Quantcast

eurobike 2017

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Explain to me why anyone in their right mind would buy these.
They come with enve stickers.

There is nothing made in aluminum that compares to the badass precision and response you get from throwing your bike sideways, HARD into a turn. There's no recoil from returning to shape. So that there's a whole lot less chatter skidding when you need traction. Enves in particular. I live somewhere with complete shit for dirt so I'm always sliding. ABS actually refers to how you turn here........always........be.......sliding -alec balwdwin 1994

That said, I've switched back to aluminum because of the lack of vertical compliance. It's tough (impossible?) to have both. But if you could......hooboy. That's livin.

These guys know all this which is why they in particular keep kind of dancing around redesigning things. They've had like 3 design revisions in the last 4 years. The AMs were awesome at everything but they broke. Then the M70s didn't break but they were a little heavier and they were kinda rattle traps. Then they revised those with WT versions.....now another completely new lineup. They might get it eventually but for what those things cost, it's kind of absurd to try and follow every new improvement.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

There is nothing made in aluminum that compares to the badass precision and response you get from throwing your bike sideways, HARD into a turn. There's not recoil from returning to shape. So that there's a whole lot less chatter skidding when you need traction. Enves in particular. I live somewhere with complete shit for dirt so I'm always sliding. ABS actually refers to how you turn here........always........be.......sliding -alec balwdwin 1994

That said, I've switched back to aluminum because of the lack of vertical compliance. It's tough (impossible?) to have both. But if you could......hooboy. That's livin.
"Excuse me, sir. Do you have a moment to talk about Bike Ahead Composites?"

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

There is nothing made in aluminum that compares to the badass precision and response you get from throwing your bike sideways, HARD into a turn. There's no recoil from returning to shape. So that there's a whole lot less chatter skidding when you need traction. Enves in particular. I live somewhere with complete shit for dirt so I'm always sliding. ABS actually refers to how you turn here........always........be.......sliding -alec balwdwin 1994

These guys know all this which is why they in particular keep kind of dancing around redesigning things. They've had like 3 design revisions in the last 4 years. The AMs were awesome at everything but they broke. Then the M70s didn't break but they were a little heavier and they were kinda rattle traps. Then they revised those with WT versions.....now another completely new lineup. They might get it eventually but for what those things cost, it's kind of absurd to try and follow every new improvement.
how much LSC do you run in your fork(s) that it is not overcome by the force of throwing your bike HARD into a turn?!

maybe it a horses for courses thing, maybe I'd just need to ride it to believe it, but where I ride, there's lots of roots and rocks that are usually pretty greasy. those rims ping you all over the place with their rigidity... come to think of it, that's probably why they have developed the ultra-wide rims, and the ultra-wide tires. makes up for all the rigidity of the rim. So not only do you spend more money on the rim, you spend more money on tires, and have to buy a new frame, with new standards for hub width, all to get back to same performance of 2.3 - 2.5 tires on aluminum wheels. oh wait a minute... now I'm starting to get it... it's all becoming clear to me...
upload_2017-8-31_15-52-57.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
how much LSC do you run in your fork(s) that it is not overcome by the force of throwing your bike HARD into a turn?!]
More than most. I'm probably 70% in on the fox stuff I run. I leave the superdeluxe on my trail bike in the middle/trail position.

Please don't think for a second that I'm riding anywhere less rocky than where you ride. That's not it. Go look at the pinkbike bike coverage of that northstar enduro this past weekend. That's 3 miles from my house. It's because it's so rocky where I live that I got rid of them. But like I said, it's the turns man. And those rocky as fuck chattery turns where it's the rocks themselves you're turning off of because there's no traction in the dirt.........that's where they're awesome. They go and stay where you put them without deflection. I've ridden them everywhere from the rockies west, that doesn't change anything. They turn incredibly and then rattle your fillings out in a straight line.

I've got some knight composite wheels at my house that are way better in the rattle factor. But then they don't have that same precision turning as the enves. Santa Cruz, Enve, and everyone else are all working towards the same thing. Keep the precision while giving some vertical compliance. I hope one day they figure it out.

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Eurobike 2017 should just change the name to E-Bike 2017 and be done with it.
Beat me to it. As I left today, I said they need to just shorten it to E-bike. And I hear that you cannot sell a mid-priced mtb in Europe without a motor. W t F!!!! I'm not really against e-bikes. Sounds like fun. I have a wr250. It's fun too. But I always seem to choose no motor when I go for a ride. And it almost feels like we are creating a generation that can't ride 2 wheels under their own power. And taking a lot of sales from "bio bikes" (I just heard that goofy term today). For the ignoratti out there, it means a bike with no motor. WTWTWTF!!! Now we can't call a bike a bike!!!

which leads me to my ultimate entry to the kill list (I think). I never thought I's say this.....

Interbike, this year, has become more relevant than E-bike to actual biofucking bike riders.....put THAT in your pipe

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
There are certainly too many me-too E-bikes on display at the show from clueless companies who figure they will get left behind if they don't slap a motor onto their already derivative trail bike. The statement that you can only sell a mid priced mtb in Europe with a motor is of course complete bs. These bikes aren't sold to people who already ride mountainbikes, they are sold to the 50+ crowd who can now get away with lugging around 2.6 tires and 150mm of travel while they ride a gravel road to the next beer garden. Reguar bikes still exist and they exist at Eurobike as well, but E-bikes are getting all the exposure, including in online hatefests.

Like many others, I also don't want to see the dreaded non riders make their way to the trails i ride, but i have only ever seen one beer bellied fat f*ck on proper trails with an E-bike. Sure it was painful to see him ride his Haibike with 50% sag while not getting out of the saddle once and hear him pontificate about how he can now ride twice as many descents as with a regular bike while keeping exercise to a minimum, but it has been a thankfully extremely rare exception. So currently the normal use cases for these bikes are people who should be riding a touring bike but want some extra comfort, or the type of alpine riding that Flipside described, in which you get to ride some boring trails, just more of them than normally.

What i don't get is companies like Pivot joining this game and destroying some of their appeal and credibility in the process. If you have an office in Germany, how about making your regular bikes actually available and semi affordable before you start dumping yet another E-bike on us? I suppose it allows them to expand their market to the affluent, fat and old crowd that doesn't usually ride mountainbikes. The good news, from my experience at least, is that this crowd will never bother you anyway since they take their E-bike out to proper trails about as often as they take their Porsche to the race track.

If E-bikes ever become light enough to be considered an alternative to normal mountainbikers, the distinction to regualr bikes will fade and just like better gearing, the electric motor will be one of several pieces of technology that make some aspects of your ride easier, but in the end your preferences, fitness and your skill level will decide how and where you ride.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There are certainly too many me-too E-bikes on display at the show from clueless companies who figure they will get left behind if they don't slap a motor onto their already derivative trail bike. The statement that you can only sell a mid priced mtb in Europe with a motor is of course complete bs. These bikes aren't sold to people who already ride mountainbikes, they are sold to the 50+ crowd who can now get away with lugging around 2.6 tires and 150mm of travel while they ride a gravel road to the next beer garden. Reguar bikes still exist and they exist at Eurobike as well, but E-bikes are getting all the exposure, including in online hatefests.

Like many others, I also don't want to see the dreaded non riders make their way to the trails i ride, but i have only ever seen one beer bellied fat f*ck on proper trails with an E-bike. Sure it was painful to see him ride his Haibike with 50% sag while not getting out of the saddle once and hear him pontificate about how he can now ride twice as many descents as with a regular bike while keeping exercise to a minimum, but it has been a thankfully extremely rare exception. So currently the normal use cases for these bikes are people who should be riding a touring bike but want some extra comfort, or the type of alpine riding that Flipside described, in which you get to ride some boring trails, just more of them than normally.

What i don't get is companies like Pivot joining this game and destroying some of their appeal and credibility in the process. If you have an office in Germany, how about making your regular bikes actually available and semi affordable before you start dumping yet another E-bike on us? I suppose it allows them to expand their market to the affluent, fat and old crowd that doesn't usually ride mountainbikes. The good news, from my experience at least, is that this crowd will never bother you anyway since they take their E-bike out to proper trails about as often as they take their Porsche to the race track.

If E-bikes ever become light enough to be considered an alternative to normal mountainbikers, the distinction to regualr bikes will fade and just like better gearing, the electric motor will be one of several pieces of technology that make some aspects of your ride easier, but in the end your preferences, fitness and your skill level will decide how and where you ride.
and when that day comes, you will find grandpawoo bidding on nearly bald 26" tires on ebay

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
The statement that you can only sell a mid priced mtb in Europe with a motor is of course complete bs.
Maybe, but I've heard it too many times in the last couple days. Press, bike shops, bike brands. I have been told, if I want to sell in Europe, must have E. Partly because dealers won't stock your brand if you don't offer a "complete" lineup. So that doesn't really affect me anyway. Complete what now?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Reguar bikes still exist and they exist at Eurobike as well, but E-bikes are getting all the exposure
the other word on the street is that this is the most boring crop of non ebike (I just can't stand "bio bikes) to ever hit Eurobike. Partly because ebikes are taking all the devo....

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Not necessarily. Big debates (at least in the U.S.) about trail access. We can ride our bikes in tons of places where motors are not allowed. Ebikes on those trails could get them closed to us.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
and when that day comes, you will find grandpawoo bidding on nearly bald 26" tires on ebay
as if us 26" hold outs won't have stockpiled all the good 26" tires already. I know I'm already starting.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
the other word on the street is that this is the most boring crop of non ebike (I just can't stand "bio bikes) to ever hit Eurobike. Partly because ebikes are taking all the devo....
I can see a lot of companies have put R&D on the backburner for their real mountain bikes just to cobble together some kind of e-bike offering. Coincidentally, the bikes that are showing the most promise for 2018 are mostly coming from the companies that aren't pushing an e-bike offering on us just yet.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
as if us 26" hold outs won't have stockpiled all the good 26" tires already. I know I'm already starting.
I have a Slow Reezay Minion DHF and a ST one in my bike shed, both from 2006. They are scary. When the softener is gone they ride like a shore 80a. Stockpiling might not help forever :cray:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a Slow Reezay Minion DHF and a ST one in my bike shed, both from 2006. They are scary. When the softener is gone they ride like a shore 80a. Stockpiling might not help forever :cray:

Just store them in a big jar of toluene.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You're behind the curve my friend. I have the good maxxis in my cupboard... the ones from 5 years ago that didn't suck... sealed in an air tight bin for woo-approved freshness.