Quantcast

ENO eccentric Vs Phil Wood

Sep 19, 2006
I've recently decided to go fully SS on my '06 Kona Explosif. I want to get a fixed/free flip flop hub and am considering between White Industries ENO eccentric and the Phil Wood K.I.S.S OFF (both 135mm).

How would the peeps out there compare either of the products? I'd rather spend less £££ But not at the expense of more headache in the long term.

I'm not sure but I think that ENO's freewheels are asymetric i.e. it doesn't have the same distance for the freewheels on both side of the flip flop in relation to the chainline. Can anyone confirm this? Would this be a problem for a given crank?

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Well, I have to first mention that I don't have any experience with the Phill Wood hub. However, I am looking at my brand new, waiting to be built Eno flip flop over here on my desk. So I can tell you the freewheels are not asymetric, they are both lined up to be concentric with the axle's rotation. Or simply, they both would have the same chainline.

I think the most important difference between your two hubs is the ability to adjust your chain tension without using a singulator or similar device (unless the Explosif has an eccentric BB). So using the eccentric hub, you can tension your chain, and crank on it, and not have to worry about the tensioner device not holding up and causing your chain to slip. It's worth the money for the simplicity of the Eno.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
I've recently decided to go fully SS on my '06 Kona Explosif. I want to get a fixed/free flip flop hub and am considering between White Industries ENO eccentric and the Phil Wood K.I.S.S OFF (both 135mm).

How would the peeps out there compare either of the products? I'd rather spend less £££ But not at the expense of more headache in the long term.

I'm not sure but I think that ENO's freewheels are asymetric i.e. it doesn't have the same distance for the freewheels on both side of the flip flop in relation to the chainline. Can anyone confirm this? Would this be a problem for a given crank?
The Explosif has sliding dropouts so there is no need for an eccentric hub. WI does offer the ENO hub with a standard axle. The flip flop ENO is also a fixed/free, not a free/free.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
How many more threads are you gonna muck up with pictures of that monstrosity N8?

;)
It's my substitute for not having kids. I stop people on the streets and show them photos. :twitch:

OK, now I must ask........ How??
It's a custom made hub from Phil Wood with the engagements slightly "off" so one side will engage 50% of the time on average. The cranks are tandems.
The A frame has a pivot point built into the frame so theres no chain slack.

It's fun as hell to ride, and chicks dig it.

:monkeydance:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In case of catastrauphic wheel failure the dual chains act like tank treads to limp home. You just have to bunny hop twice every crank revolution to stop from hitting your pedals on stuff.