer tube fork -
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-issues-voluntary-nationwide-recall-of-select-2014-and-2015-farley-models.html

Thankfully, no injuries have been reported...which isn't that surprising when you consider the bikes are usually going ~3.6 mph in deep snow or beach sand. Still, Trek is well known for standing behind their product and they want to make this right. Now here's where it get's interesting. Fox...yeah, the guys who are now accumulating an ever growing number of Cashmere coated IEDs in their warehouse. But what to do with all the warranty shocks? Hmm, if only there was some company who needed moderately dangerous suspension components on the cheap. Eureka!

Everybody wins! With the much lower leverage ratio of a, umm, shock fork(?), these babies are much less likely to explode and send shards of thin aluminum into your legs. Trek can even say they upgraded your fork with one that not only doesn't spontaneously separate, but it now has real bump absorption capabilities for when you get crazy and hit 5 mph.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really can't see any downsides to this scenario.

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I use 235psi in mine and I weigh 180 before geared up. . . Mine is affected, just ship me the new can with a sticker and I will go about my way.

-Brett

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yea, that +/- 1 pound is a deal breaker. I'll take the stiction and exploding air cans. :)
Yeah I rode one for a month.

I've got an x2 on there right now. It's staying put.

I was surprised how progressive I could get the 11-6 to ride given the rfx's goofy leverage curve. It would be nice if it really were only a pound heavier than the monarch I had on there. It weighed more than the 9.5" shock I have on my dh bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah I rode one for a month.

I've got an x2 on there right now. It's staying put.

I was surprised how progressive I could get the 11-6 to ride given the rfx's goofy leverage curve. It would be nice if it really were only a pound heavier than the monarch I had on there. It weighed more than the 9.5" shock I have on my dh bike.
According to Craig S, it ain't *that* goofy. He was adamant the RFX didn't need any special SPV/boost type modifications (which he offers for the DHX/RC4) to run a coil. I originally included this feature in my "shopping cart" based on the final travel that goes regressive. In the final travel according to linkage blog it goes back from 2.7 to 2.75, but the overall trend is progressive from start to finish, 3.2 to 2.75, combined with normal IFP action and bumper at the end, he said this would work fine with a coil. I have to agree based on my rides. Craig said he contracts out with a company that analyzes the rate, not going by the linkage blog, I don't know what service this is exactly though.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Like 185psi for 160lbs of solid glistening mancake.
Thanks. I think. :eek:

My monarch just, sucked. I never liked the way it was riding, even compared to my old tuned rp23. I can usually find a good tune with proper L/H/ adjustability, less so with 3way switch and rubber bands.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the fox x2 when i got this thing. You're far more in tune (ha!) with shock characteristics than most, but for me this 11.6 is the best shock I've ever ridden. The weight penalty isn't even a big deal.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks. I think. :eek:

My monarch just, sucked. I never liked the way it was riding, even compared to my old tuned rp23. I can usually find a good tune with proper L/H/ adjustability, less so with 3way switch and rubber bands.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the fox x2 when i got this thing. You're far more in tune (ha!) with shock characteristics than most, but for me this 11.6 is the best shock I've ever ridden. The weight penalty isn't even a big deal.
The stock m/m tune on those monarchs is lame. It's kind of a shame that's what they sent those with. Mine definitely has some special treatment. But yeah the 11-6 I rode is head and shoulders better than that, by a mile. There's not really anything I disliked about it, the shock works fantastically, especially what you could get out of the end stroke. It just made the bike noticeably heavier, a little too much so for my liking. But I also had a boat anchor fork on it too. The combo was just a little much.