Quantcast

Eggs?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya,

How do y'all go about picking your eggs?

I eat a lot of boiled eggs or scrambled, or flipped eggs during the week (well it depends on your notion of a lot) - like between 5 and 6 eggs every 3 or 4 days.

Usually I pick the large AA white "free range" eggs. But this week the organic, brown, free range eggs were less expensive than the others, so I figured...why not?

The skin on the brown ones is so much harder to peel off a boiled egg...and every time I cracked them this weekend the yolk was already broken. Any thoughts? Did I just get a weird batch?

believe it or not, i raised chickens as a kid.... maybe that is why i liked Gonzo on the muppets...... hmmm

egg shell color is a factor of what KIND of bird laid the egg. brown is a stronger shell and what works best there is the blunt side of a butter knife to crack, not the pan. cause it is denser. also, a healthy bird puts out thicker shells it = better diet in the bird and also the white eggs are from birds that have been breed to produce egg volume.....

so, a white egg will peel better for hardboiled

and.... me, i do brown large freerange/natural less additives. same with my dairy... i prefer local farmers market or natural

:D

I have a cool chicken story about our last bird.... she spent her last yrs hangin with our dog and cat... pets are cool

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit

The skin on the brown ones is so much harder to peel off a boiled egg...and every time I cracked them this weekend the yolk was already broken. Any thoughts? Did I just get a weird batch?
The Japanese believe that the harder an egg is to peel, the more delicious it is and that brown shelled eggs are more delicious that white ones. The Japanese are also known to be full of sh*t from time to time so take it as you will.;) :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by valve bouncer
The Japanese believe that the harder an egg is to peel, the more delicious it is and that brown shelled eggs are more delicious that white ones. The Japanese are also known to be full of sh*t from time to time so take it as you will.;) :D
i've never heard that or seen that in practice from my us- or japanese-based family members. :confused:

as for brown eggs wrt broken yolks and tough shells, i've experienced that too. it's annoying, especially when one's mother has taught that eggs with broken yolks should be thrown away b/c they're likely bad :eek: ... even if that may not be the true case here.

http://www.aeb.org/faq/general-faq.html#peel

GENERAL EGG QUESTIONS
1. What Causes Blood Spots?
2. Why do some hard-cooked eggs have a greenish ring around yolk?
3. Is there a difference between brown and white shelled eggs?
4. How long will an egg keep?
5. What is the best way to store eggs?
6. Is it safe to eat raw eggs?
7. What are the stringy white pieces in egg whites?
8. Are eggs an economical food?
9. Are fertile eggs more nutritious?
10. Why are some hard-cooked eggs difficult to peel?
11. Why is an egg white sometimes cloudy or has a yellow or greenish cast to it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: WHAT CAUSES BLOOD SPOTS?
A: Small spots of blood (sometimes called "meat" spots) are occasionally found in an egg yolk. These do not indicate a fertile egg; they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg. Most eggs with blood spots are removed during the grading process but a few may escape detection. As an egg ages, water moves from the albumen into the yolk, diluting the blood spot. Thus, a visible blood spot actually indicates a fresh egg. Such eggs are suitable for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: WHY DO SOME HARD-COOKED EGGS HAVE A GREENISH RING AROUND THE YOLK?
A: The harmless greenish ring is due to an iron and sulfur compound which forms when eggs are overcooked or not cooled quickly.

Q: IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BROWN AND WHITE SHELLED EGGS?
A: No. Shell color is determined by the breed of hen and is not related to quality, nutrients, flavor or cooking characteristics. Since brown egg layers are slightly larger birds and require more food, brown eggs are usually more expensive than white.

Q: HOW LONG WILL EGGS KEEP?
A: Fresh shell eggs can be kept refrigerated in their carton for at least 4 - 5 weeks beyond the pack date. Quality losses should be insignificant if the eggs are refrigerated as soon as possible after purchase from a refrigerated case.
Hard cooked eggs should be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Q: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE EGGS?
A: Store eggs in their carton because eggs can absorb refrigerator odors.

Q: IS IT SAFE TO EAT RAW EGGS?
A: The risk of food poisoning from eggs is highest with raw and lightly-cooked dishes. It's best not to serve raw or lightly-cooked dishes made with eggs.

Q: WHAT ARE THE STRINGY WHITE PIECES IN EGG WHITES?
A: These rope-like strands of egg white, called chalazae (ka-LAY-zee) are not imperfections or beginning embryos but a natural, edible part of the egg. They keep the yolk centered in the thick white.

Q: ARE EGGS AN ECONOMICAL FOOD?
A: Eggs are one of today's best food buys. A dozen Large eggs weighs 1 ½ pounds so at 90¢ a dozen, eggs are only 60¢ per pound. Eggs supply high-quality protein and a variety of important vitamins and minerals at a very low price.

Q: ARE FERTILE EGGS MORE NUTRITIOUS?
A: Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs. They do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce.

Q: WHY ARE SOME HARD-COOKED EGGS DIFFICULT TO PEEL?
A: Fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. Those which have been stored for a week to 10 days before cooking will usually peel more easily.

Q: WHY IS AN EGG WHITE SOMETIMES CLOUDY OR HAS A YELLOW OR GREENISH CAST TO IT?
A: Cloudiness of raw white is due to the presence of carbon dioxide which has not had time to escape through the shell and is an indication of a very fresh egg. A slight yellow or greenish cast in raw white may indicate the presence of riboflavin.

======
or if you REALY want some answers... a dissertation on topic...

pdf...

http://www.poultry.kvl.dk/research/msc/4_3_1_3_part_c_Akhtar.pdf

or HTML of same...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:XaBoehxfeMgJ:www.poultry.kvl.dk/research/msc/4_3_1_3_part_c_Akhtar.pdf+chicken+breed+eggshell+thickness&hl=en

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Eating part of the reproductive system of another species kinda grosses me out..... And I aint even a vega-mahoovian...

...its kinda like that "donkey gag" mpeg that was on the web for a while..... :o:

what you cant tripe it? (stomach el muncha)??!

what about this....

Cervelle en matelote

An old Beaujolais recipe.

Ingredients

1 beef brain 2 veal brains or 6 sheep brains
1/4l of Beaujolais
1 onion
A bouquet garni
A pinch of salt
A pinch of spices
50g of butter
12g of flour.

Recipe

First make up the stock by gently boiling the wine, herbs, spice and onion for 25 minutes. Leave it to cool.
After having soaked it in cold water, remove the skin, filaments and small blood vessels from the brain.
Put the brain in the cooking pot. Pour the warm stock over it through a fine sieve.
Bring it to the boil cover it and cook it over a very gentle heat to poach, 30 minutes for a beef brain and 15 for a sheep brain.
Take out the brain and drain it on a cloth.
Reduce the stock to 2 dl at full heat. Bind it with butter. Check the seasoning and pour the sauce over the brain cut into escalopes on a serving dish.
Add garnish to your taste: small onions, fried croutons, grilled bacon cubes, mushrooms cooked in butter, ...

good lordy man... what do you think brats, sausage and hotdogs contain? i thought you norwegian folk where hardy... not wimpy wussy getting squeemish over undercooked egg slime on toast!