Quantcast

Enduro SX or Chase HT?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Tuff choice here, Im looking for a bike for urban riding, skatepark riding and some DJ. I might be diong some 4x later this year so thats where im thinking the Enduro. Can the enduro handle some park riding on the low travel setting? I plan on only buying the frame and im leaning on the chase since I already have a sherman breakout to go on it.

So basically what im asking is the SX a capable skatepark bike? Also can it be ridden on trails and stuff or does the geometry make it crappy uphill and stuff?

thanks

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a SX and I ride it at the jumps as well as urban. I have never ridden a skatepark, so I have no idea what you need in a bike there. But for urban goofin off I really like it. I don't do crazy stuff and I don't consider myself a 'urban' rider, but it is well built and has nice stable geometry. I was very supressed how well the bike handles lippy BMX style jumps. I have last years frame, so it only has 3.5" in the rear and I have a 4" Marz. DJ on and it works great.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I have an SX and i use it for trailriding, its 100% fine for me.

Pay into account that ALL SX have 3 travel settings and not just one. 3.5, 4, 4.5",

Profro, i got the same frame as you do mate, definately the travel can go more than 3.5"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I don't know about the geometry of the SX or Chase HT, but I do know Thacker said Eric had Iron Horse make the "Porter"(still can't believe that crazy hillbilly has a frame named after him) is built for street b/c the Bottom Bracket is at the same height as the wheels to make it easier to do grinds and rails. by evening out the three....

:confused:

...but I don't ride street....BRAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Personally I think it comes down to racing.

If you want the ulitmate race performance, I don't think you can even compare the Chase to the SX. However, if you want something that will be less mant./give better energy transfer going with the chase is a good option. I just went from an SX to a HT and haven't looked back. I'm a better dirtjumper, I've learned more (progressed more) and am an overall better bike handler and have only had the bike for about a month. I know I'm not ready for the regional pro 4x scene so have opted to just "learn" this year, with racing just a few times, that is why I got rid of the SX, plus I bought a whole bike for what the SX frame cost.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by neversummersnow
Personally I think it comes down to racing.

If you want the ulitmate race performance, I don't think you can even compare the Chase to the SX. However, if you want something that will be less mant./give better energy transfer going with the chase is a good option. I just went from an SX to a HT and haven't looked back. I'm a better dirtjumper, I've learned more (progressed more) and am an overall better bike handler and have only had the bike for about a month. I know I'm not ready for the regional pro 4x scene so have opted to just "learn" this year, with racing just a few times, that is why I got rid of the SX, plus I bought a whole bike for what the SX frame cost.
What did you buy to replace the
SX?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I think it comes down to if you are a hardtail guy or an FS guy, I am an FS guy. Both bikes rock. Hows that for an ask RC answer?

actually RC would have answered your question like this.

"get the Foes, everybody has an Intense where I live"

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by MMcG
What did you buy to replace the
SX?
I replaced it with a Giant STP 1. Which I'm a little bit hesitant to talk about, just because its not a cannondale and it RIPS!
:D

Seriously, I was going to get the Chase, but I did not like the geometry, its really too steep for my liking, and the STP 1...well, it fits better than any bike I've ever owned. I love it. (until I break myself on it...hahaha)

On top of that, I'm not racing 4x much, nor am I really sponsored by C-dale for any 4x/ds racing (cause I suck) so i just went ahead with the STP and haven't looked back.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
I just have to add, a full suspension bike is very sub-optimal for street or skatepark riding. Although the SX is a fantastic race frame from what I hear. I guess you just have to choose what's more important to you, or pick a more middle of the road hardtail.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
there both bitchen bikes i have riden them both if you want to win races go with the SX if you want to ride urban or Dirt jumping go with the chase "mite i add that the winner of the expert class men 30 to 39 was on a chase

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by profro
My frame and shock only have one travel setting...3.5"
Man we got the same frame, 2003 SX and the same shock vanillaR. It has 3 settigns 100% initially i thought it didnt, remove the spring and you ll notice the plastic spacers on the shock shaft. It is very easy to mix them for bottom out bumpers... i did initially.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've seen the shaft spacers on newer SXs and mine doesn't have it. In addition you have to use a spring compressor to get the spring off my shock. Came from Specialized that way. Mine must be an earlier 2003 model.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I've seen the shaft spacers on newer SXs and mine doesn't have it. In addition you have to use a spring compressor to get the spring off my shock. Came from Specialized that way. Mine must be an earlier 2003 model.
dont you have a VanillaR with 1.5" stroke and 6.5" eye to eye? If yes then this means 4.5" of travel.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
:eek:

Well I'll be.... mistaken.

I thought forever that the website said 3.5" of travel only. But I just checked the 2003 site and it said 3 to 4.5" of adjustable travel. I do know that I don't have the shaft spacers, the previous owner must have not sent them with the bike. Well how do you like that? Learn something new everyday. :) I suppose that with the spacers removed I am getting 4.5" of travel. But with the spring so tight I guess it doesn't really feel like 4.5", but it is what it is. Thanks math2014.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Not as much as my new Yeti DH9. :devil:

Nah, I wish it wasn't 4.5".
james told me you got that...

but im betting youre like that you can make it an inch shorter... and adjust it from there right?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, except I don't have a spring compresser.

I was hoping to get a Yeti 4x next year, but I'll have to get the new Yeti DH frame instead. :( no wait....:)

I have ridden lots of DH bikes, but nothing wants to go as fast as this DH9. Oh by the way...I like the Swinger 4 way rear shock.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Yeah, except I don't have a spring compresser.

I was hoping to get a Yeti 4x next year, but I'll have to get the new Yeti DH frame instead. :( no wait....:)

I have ridden lots of DH bikes, but nothing wants to go as fast as this DH9. Oh by the way...I like the Swinger 4 way rear shock.
that yeti 4X looks nice... i have lots of upgrades to do....haha

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
:eek:

Well I'll be.... mistaken.

I thought forever that the website said 3.5" of travel only. But I just checked the 2003 site and it said 3 to 4.5" of adjustable travel. I do know that I don't have the shaft spacers, the previous owner must have not sent them with the bike. Well how do you like that? Learn something new everyday. :) I suppose that with the spacers removed I am getting 4.5" of travel. But with the spring so tight I guess it doesn't really feel like 4.5", but it is what it is. Thanks math2014.
Its because the spring is sooooo stiff. If you got the medium frame then this means that you got 750x2" shock. I am 220lbs with gear, and the shock fills just about right (i could use a 700x2" to be honest). So i imagine that with a weight less than mine you dont feel like having 4.5" inches.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, its a 750 with a lot of preload in it. I don't know how much preload because I can't even turn the spring collar, but if I could I wouldn't mind having another turn or two. Remember I have mine setup for jumping and MTNx, so riding trails is second fiddle for me and this bike and I don't really need 4.5" of travel. I have thought about getting a Yeti 575 to race MTNx on because I am on their grassroots team and cuz I can't afford Yeti's 4x, but though that nearly 6" of travel is WAY too much. They come with air shocks, maybe I could max it out.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I agree profro, the preload is a bitch to turn. I use the bike for trails and some light DH/FR, its fine so far, but the rear end is much stiffer than my fork springs, so i guess i am after a stiffer spring kit for my Z1 (i am 210lbs and i got medium springs now with full preload).

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Originally posted by bizutch
I don't know about the geometry of the SX or Chase HT, but I do know Thacker said Eric had Iron Horse make the "Porter"(still can't believe that crazy hillbilly has a frame named after him) is built for street b/c the Bottom Bracket is at the same height as the wheels to make it easier to do grinds and rails. by evening out the three....

:confused:

...but I don't ride street....BRAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hillbilly? I'll show you crazy Hillbilly (look in the mirror)

bicycleweed

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
SLO
Check out a Santa Cruz Chameleon, I'm very impressed with mine. It’s super light, very strong, has decent geometry, and can be set up with either a derailleur or as a single speed. I’ve ridden a bunch of SX’s, and they are great bikes. However, the Chameleon is a lot lighter, a lot cheaper, and climbs a lot better. Plus it can host a full-length seat post, something the FSR design can’t. In a racing scenario, the SX will sprint better over the rough stuff, but a hard tail will get the pop out of the gate. Get whatever you want, but do consider a Chameleon as well.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by stoney98
get the DJ frame. It has the exact same geom as the 4x, so it's perfect to get training on, so when you can afford the 4x, it feels so fresh and so clean clean.

Yeah, thanks. Now I am going to have to figure out where to get some money. :think:

Oh yeah somebody buy my Dirtworks Piranha.