Quantcast

Ever think maybe your bike and percieved needs are just a little over the top?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
I guess for me, living in good, 'ole flat Florida even posting in the Downhill lounge launches me into that category. Like most I've kept up with the never-ending pursuit of what I think I need in regards to frames, components, and the like.

What it really boils down to is that I love to ride and that the pursuit of newer and better things has ultimately made me ride less and less-- to the point of burning out and not riding. I mean, really, what does the Sovereign offer a trail rider like me -- who will make occasional trips to the BMX track and maybe a few DH runs a year in Georgia or the Carolinas -- that a good, solid bike like a Kona Unit or Surly 1x1 cannot? I in no way mean any disrespect to any of the aformention companies, just that I don't know if the percieved benefit is there, for me. Not, that a Sovereign with a Talas wouldn't be perfect.

thanks for listening, err reading.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ha...

After finally getting my bikes just where I want them, I always find a new need. My Turner is now sitting nicely with a light 6" dual crown (after going through 7" and singlecrown iterations), perfect for the riding I do, and my hardtail is a kickass Nicolai which I can ride up and down hills and launch off anything...

And suddenly I'm wishing I had a 'real' XC bike. (also driven by the fact that I have an XC UST wheelset I bought to use the Turner on longer rides, but never really bother to, because it's not optimal in the long haul whatever the wheelset...and because the bike wants to exceed the limits of those wheels the entire way).

So now I'm looking at picking up a Mountain Cycle Rumble and making it XC-ified (long stem, flat bars, short air fork, 26-lbs ish) for the long epic XC rides that I never do. :rolleyes: I'm a hopeless whore. But the wheelset is begging for a bike, the frame is a screaming deal, and I'll probably love having it when the lifts close down next fall and I have to start pedalling again. It's a nice stout frame, too...should be good for charging hard on singletrack after all the climbing is over.

I guess that's it, then...I'm gonna get it... Thanks,Colin! :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The problem is that as bikes get more specialized, the more you know the more you realize that in certain situations you're on the "wrong" bike. That never happened before there was more than one kind of mountain bike, we were all just psyched to ride full rigid 6 spds all over the place.

Now if only I had a 4x/dual slalom bike, my quiver would be complete...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
It is true what you are saying. I have been riding a year and a half and have already owned a trek 6700, Giant AC1 built up as a heavy trail/fr bike, now im on my Heckler and Bighit DH. The heckler is for everything the bighit is for FR/DH. If i didnt make trips out to snowshoe and plan on going to BC i would ride just a striaght up all around bike. Most likely the heckler or a hardtail like a sovereign. I realized i spent alot of money on bikes and plan to ride my bighit for awhile and the heckler for a long time. With bikes splitting away farther and farther to different disciplines its hard to have one bike.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have found that buying bike stuff is like building a fire. The more wood/money you throw on it the bigger and brighter the blaze, but as soon as you stop adding fuel it starts to go out. I am sure we all get that butterfly feeling when we get home and see the FedEx box on our door step.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I have tons of needs, but no greenery to put down at the bike shop counter.:rolleyes: My hardtail takes me everywhere, except on XC rides. For that, I wanna white Surly 1x1 with rigid fork, Thomson and King sheeot, with Paul brakes. Sweetest singlespeed ever.:cool: Unfortunetly, I only have money for a new chain and my 4th broken bottom bracket in a year.:(

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
This thread is awesome. Living in flat Michigan and being a very under-employed mechanical engineer, I can totally relate to Colin's points. This time last year I was forced to sell my Stinky, built courtesy of the auto industry, due to lack of use and major lack of funds. I just finished building up a very blue collar used Planet X Compo, setup single speed. I actually like it better than the stinky because it's simple, solid, and just blue collar enough that I don't worry about abusing it. One bike that does just about everything well except techy street stuff and steep, tight rhythm sections (mostly due to rider shortcomings). And it climbs, too. However, if I lived anywhere else, I would be in the same situation as Stoney. A $$ DH/FR rig would be required, even if it seldom got used. I would probably need gears on the Compo, too.

Edit: should my employment situation make a change for the better, I'll be seriously considering a Sovereign, too.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by stoney98
LOL!!! OMFG!!! I'm crying right now!! That might be my new catch phrase.
Maybe in your sig...but your custom title will always be Bobby Brady, Hall Monitor...sorry.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I had my dreambike. Custom black RM7, '04 Shiver DC, loaded component spec, and I sold it. Why? Because it was rediculous for me. I ride DH, but I don't huck 12 footers or ride lift more than 5 times a year. I ride trail. Nevertheless I had the bike and loved riding it down the hill but couldn't pedal it on the trail very well at all. I sold off the frame and fork and dropped six pounds with my new trail/DH bike. I finally feel balanced in all my bikey karma. I have a bike that I can actually pedal on the trails, and still drop the 6 footers I love. However, I still want a bike with a Shiver. Man that fork was awesome.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I understand.

I have my DH bike and my HT. I built the HT up for Trail/jumping, but now I want to make it Jump/street specific and get a weight weenie bike for XC :rolleyes:

though it is fun to occasionally take my big bike out on a trail ride :cool:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well I have a Dh bike and a hardtail...although I have the hardtail built up for heavy abuse...I just need to get a dj/slaom bike and I'm done....I'm getting better....2 years ago I had about 7 bikes at this time...D

rbx

Monkey
the end of the line for me was/is my ss on-one gimp i will keep this bike till the end of my days, efficient durable and NO EXCESS for me anyways the sun has set on 5000$ dh rigs i went back to my roots:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good thread. i think we all suffer from some degree of bike-whorishness. blame poor self control and the overwhelming loveliness of new bikes and parts... :dead: :D

how i justify my expenditure is by buying used when i can, and then selling off the junk and bikes that i don't use. that way i get to indulge yet not lose too much money.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I would keep the HT, if you run into a DS/4x course to rough for it just use you DH bike... You'll regret having a squisher every time you hit a tight six pack dirtjumping (note: I know you can jump six packs on FS bikes)

Aug 30, 2002
Snow hoes
well colin, your absolutely correct...
I'm a bike whore, its quite obvious. I've gone through so many bikes, in such a short ammount of time, o well. Its defiantly worth it, but sometimes I wonder how much money I've spent over the years on bikes, matience, trips, races etc. Being an 18 year old bike mechanic dosent help much either, its hard seeing all the new stuff at the shop and in the mags and trying not to spend your whole paycheck before you leave work. God I need another downhill bike
:devil:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Some might consider me a bike whore, but I ride 3-6 times a week depending on weather and what not and in the last 4 years I've had 5 bikes.

2001 Bighit replaced by a 2002 Piranha replaced by a 2004 Yeti DH9

2002 Kona Scab replaced by a 2003 Specialized SX

All were bought used expect the Bighit and the DH9.

I ride DH trails that require a big bike every weekend. If the shuttle road was open I think we would hit the trails at least once during the week as well. Plus I am racing 6 regional races and 1 national this summer, so I feel comfortable justifying my need for the Yeti.

As for the SX, I do everything on it. DJ, XC, street, and even race DH on smaller courses. Again I feel very justified having that bike as well.

Some or my components are top end, some are just enough to survive the abuse. I have Hadley wheelsets because I was tired of replacing OEM hubs. I have Mavic rims because I was tired of replacing cheaper ones. I have a 2001 Shiver that I bought USED in 2002. I love that fork and can't justify buying anything else...for now.

I prefer to ride my SX, it light, nimble and doesn't require as much maintainence as my DH bike.

I agree with your comments Colin, but some can justify having multiple bikes. But if you can afford it, then I suppose thats justification enough.

By the way, I want a Yeti DJ so bad, but I really can't justify it right now. We don't have DJs that would benefit from a hardtail close by, so for now I'll just stick to my SX.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I can totally relate to everybody on this thread. I think we all need to get some therapy for this disease. Just when you think that you're all done with your bikes, you'll find a way to spend money on new parts.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Originally posted by Acadian
Is is really considered a "problem" thou? :rolleyes: ;)

it's a strange one, it's a "problem" that I love more than anything and my credit card cringes in fear of....... I guess it's a love/hate relationship :D :( :devil:

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
Hello, my name's Scott and I'm a bikaholic.
I realized I had a problem when I bought the Bullit. I already have a 7" Norco DH with 888's, but that is just too hard too pedal uphill, and my Intense Tracer (4") is too fragile for the big drops on some of the trails I ride. The Rumble Hard tail is for urban and jumping, but with only 8 speed I need more gears to get out to the big drops. You can see why I had to buy a Bullit and have it Anodized green and purple :rolleyes: . Now I have an aggressive trailbike for the slow XC rides with big drops...:D I need help (paying for the bikes mainly).

You people all are missing what the real problem is.. it is not the type of bike.. or how many bikes.. it is where you live..
See I had this same problem.. so instead of selling my bikes.. I simply packed my truck and moved.. now I live in Whistler.. and I can assure you that not only are all the bikes I have getting regular use.. I als o definetly see the need for probably two more bikes... because there is SO much diverse terrain to ride..

Ah.. the pain of having thousands of feet of vertical both lift and shuttle serviced.. (or climbing on your XC if you are so inclined).. and literaly hundreds of miles of trails available to me..

I know.. you all weep for me.;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by shootr
You people all are missing what the real problem is.. it is not the type of bike.. or how many bikes.. it is where you live..
good point. cue bulldog and his flatland turner dhr, long since sold. i'm glad that midwesterners like bulldog support the industry tho, since i buy the parts when they resell 'em! (not to pick on bulldog, but way back in 2001 i bought a set of race face north shores off of him for a good price, since he was upgrading to profiles, heh. and they still are truckin' strong to this day.)

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
I can see the point of this thread, but, in reality who gives a sh1t?

I mean, if I want to spend a bunch of money into something that I want to spend money on, why should I feel guilty? If I can afford it, and I can mentally justify it to myself, then whats the problem?

Maybe the difference between the Boxxer Race and the Team are negligable, but, who's to say I'm making stupid decisions if I want to fork out the extra cash to try something cooler? I mean, we all do this sport for ourselves - right?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
It really boils down to where you live.

I live in the UK and i dont have a car yet (in the UK). Also UK has no real mountains.

I would like to get a DH bike with full 888DC fork and single ring etc etc, but, i wont be able to use it where i live. Especially without a car.

I bought a HT 2yrs ago and 4 months ago i switched to a heavily built SX for trailriding.

Given the fact that i hate rain and mud, now i am thinking that a roadbike would be ideal as a next bike, rather than an 8" FR/DH bike. I could just ride the roadie out of my front door, to the bike lanes we got that stretch for miles and miles next to the river that is 0.5miles from my doorstep.

Shame though, since i would love a heavy Demo9, or Banshee Scream.....

But yes i am a bikeaholic, and the moment i get something new i am either thinking of the next thing to upgrade or what to buy next....

Its time now to upgrade the rider.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
all i know is I ride over my budget. meaning i break more(expensive) parts than i can afford, so i have really long breaks from biking. I trashed my rear wheel a week before the 24 guys came to town last year (june 24) and couldn't replace it untill late august/early september.

we'll see what happens when i get a job. i hope my plan of optimising a hardtail doesn't lead to buying more bikes. I have no way of using more than one bike since all the riding to be done in the area -short of hoping on a bus to bromont- i have to pedal to. And while commuting the tempation to hit the drops and balance lines is just too great for me to own a road bike.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I have 1 bike, a dj bike, I do downhill with itas welll as everything else, but that's just cause I can't afford a downhill rig, but also, try riding a 40 pound, 8 inch travel DH bike somewhere besides going down a hill, it's not unrealistic of having more than 1 bike

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
This is why I'm stoked on bikes like my Surly Karate Monkey. It does trail duty and I've been able to keep up with some guys on much "nicer"(read expensive FS) bikes on the singletrack around here. It also gets road slicks for around the streets and a fixed gear with a front brake for when I feel the need to go FAST. Rigid fork, ss, flip-flop hub, several sets of tires, the bike does it all...even jumps well for a large frame. Then I've got my Kona Chute, built for just about anything. I've raced dh and xc on that frame, done decent in both. I spend the week jumping and street riding it and get into the hills for trail riding when time allows. Two bikes and I can ride with everyone from roadies on the track and in a group to the urban "jibbers" to downhillers(though currently my skills would scare me on a "real" dh trail...a front brake would help). I also have a trials mod, but that will probably be sold soon as I rarely ride.

I would love to have 5 or 6 bikes and have time to ride them, but that is a lot of work to keep them running strong. I like having 2 bikes that do anything, it makes things easy. It doesn't segragate me as "dirt jumper" or "roadie", I just ride bikes as much as possible. Lots of bikes are cool and if I could have them all I would, but what I want and what I need are two different things. I wanted a new fork for my bike, but spending the money for a trip to TJ to build a house was what I needed to do. Some times you gotta weigh the values, me and my bikes don't always come first.

That said, you can get a lot done on one or two bikes, but as one bike addict said.
Q: "How many bikes is the right number?"
A: "One more than I have"

The Ito

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
ahh yes...the ever present question of "do i really need that".
well...kinda? ;)
i've definitely been a bike whore

my bike progression in the last few years has been:

cannondale f1000 ---> turner XCE ---> Foes DHS mono

then it went to multiple bikes at one time...
the ever present Spooky Metalhead
the DH bikes went: Foes ---> Balfa bb7 ---> Spooky Motorhead

then i decided i needed a trail bike, so i got a Spooky Pitboss

not to mention the Foes Zig-Zag i owned for a while.

but currently its down to 3 where it *should* stay :)

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
I just sold my Bullit and super-t I got a new Kona chute that had never been sold back in 2002. I have done my share of 12+ foot drops some burly gaps and even road part of the North Shore and Whistler. I loved my Bullit and took pride in owning such a fine tool. I began to depend more on the equipment and less on my skill. I finally sat down one day and thought about what was the most fun to me. I have done a few races and have oneupped some of my buddies. Really though what is fun?? I dont think there is ever going to be one all purpose perfect bike. I think you have to look at what style you want to ride and where you want to ride and then get a machine that compliments your prefference. I want to learn to dirtjump and ride trails. I am not interested in blasting down the side of mountains or doing 15 foot drops to 20 foot gap blah blah blah. I just want to go back to riding for fun. When I used to go out with my buddies and we would all be alone together. I think most of these so called specialty bikes are just an excuse for riders to not learn the correct way to ride.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I have had too many bikes that in one way or another I ended up not liking. I now have two bikes. My 02 DHR ( my jean creamer ) and my new Heckler trailbike ( built up with an RLC 125, Deemax's and Michie tubeless )

I see no need for an true light XC bike as I will make do on hills with the Heckler Vs. hating the ride back down on an XC rig. I am now happy just wearing out parts...... must buy new El Caminos........ :drool:

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Just sold a heavier FR bike (RM7) and the lightweight XC KHS to get an '03 AC1, sure big bikes are cool - but who really needs one to ride the resorts a few days a summer?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I see a lot of people buy all kinds of stuff but then there are no money left for a good car or a Whistler trip. My advice save a little on bike parts and use it on a whistler trip or some other big mountain. For me its when you ride the mountain the bike shines and it give you memories for life were as you quickly forget about some part you bought.