Quantcast

eurobike 2017

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Chris Cocalis talks about the bike for 8 minutes... doesn't look up or at the camera even once. He's like a dog that's crapped on your carpet and knows he's done something wrong.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Chris Cocalis talks about the bike for 8 minutes... doesn't look up or at the camera even once. He's like a dog that's crapped on your carpet and knows he's done something wrong.
at first I thought maybe he had gone blind by the way he seems to not know where or how to look. then I remembered he was trying to sell an ebike and it all made sense.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
An e-bike to rule them all... at least in the fuglyness department

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/nicolais-eboxx-monster-eurobike-2017.html
comment of the day:
funny thing is that some people rent ebikes and then use them exclusively for downhill, while they could rent a downhill bike with proper geometry, suspension and tyres for the same price. Typical 50 years old German holidays seems to be "e-pedal from the hotel to the lift, take the lift up with an e-bike, drink beers, enjoy the sun(burns) and eat at the top of the lift, and then skid and block people while slowly going down the trail.end of the day"

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
One thing I don't get about e-bikes is why do they keep the derailleur and cassette? How hard would it be to combine the e-motor with a gearbox?

well, that's not the only thing I don't get, but still.... I want gear boxes!

re that comment... those tourists are an extra revenue stream for the resort-towns. from what I gather, e-bikes are the new cash-cow for them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One thing I don't get about e-bikes is why do they keep the derailleur and cassette? How hard would it be to combine the e-motor with a gearbox?

re that comment... those tourists are an extra revenue stream for the resort-towns. from what I gather, e-bikes are the new cash-cow for them.
probably because they're still trying to pass them off as mtb's. that'd be an even harder argument without some elements of a mtb drivetrain.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Weight and cost? e-bike rentals will draw non-riders on trails, that won't end up well.

redesigned Enve rims for MTB. new proprietary rim specific rim strips. wonder if they're gonna make them for the older M70 designs?

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/30/enve-eliminates-pinch-flats-completely-redesigned-m-series/
I use split tube tubeless for the same effect but it only cost me $6/wheel.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm probably getting a one-way ticket to the kill list with this, but I agree eBikes make sense for tourists. I was in eBikeland (Germany&Austria) last summer and the thing that made the most sense for us was to rent an eBike and do a mega-ride that would not be possible/fun (for me) without a motor (65km and 1700m of climbing...I ain't doing that shit). It was great because it allowed us to cover a lot of ground and see a lot of great landscapes, which was the whole point actually. It was kind of an eye-opener for me, as the trail itself seriously sucked. It was only a super-wide non-technical trail, where you climbed like 1000m over 25km...just to get to a shitty non-technical 25km downhill on the other side. The views were amazing however. Despite the uninteresting trail, it was honestly a truly great ride, but closer to a road biking experience than mountain biking. I would have hated the same ride without a motor...and I don't think I would have enjoyed riding the 50lbs eBike on a nice technical trail. It is very terrain-specific and I now understand better why they are so popular in Europe.

As a side note, it is still very demanding physically. Sure, you can be lazy and put on the turbo mode all the time, but you'll be out of battery and stuck with a 50lbs POS in no time. People saying eBikes are just for lazy overweight people are missing the point. They do allow you to climb faster and ride farther, but people using them to make riding easier on short rides are doing it wrong.

Conclusion: I'm not about to buy one where Iive/ride, but I understand it can make sense for people riding where a lot of distance on shitty trails/fireroad needs to be covered to get a good ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm probably getting a one-way ticket to the kill list with this, but I agree eBikes make sense for tourists. I was in eBikeland (Germany&Austria) last summer and the thing that made the most sense for us was to rent an eBike and do a mega-ride that would not be possible/fun (for me) without a motor (65km and 1700m of climbing...I ain't doing that shit). It was great because it allowed us to cover a lot of ground and see a lot of great landscapes, which was the whole point actually. It was kind of an eye-opener for me, as the trail itself seriously sucked. It was only a super-wide non-technical trail, where you climbed like 1000m over 25km...just to get to a shitty non-technical 25km downhill on the other side. The views were amazing however. Despite the uninteresting trail, it was honestly a truly great ride, but closer to a road biking experience than mountain biking. I would have hated the same ride without a motor...and I don't think I would have enjoyed riding the 50lbs eBike on a nice technical trail. It is very terrain-specific and I now understand better why they are so popular in Europe.

As a side note, it is still very demanding physically. Sure, you can be lazy and put on the turbo mode all the time, but you'll be out of battery and stuck with a 50lbs POS in no time. People saying eBikes are just for lazy overweight people are missing the point. They do allow you to climb faster and ride farther, but people using them to make riding easier on short rides are doing it wrong.

Conclusion: I'm not about to buy one where Iive/ride, but I understand it can make sense for people riding where a lot of distance on shitty trails/fireroad needs to be covered to get a good ride.
my dad used to use his bike for hunting. he'd carry his tree stand, bow/gun, gear on a rack and ride old logging roads to get to better spots faster. he doesn't do it anymore because its too hard for him to bike with all that stuff, but an e-bike with a trailer might be a good option for him.

i do feel they have a place (just bumped myself up higher on the kill list, i know) but it's certainly not on regular mtb trails.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
my dad used to use his bike for hunting. he'd carry his tree stand, bow/gun, gear on a rack and ride old logging roads to get to better spots faster. he doesn't do it anymore because its too hard for him to bike with all that stuff, but an e-bike with a trailer might be a good option for him.

i do feel they have a place (just bumped myself up higher on the kill list, i know) but it's certainly not on regular mtb trails.
You should get your dad the pivot one... spray paint it camo of course.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
redesigned Enve rims for MTB. new proprietary rim specific rim strips. wonder if they're gonna make them for the older M70 designs?

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/30/enve-eliminates-pinch-flats-completely-redesigned-m-series/
Sensationalist headline, sigh. I'm all for advancements in tire bottom out bumpers, but that headline is reaching pretty far. Adding a couple mm of rubber between the rim and tire certainly does not "eliminate pinch flats". That's basically exactly what Maxxis does with their DoubleDown casing tires- there's a 2-3mm thick piece of rubber in the sidewall near where it gets pinched when bottoming out. It helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.
Another way to think of it: that rubber strip would be like Huck Norris, except about 20% as thick.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sensationalist headline, sigh. I'm all for advancements in tire bottom out bumpers, but that headline is reaching pretty far. Adding a couple mm of rubber between the rim and tire certainly does not "eliminate pinch flats". That's basically exactly what Maxxis does with their DoubleDown casing tires- there's a 2-3mm thick piece of rubber in the sidewall near where it gets pinched when bottoming out. It helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.
Another way to think of it: that rubber strip would be like Huck Norris, except about 20% as thick.
it's bike rumor, what do you expect.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
also, this strip serves as the tubeless rim tape if i understand it correctly.
if it doesn't, it should and there's no reason for it not to. I wish all rim makers used a strip designed for the exact rim profile. it would be so much easier and cleaner than messing with tape. my bontrager duster rims and tubeless strip have been the most reliable and simplest tubeless setup I've used. hopefully this is a bandwagon other rim makers finally jump on.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
moar "info". What really riles me up about all this, is that with those rims strips, and all the compliance they are "engineering" back in the rim, they are essentially catching up to aluminum rims. that M730 comes in at 30 mm wide (inside or outside? not sure) and 520g. the rim strip is 120g for 650b. That's 640g for a rim?! wtf?! The comparable aluminum rim I'd say is the Flow Mk3. It comes in at 480g, and has all the natural flex inherent to an aluminum rim already built in! Explain to me why anyone in their right mind would buy these.

Flows are raced on the WC DH circuit so they are evidently strong enough. All that we are left with then, is "ride feel". If that ain't some hipster bullshit that makes your eyes roll to the back of your head, then I don't know what to say to you.

of course, none of this matters to me as I don't and won't any carbon rims, so I really shouldn't care, but still, for some reason, it really grinds my gears.

edited to add this: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/enve-m-series-and-rim-strip-technology-first-ride.html

comments section delivers...