Quantcast

Element technic nickel-wide flat bar

dh-noob

Chimp
Sep 17, 2007
Germany
i want to lower my cockpit, so i may buy this handlebar. it is cheap, light and wide. i´m waiting for some feedback and photos.

my recent handlebar has got 20mm rise.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
That orange is very nice looking.............but please do something wtih that front brake hose...aaahhhhhhhh...you are going to get your head caught in there.

Send it to me..I will do it for you

:)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Deitys Dirty thirties claim to be that exact same weight and width, with rise(added weight). Not really relevant, but interesting it's the exact same weight for the same width.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
just a heads up, FSA is making one now...
777mm wide, flat (5mm rise due to a "raised" center) and 10 deg back sweep
Any heads up to the weight?

BTW. I think this is getting silly. Most ppl aren't big enough for most of that sizes.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I bought the Kore Torsion bar (pretty similar bar) out of curiosity.
800mm width.
It was ridiculous. Lasted on my bike one day before I took it off, now its sitting on my work bench.
If wide bars work for you, great, but I don't like them at all. I have a bad shoulder (dislocations/surgery) and I find that the wider bar seems to put more strain on my shoulder. In that one day, my shoulder gave 3 times. Switched back to my 28" Sunlines, no problems since.

The Kore bars did feel good in terms of sweep and the lack of rise. Lowered the front end of my DH bike and seemed to put me into a much more aggressive position. Pretty cool.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I was very dubious about running bars of this length at first as I'm not tall and don't have broad shoulders but they worked really well. The extra width was instantly noticeable and it took my a fair bit longer to get into the swing of things than usual sweep felt really natural also, I have them positioned very slightly sweeping up also. The track I rode (Hamsterley bottom section for those that know it) is basically just a rock garden with a few drops onto rock gardens, couple of turns and a few roots. I found the bike held the lines I wanted far better and was also much easier to force onto the line I wanted when things were getting hairy. I need to ride somewhere tight, twisty and in the trees before I pass final judgement but so far I'm liking them. Honestly didn't really notice the lack of rise at first but after I got used to the width it did feel like there was more weight over the front, not a massive amount tho. Don't go buying them thinking they will give you a shed load more front wheel grip!

Glad you like the carpet, it was definitely the icing on the cake when I bought the van :p and yep my front brake hose is fecking ridiculous :redface:

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Pad contact all the in, if you pull really hard on 'em they do touch the bars but you never need to pull the brakes that hard. Just a bit of trust in them really!

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I saw a pic of a wide carbon bar from FSA, not sure if it was flat or not. Think it was a sea otter. Anyone know anything about that one?

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i run the front brake on the right hand side, doesn't really make a difference

edit: learnt to be able to ride the other way too so i can ride my buddys bikes though!!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
800mm width.
It was ridiculous. Lasted on my bike one day before I took it off, now its sitting on my work bench.
If wide bars work for you, great, but I don't like them at all. I have a bad shoulder (dislocations/surgery) and I find that the wider bar seems to put more strain on my shoulder. In that one day, my shoulder gave 3 times. Switched back to my 28" Sunlines, no problems since.

The Kore bars did feel good in terms of sweep and the lack of rise. Lowered the front end of my DH bike and seemed to put me into a much more aggressive position. Pretty cool.
Why not cut them if you liked them?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pad contact all the in, if you pull really hard on 'em they do touch the bars but you never need to pull the brakes that hard. Just a bit of trust in them really!
Awww.. and I thought you were gonna share your pre-ride brake tuning tips :brows:

:D

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
800mm width.

Why didnt you just cut them?

Edit: Beaten to it

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I saw a pic of a wide carbon bar from FSA, not sure if it was flat or not. Think it was a sea otter. Anyone know anything about that one?

I have seen the new flat 777 bar (looks good), but have not heard of a wider carbon bar (certainly does not mean that it is not ,or was not in the works) ....

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
One thing bugs me. Wide bars are cool and all and have their benefits but how wide is too wide for small framed guys? I'm not short (5'9'') but I'm rather slim being 156lb with extra winter fat and I wonder how wide can I reasonably go if I still want the bars to be good for tight and twisty turns? 730? 750?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
800mm width.

1. Buy a hacksaw

2. Cut to 750mm

3. Ride for a week or two (it will always take a few rides to get used to a drastic change)

4. If it still feels too wide, cut another 5mm off each end

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the bar feels right or you are back down to 710mm

Hardly any people need a bar that is 800mm wide unless you are 7 feet tall and ride an XL bike. Most will cut it down to 730-750mm so give it a chance, just adding another 20-30mm to what you are used to riding can make a big difference without wrecking your shoulder.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
One thing bugs me. Wide bars are cool and all and have their benefits but how wide is too wide for small framed guys? I'm not short (5'9'') but I'm rather slim being 156lb with extra winter fat and I wonder how wide can I reasonably go if I still want the bars to be good for tight and twisty turns? 730? 750?
I ride with deity dirty 30's now. I am 5' 9" and weigh 135 lbs. I haven't really been out much yet, but with what I have ridden I like the bars. They just make it harder to do table tops, and I don't think I could ever get close to an invert with them (I am trying to learn them on my dh bike.)

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
Had my first ride on these thismorning and love them.
Cornering is definitely better, but it will take me a couple of rides to get used to jumping.

Attachments

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do they have as much up / back sweep as other bars? It doesn't look like it is all, but I'm wondering if I'm just decieved by them having no rise. Bike looks sweet by the way. :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The rest of their bars have a fair bit of sweep both up and back. Of course like most mfg, the web site does not have any info about new (this bar) product...

Also intersting is they are still claiming that 25.4 is superior to 31.8 for several (quite correct) reasons.

Maybe the pic is just inline with the up sweep...making them look like a broomstick from that angle.

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
Theres no upsweep, flat as, when I first hopped on they actually felt like they where drooping down, I guess that is just because I have been using riser bars for so long.

9 degree backsweep (same as gravity lights) I have mine tilted ever so slightly up.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Also intersting is they are still claiming that 25.4 is superior to 31.8 for several (quite correct) reasons.
Yeah, without the bends taking out some of the vibration, I'd imagine 25.4 flat bars would be better, I'll grab some if they do a 25.4. And if they have at least 9 degree sweep, so I can use some for up.
I'm currently running 40s, so a bit of give in the bars would be beneficial.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
How does the no up sweep feel? Does it feel natural or weird?

I was thinking of getting some of these but maybe not if Sunline are coming out with a flat bar with up sweep.