Quantcast

Enders Game

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

They're making it! Please let it be reasonably true to the book.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Mixed feelings on this one. I love the books.

What if this is a hit and they go to the other books...then butcher them as I see them having more room for a director to interpret. Imagine what Hollywood could do with a movie about trees that sprout from space pigs.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

They're making it! Please let it be reasonably true to the book.
It won't be. The director said he is loosly inspired by the book. It's the same hack who made x-men:orgins wolverine.

Some people in my company read the script and supposedly it wasn't mind blowing.

Please, please be Starship Troopers and not Dune.
Please be Jodorowski's and Moebius Dune, not Lynch one. That would be awesome. Too bad it won't be.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It won't be. The director said he is loosly inspired by the book. It's the same hack who made x-men:orgins wolverine.

Some people in my company read the script and supposedly it wasn't mind blowing.
What's the point then? The entire basis of the movie should be based around the book. Hell, I could write a 1.75 hour script by following true to the book. I bet it won't reference his family at all, which is really what makes him such a strong/weak individual. Nor, the mental interference from the bugs...

Ah... Why can't our script writers write something unique and new? Leave well enough alone and get your own ideas.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What's the point then? The entire basis of the movie should be based around the book. Hell, I could write a 1.75 hour script by following true to the book. I bet it won't reference his family at all, which is really what makes him such a strong/weak individual. Nor, the mental interference from the bugs...

Ah... Why can't our script writers write something unique and new? Leave well enough alone and get your own ideas.
Come on. The whole "the movie we are talking about is bad so all movies are bad now" idea is silly. We have tons of great movies this year. Yes this one may end up being a money grab (this also answers your question of why, though following the book would be better) but Hollywood as any industry is full of stupid people. We just see the effects of their work more often than in other industries.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Come on. The whole "the movie we are talking about is bad so all movies are bad now" idea is silly. We have tons of great movies this year. Yes this one may end up being a money grab (this also answers your question of why, though following the book would be better) but Hollywood as any industry is full of stupid people. We just see the effects of their work more often than in other industries.
Look at the number of movies that are new ideas vs. re-do's of existing movies, tv shows, or games. The former are generally good movies. The latter are money grabs, as you note. Those however can still be very good without the blow everything up mentality.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Look at the number of movies that are new ideas vs. re-do's of existing movies, tv shows, or games. The former are generally good movies. The latter are money grabs, as you note. Those however can still be very good without the blow everything up mentality.
Sorry but that's untrue. Around a year ago there was a chart floating in number of original vs non original property and they are lower than in the 70-80s. The difference is the biggest movies now are not original. But that's because we have a new type of movies - a superblockbuster. A 200mil $ movie is a new thing in hollywood and it's understandable people play it safe.

As with original property is always better. I don't agree I'm an originality whore but: Batman movies, King's Speech, Carnage (Polański), Blade Runner and so on. The real culprit here is - if you spend a ton of money on a project producers want to cather to as wide audience as possible and if something is for everyone it's probably mediocre.

Also Again - there are more good movies than there were 10 years ago because the studios going into the big movies theritory and there is more place for the little guys to make their own movies. Internet and way more cinemas in the emerging markets also help. I really don't understand how people can suggest movies are getting worse. It's just plain wrong. I don't have enough time to see all the potentially good movies released each week and I watch 3+/week.

If the director isn't on board, which it sounds like he isn't... SCREWED!
You mean the writer? Because sure as hell you can't make a movie without a director