Quantcast

Evans vs Machida UFC

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It's coming up in a week and a half. Evans is defending his light heavyweight title against Lyoto Machida. Who do you guys think is going to be the champ after that fight and why?

Also, who do you think is going to win out of Matt Hughes and Matt Serra?

I think the title fight will be a hard one to call since they're both undefeated. I kept thinking that Rashad was just getting lucky with a few fights. Turns out that he's not lucky. He's just good. I still don't like him though for some reason.

Machida has kinda gone under the radar. I didn't like his back peddaling style the first few times i saw him fight. But i've realized that he's a super smart fighter. He looked really good against Thiago Silva.

Hughes vs Serra...............I don't like either of them, but i think Hughes gets way too full of himself. I'd like to see him lose.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
What potential this card has. Serra vs hughes (wrestling vs submissions) and then Machida vs Evans (aggressive stand up style vs defensive stand up style).

I don't really care who wins the main event but it will be a good fight. I'd put my money in Evans because people tent to get caught by Evans somehow, and when they do the are O-U-T. Seen it too many times to rule it out, even with someone like Machida.

I want to see Hughes get his ass kicked by Serra. I think he's a prick while Serra seems to be a stand up nice guy. Hughes is the more proven fighter though, without question. It will probably go to the ground. Then again maybe Hughes is afraid of getting submitted and will try to keep it standing. I think he has a reach advantage doesn't he? Its pretty even either way, but I'd put my money on Hughes.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Serra and Hughes are both well past prime, though. It's like watching Magic vs. Bird 2009. "It's called the Old School. You get to play as NBA greats when they are old." :rofl: Serra beating GSP was a fluke. He knew it, GSP knew it. The rematch was more accurate.

I think the main event will be good, though. Evans is awesome, I just have a hard time seeing him as champ, though. I mean, he's beaten everyone, but I still think Rampage has a chance to crush his dreams.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It'll be interesting. Rashad is super fast. Really good counter puncher. So is Machida. It'll be interesting. Machida's style is so different and so awkward for the other fighters. Haven't really seen him fight top tier LHW's, but he still does really good against the ones he does fight. Never really seen him in trouble.

Serra is going to have to rely on a sub to finish the farmboy. The farmboy rely's on ground and pound. I hope Serra can eek out a win here. i don't like Hughes at all.

I also think that Jackson could work over Evans. He has that one punch power. But, so does Rashad. That would be a great fight.

Another great fight coming up is the Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin fight. I can't wait for that one. I'd love to see Anderson fight more in the 205 category.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That'll be interesting for sure. Wand fighting at 185 is going to be great for him. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to handle Franklin. Franklin hasn't ever fought anybody like Wand. If Wand can get back in the right direction, i think he'll do phenomenal in that weight class. He's super strong, and fast. Just out sized in the 205 class nowadays. Plus, if he gets on track Anderson might have retired by the time he'd earn a title shot. There aren't that many guys for him to worry about in that weight class. A few guys, but not too many that he couldn't handle.

But, i'm a Wand fan for life. Been watching him for about 14 years now. Even named my 10 year old boxer after him. Now everybody thinks i named him after Anderson. Hail Nah.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i think machida might win this one . i was listing to an interview with rampage yesterday and he said he was suppose to fight evans instead of machida , but that evans turned it down because he said he wanted to hold onto the belt a little longer . rampage is one cool mofo ! the serra vs. hughes fight , i'm going for serra .

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm sure that was just Rampage talking trash. he always does. I like him a lot. Funny dude.
The fact is that they don't like their fighters fighting more than 1 time every three months. That way they have time to heal from previous fights. I think Rampage fought Jardine about two months ago. Wouldn't be fair to have Machida sit around and wait for a title shot when he's earned it.
That's another reason Florian has to wait so long to fight BJ for the title in 155. They just won't let them fight any earlier than 3 months it seems.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Florian vs. BJ is the fight I want to see most. Florian has been crushing dudes and BJ has been slacking for a while. I don't see that fight going more than 3 rounds tops.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah. I can't wait for Florian to out last BJ. Bj's cardio sucks. IT would be great to see Florian get the TKO over Baby Jay.

Man, there are too many good fighters in the 155 class. Florian, Penn, Griffin, Sherk, Edgar, Maynard, Fisher....

The fight card after Rashad and Machida looks killer. Wand vs Franklin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This fight has the potential of being very boring.

Serra and Hughes might hate each other, but this isn't going to be Tito vs Chuck here. Their snide head games don't play very well at weigh-ins, just on reality tv.

But Evans vs Machida could be boring or a classic battle of styles. Both are better at counters than over-aggression, so you might see some very subdued exchanges throughout the fight. It doesn't mean it won't be a thing of beauty though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just think based on the last GSP vs. Serra and GSP vs. Hughes fights, neither Serra or Hughes has any game left. I kinda feel the same way about W. Silva, he was bad ass a few years ago, but he hasn't looked good in a while.

You can only take so many blows to the head.

<edit> Sad to say, Chuck needs to hang it up, too.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Chuck doesn't have a choice. They pretty much bid him farewell a few weeks ago. Right after he lost to Shogun.

I think Wand has a good chance at 185. Not a lot of guys in that class that have KO power. There's only 1 right now, and he's moving up to fight Forrest at 205 in august i think.

Yeah. Rashad and Machida are the guys that always back pedal. I wonder who'll be the one that actually walks down the other?

I think Hughes and Serra might be an alright fight. I'm hoping for a submission from Serra. If that doesn't happen, i'll say that it'll probably go to decision since Hughes will rely on "lay and pray". Neither of these two guys are nearly as good as GSP. But, GSP is the Anderson Silva of Welterweights.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think they should make a show called "drunken douchebags".

Film it at crappy bars where drunken douchebags have to 86'ed. Then Chuck Liddell comes out and either clocks one of them or watch a douchebag start begging for his life.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think they should make a show called "drunken douchebags".

Film it at crappy bars where drunken douchebags have to 86'ed. Then Chuck Liddell comes out and either clocks one of them or watch a douchebag start begging for his life.
I thought that's what youtube and Kimbo was for?

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Serra vs Hughes - i really like serra but im going with hughes for the win

Evans vs Machida - evans will be the attacker, while machida still backpedals. evans by tko

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wonder what ever happened to Kimbo. That dude was ghetto.
"Wow, these used car prices knock me out!" I'm sure he's doing some used car commercials somewhere. Maybe he'll be in the next quality production for Manimal's favorite furniture store.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Anybody watch the ultimate fighter last night? That brittish dude is gonna win if he can beat Cameron Dollar.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't watched a single episode since the first US elimination (episode 2?). I need to pull them down tonight and go through them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would like to see Faber move up to 155 in the UFC if he doesn't get his title back. He's like a mini Clay Guida.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
USA Lightweights are all outmatched by the brits. However, that one taller black guy on the USA team, the sh!t talker... he looks pretty tough. I'm picking him to win the whole thing.
He's from Salt Lake City. I would think that he trains with Jeremy Horn. That's the local bada$$ around here. I'm with you. He looked solid in his fight. But it wasn't the UK's best guy. That might be the leg lock dude.

The Brits look way tough and take it way serious.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I would like to see Faber move up to 155 in the UFC if he doesn't get his title back. He's like a mini Clay Guida.
I'd like to see him move up too where the competition is better for him. Right now i think he's the guy that brings in all of their fans. I don't think they'd let him go anytime soon.
I like Clay, but he needs to start finishing fights. Lay and pray gets really old. He didn't do anything to Nate Diaz when they fought. Just kept taking him down. That was the lamest fight i've ever seen them in. Clays best fight ever was against Huerta. That fight was incredible. I couldn't believe he lost.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When does Nick Diaz get reinstated? I still can't believe he was suspended for pot.
I met Nick Diaz, and he seemed pretty stoned. Or he got done with a 3 hour workout at Cesar Gracie's, around the corner from my shop.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
He actually just fought about a month ago for some sanction that i think bought out what was left of Elite XC. he fought Frank Shamrock at 180 pounds. Kicked his a$$. Bad. TKO.
I don't know if he'll be coming back to UFC. He'd be great if he did come back though. There are some guys at 170 that i'd like to see him fight. Wait. What weight is Marcus Davis at? Is he 170? I'd like to see Nick Diaz fight him, or Dan Hardy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like both the Diaz brothers. I thought they were jackasses at first, but both of them have wicked skills and they are from the 209! (my home area code)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
They're cocky as eff. But they can fight.
i just watched the fight between Nick and Shamrock. Shamrock didn't stand a chance.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chael Sonnen FTW. I had no idea he was on the card tonight, local boy beats ass.

I'm calling Machida in 3 rounds, TKO.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'll be honest, I hardly knew who Machida was before this fight, but after watching the the preview the other day, I was intrigued. When they showed him not getting hit at all, I knew if he could avoid Evans, he had a solid chance.

He destroyed Evans in the second round. I think it was the perfect example of how one particular style has no chance against another particular style. Not sure who has a chance to beat him, but I don't think any of the strikers stand a chance.

Maybe Anderson Silva can step up to 205 because someone with good kicks is what it will take.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Serra vs Hughes - i really like serra but im going with hughes for the win

Evans vs Machida - evans will be the attacker, while machida still backpedals. evans by tko
yup hughes by lay and pray

machida refuses to engage. that was his strategy. absolutely horrible. people gave leites **** for rolling to his back, machida is just as bad. the challenger should be the one pressing the champion, not the other way around

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That fight was great. Machida stalked Evans the whole time. He's so damn precise. JimmyDean almost had that fight called. Damn good fight. I don't see anybody in LHW that will be a problem for him either. He's going to pick Quinton Jackson apart if he's the next fighter for him.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
machida refuses to engage. that was his strategy. absolutely horrible. people gave leites **** for rolling to his back, machida is just as bad. the challenger should be the one pressing the champion, not the other way around
Machida didn't flop, though. I don't blame him fir not wanting to go all crazy on Evans because if you get careless, you go to sleep. Machida was the aggressor, Evans was waiting to counter and there was nothing there to counter.

I've never heard the challenger should be pressing the champ.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How about Drew McFedries? Holy crap, 37 seconds! I thought it would be quick, but damn. Talk about knock out power, that dude hits hard.