Quantcast

Ever read a post by N8...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Last time I checked the Bill of Rights does not protect you from being "annoyed".

This is particularly interesting:
"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else."

The ACLU just $hit-canned 75% of it's cases over the last 20 years. They use "annoy" more than Jonny Cochran uses the Chewbacca defense.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The people who wrote this have never been on the internet.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I thought that laws that were too vague in their wording were basically unenforcable and usually overturned.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Our moderators are bad enough without congress.

Someone here needs to volunteer to be the next Terri Shiavo.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i would not put it past N8 to change his legal name in order to continue his nonsensicle barrage of right wingnuttisism and prevent the E-radication of his copy/paste movement.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
i would not put it past N8 to change his legal name in order to continue his nonsensicle barrage of right wingnuttisism and prevent the E-radication of his copy/paste movement.

Viva la eRevolucion!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
Really? I'd be interested to see the cases you are talking about.
Why do you need to see real cases? We all know that the ACLU is a bunch of greedy lawyers pursuing frivolous lawsuits against God and country so they may push their liberal homosexual agenda of unaccountability, communism and anti-white-Christian-maleness. How could they possibly be doing something so noble as protecting our basic constitutional rights?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ohio said:
Why do you need to see real cases? We all know that the ACLU is a bunch of greedy lawyers pursuing frivolous lawsuits against God and country so they may push their liberal homosexual agenda of unaccountability, communism and anti-white-Christian-maleness. How could they possibly be doing something so noble as protecting our basic constitutional rights?
Ahem...

Greedy JEW lawyers.

I don't know why (wait...yes I do!) but if you let someone rant about the ACLU long enough, they usually throw that in somewhere.

Edit: I should make clear I'm not accusing DT of being an anti-Semite. Put aclu and jew into google and you'll see what I mean.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
DRB said:
Really? I'd be interested to see the cases you are talking about.

That's an easy one.

San Diego: There is a Korean war memorial on top of Mt Soledad outside of town with a big white cross standing in the center of the memorial. The ACLU has been battling for years to try to get it torn down on behalf of a guy who's one and only claim is that the sight of it "annoys" him.

The word "annoy" is a direct quote from the guy (I believe his name is Paulsen) in an interview I heard on NPR.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
That's an easy one.

San Diego: There is a Korean war memorial on top of Mt Soledad outside of town with a big white cross standing in the center of the memorial. The ACLU has been battling for years to try to get it torn down on behalf of a guy who's one and only claim is that the sight of it "annoys" him.

The word "annoy" is a direct quote from the guy (I believe his name is Paulsen) in an interview I heard on NPR.
Annoyance? Sounds like a potential violation of church and state separation. Personally, those pesky intrusions of church into state "annoy" me too.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Old Man G Funk said:
Annoyance? Sounds like a potential violation of church and state separation. Personally, those pesky intrusions of church into state "annoy" me too.
"Annoyance"...his words.

Dude, that's just retarded. It's a war memorial

That logic would have us pull the crosses out of Arlington National Cemetary as well.

Stop while you are only a little behind.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's one case. I'd be surprised if there weren't a few cases like that. Now, where are the other 74.9%?

Of course, that case does seem to have some merit. After all, we're not talking about a grave marker here. It's a 50 foot tall cross, right? And even if the quote from the guy was annoy, putting a 50 foot tall religious symbol on public land definitely seems like something that will get looked at, don't you think?

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Damn True said:
"Annoyance"...his words.

Dude, that's just retarded. It's a war memorial

That logic would have us pull the crosses out of Arlington National Cemetary as well.

Um, putting a cross on someone's grave who wants a cross there is NOT a violation of church and state separation. Putting up a cross on a monument is.

See, having the cross there either implies that only the Christians who fought are being memorialized, or that the war was fought for Christian purposes.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Old Man G Funk said:
Um, putting a cross on someone's grave who wants a cross there is NOT a violation of church and state separation. Putting up a cross on a monument is.

See, having the cross there either implies that only the Christians who fought are being memorialized, or that the war was fought for Christian purposes.
Not exactly without precedent:

Great Brittian:

Madrid:

Ireland:

Australia WWII:

New Guinea:

Australia WWI:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
Our moderators are bad enough without congress.
So if you annoy me to the point where I moderate you, and it annoys you, since both of us are using aliases and our avatars are not pictures of our actual faces (at least yours isn't), and we both end up in the slammer for 2 years, will you be my bitch?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
So if you annoy me to the point where I moderate you, and it annoys you, since both of us are using aliases and our avatars are not pictures of our actual faces (at least yours isn't), and we both end up in the slammer for 2 years, will you be my bitch?

There is no way I would want my ass "moderated". :dead:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
yes45

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Echo said:
and our avatars are not pictures of our actual faces (at least yours isn't)
You can take off the Santa hat now. And for the love of jeebus, stop smiling already.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Damn True said:
That's an easy one.

The ACLU wasn't basing their case on it "annoying" someone. Would you like to try again?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

So I'm pressing charges against:

Well, I was going to say DRB and DT, but I actually like you guys, so I guess it's just Pterodactyl and The Amish.

Seriously, what a fvckin retarded law. Hopefully it simply won't be enforced.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
How about you go back to your corner and resume spankin' er monkey?
It's MY corner and MY monkey.

You annoy me again and it's the slammer for you!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn True said:
"That logic would have us pull the crosses out of Arlington National Cemetary as well.

Hahaha.......

You've never been there have you?

Of course knowledge isn't always your strong point when ranting.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're thinking about the normandie memorial in france. I know you're so infatuated with their culture and consider yourself a francophile.

Arlington

Normandie.

Damn True said:
Condescension in the middle of straight up wrongness is funny.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
kidwoo said:
Hahaha.......

You've never been there have you?

Of course knowledge isn't always your strong point when ranting.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're thinking about the normandie memorial in france. I know you're so infatuated with their culture and consider yourself a francophile.

Arlington

Normandie.

Condescension in the middle of straight up wrongness is funny.
I think the crosses are carved on the headstones in the case of it being for a vet... unless that person was jewish then a Star-o-David is carved.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So, you can annoy people if you're not completely anonymous?

What will congress do when people who are annoying on-line are tracked down off-line and harrassed or harmed?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 said:
I think the crosses are carved on the headstones in the case of it being for a vet... unless that person was jewish then a Star-o-David is carved.

I want a big golden buddha statue on mine, My wife will make it happen.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
LordOpie said:
So, you can annoy people if you're not completely anonymous?

What will congress do when people who are annoying on-line are tracked down off-line and harrassed or harmed?

Beating the crap out of someone is still as legal as it always was.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Yes I have been there. This time last year as a matter of fact. Bloody cold as I recall.......I also recall the place being chock full of crosses:

The Grave of Senator Robert F Kennedy:

The inscriptions of the cross on headstones (Star of David for Jews):

The older "pre-standardized" section of the cemetery:

and some private issued headstones with "gasp" crosses on govt land

The angle I first saw this from caused me to recall the phrase; "One Nation under God." because from where I was standing at the time the cross rose above the flagpole.

The Virgin Mary AND a cross behind the cannon

Should the ACLU go after the Sullivan family, or the Cemetery or Bush himself?

A memorial to the fallen (all of them) during the Mexican Civil War

Jesus himself along with Father & Son Poremba

The Memorial Ampetheatre dressed for Easter Sunrise Service. Easter being the day that Christ rose if you recall.

Banner on the right reads "He is risen" at the free, nondenominational worship service celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ and life everlasting, the central tenet of the Christian faith. (phrase quoted from the National Cemeteries official website.)

An angel (not Catholic so I've no idea which one it might be) and a cross in section 1

Memorial to the Challenger Astronauts and the Iran Hostage rescue mission

What were you saying about "wrongness" and "condecenscion" woo?

Have YOU been there? Or did you just Google it?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Reactor said:
I want a big golden buddha statue on mine, My wife will make it happen.
If you are a Vet and that is so stated in your paperwork with the Veterans Admin it will be done. I stood on an Honor Guard for one of the soldiers that served in the 442nd with Daniel Inoye. His headstone had a Buddah on it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wow.

So you just spent god knows how long scouring the website looking for pics of crosses just to show that Those were what you meant in your previous post.

So let's be honest here, jesus is watching.

Are those really what you were referring to? The random crosses throughout the older sections that are no more dense than any other cemetary, governmental or otherwise?

Because if you have been there, you know the relative scale and straight up land mass dedicated to each section. And you're claiming because you can pull pics off the website of a few crosses in a cemetary that this is what you meant and not the war memorial section that most people think of when they think arlington, especially since it's a common mistake made by people who have never been there?

Cuz right now I'm kind of creeeped out by the fact that I just found every one of those pictures as well as the verbatim captions you included on a arlingtonnationalcemetar.org, rather than you just saying you'd been there and recounting what you saw.

Regardless of how I feel about your selfishness while claiming to be christian, and the fact that I think you've got a coaxial cable running from fox news into your butt.............I don't think of you as wholly dishonest.

If so I apologize. But I do it while looking at you sideways.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn True said:
Have YOU been there? Or did you just Google it?
Oh added sarcasm later.........

I used to live in baltimore and went to dc all the time to go skateboarding and see the sites. Yes that was one of them.

But yeah I googled the pics. I never skated around with a camera when I was 14.

Kind of wierd you added something about finding sh1t on a website though.:p