Quantcast

Ever wonder if the Tea Party is racist?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here's the proof - the most articulate man in Tea Party trying to defeat the Civil Right Act:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/20/rand-paul-tells-maddow-th_n_582872.html

Maddow:... How about desegregating lunch counters?

Paul: Well what it gets into then is if you decide that restaurants are publicly owned and not privately owned, then do you say that you should have the right to bring your gun into a restaurant even though the owner of the restaurant says 'well no, we don't want to have guns in here' the bar says 'we don't want to have guns in here because people might drink and start fighting and shoot each-other.' Does the owner of the restaurant own his restaurant? Or does the government own his restaurant? These are important philosophical debates but not a very practical discussion...

Maddow: Well, it was pretty practical to the people who had the life nearly beaten out of them trying to desegregate Walgreen's lunch counters despite these esoteric debates about what it means about ownership. This is not a hypothetical Dr. Paul.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you didn't include his entire answer, which was
PAUL: Yes. I‘m not in favor of any discrimination of any form. I would never belong to any club that excluded anybody for race. We still do have private clubs in America that can discriminate based on race. But I think what‘s important about this debate is not written into any specific “gotcha” on this, but asking the question: what about freedom of speech? Should we limit speech from people we find abhorrent? Should we limit racists from speaking? I don‘t want to be associated with those people, but I also don‘t want to limit their speech in any way in the sense that we tolerate boorish and uncivilized behavior because that‘s one of the things freedom requires is that we allow people to be boorish and uncivilized, but that doesn‘t mean we approve of it. I think the problem with this debate is by getting muddled down into it, the implication is somehow that I would approve of any racism or discrimination, and I don‘t in any form or fashion.
and then from the NPR interview:
"What I've always said is, I'm opposed to institutional racism, and I would have--if I was alive at the time, I think--had the courage to march with Martin Luther King to overturn institutional racism, and I see no place in our society for institutional racism," he said in response to a first question about the act.

"You would have marched with Martin Luther King but voted with Barry Goldwater?" asked an interviewer.

"I think it's confusing in a lot of cases in what's actually in the Civil Rights Case (sic)," Paul replied. "A lot of things that were actually in the bill I'm actually in favor of. I'm in favor of--everything with regards to ending institutional racism. So I think there's a lot to be desired in the Civil Rights--and indeed the truth is, I haven't read all through it, because it was passed 40 years ago and hadn't been a real pressing issue on the campaign on whether I'm going to vote for the Civil Rights Act."
but he does raise an interesting point: preventing membership in various organizations based upon race. think of any random minority race based organization to see the flip side.

it's a razor's edge, and i think he's getting too nuanced to avoid being smeared in the press. rightfully or wrongfully.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
you didn't include his entire answer, which was
and then from the NPR interview:but he does raise an interesting point: preventing membership in various organizations based upon race. think of any random minority race based organization to see the flip side.

it's a razor's edge, and i think he's getting too nuanced to avoid being smeared in the press. rightfully or wrongfully.
You and I could join the NAACP in a second. I could not join [insert private institution that discriminates against minorities].

Take this comment, when asked about the Disabilities Act:

SEIGEL: But it‘s been one of the major developments in American history in the course of your life. I mean, do you think the ‘64 Civil Rights Act, or the ADA for that matter, were just overreaches and that business shouldn‘t be bothered by people with the basis in law to sue them for redress?

PAUL: Right. I think a lot of things could be handled locally. For example, I think that we should try to do everything we can to allow for peoples with disabilities and handicaps. You know, we do it in our office with wheelchair ramps and things like that. I think if you have a two-story office and you hire someone who‘s handicapped, it might be reasonable to let them have an office on the first floor rather than the government saying you have to have a $100,000 elevator. And I think when you get to solutions like that, the more local the better and the more common sense the decisions are rather than having a federal government make those decisions.
I thought it would be even easier to fire the person in the wheelchair.

The presumption is that left to their own devices, businesses would do the right thing.

Based on Goldman Sachs and BP, I am now totally convinced that companies would do the wrong thing if it saved them a buck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My biggest complaint with the Tea Party is conveniently ignoring history with their ideals.

I've had this discussion about racism with Teabaggers about how they view everyone as equal and everyone should have the same opportunities, i.e. no Affirmative Action.

It just conveniently ignores the 200 years of oppression against blacks, the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the current backlash against Latinos.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the current backlash against Latinos.
excellent word choice

does mmike see what you did there? he should.

but, srsly, i think it's more accurately couched in terms of 'blowback'. for to call one group entire innocent & undeserving of of 'societal adjustment' (what you call backlash) is pretty insulting to the groups that suffered institutionalized discrimination based upon color/ethnicity before the fact

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what, did moff write for you a perl script that snorts the application of your username & sends you a text alert?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Update: Paul(tard) not only backs away from the stand he took *last night*, but also admits that he shouldn't have even gone on the Maddow show...

Paul Thursday said:
Paul also said that appearing on Maddow’s show "was a poor political decision.”
Paul Wed Night said:
“You’re an intelligent person; I like being on your show."
Yup, Rand, you might just want to stick to Fox News and other outlets that aren't going to ask you any hard questions, or ask you to clarify anything you've ever said. It should be much easier that way...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Update: Paul(tard) not only backs away from the stand he took *last night*, but also admits that he shouldn't have even gone on the Maddow show...

Yup, Rand, you might just want to stick to Fox News and other outlets that aren't going to ask you any hard questions, or ask you to clarify anything you've ever said. It should be much easier that way...
"But they have seemed to unleash the loony left on me."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
well, that's it then: i'm tearing up my black panther party membership card

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
You Betcha. Guaranteed he wouldn't be so flippant about race if he wasn't the craka white son of a fairly rich/powerful congressman. Only that kind of upbringing could lead to a statement that full of stupid.
We should make a movie about it and cast Jamie Kennedy in the starring role.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
My biggest complaint with the Tea Party is conveniently ignoring history with their ideals.

I've had this discussion about racism with Teabaggers about how they view everyone as equal and everyone should have the same opportunities, i.e. no Affirmative Action.

It just conveniently ignores the 200 years of oppression against blacks, the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the current backlash against Latinos.
White Man says racism against spooks, beaners, and heebs not an issue...news at 11.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As an aside why would a guy named Ron name his son Rand?
conceived in the backseat of a ford stationwagon on some dirt road in texas....ron thought he had pulled out in time...half his load ended up in mrs paul....the other half dribbled out of her snatch and onto the road atlas which would give the inspiration for his sons name.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I can't wait to see how Rand's platform of eliminating farm subsidies and raising the retirement age to 70 play out with the rural farmers in KY along with the blue-hairs in the Tea Party. Does anyone else see the primaries on Tues (along with the democratic win in Murtha's district, which went for McCain in 2008) as an overall positive sign for the Democrats? Recent polling shows that the American public (by a 44-40 margin) feels that the Democrats should control congress, and the more fringe/loony-right that are nominated to run on the ticket, the better the chances the Democrat has.

Who would've thought that suddenly KY would actually be in play for the Democrats??

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should have called this thread "Why Libertarians Suck"

Kentucky's Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is criticizing President Barack Obama's handling of the gulf oil debacle as putting "his boot heel on the throat of BP."

Paul says Obama's criticism of the oil company sounds like an attack on business and "really un-American."

In an interview Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Paul says the president's response is part of the "blame game" that's played in the U.S. Paul said that leads to the thinking that tragic incidents are "always someone's fault" and added, sometimes accidents just happen.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What a fvcking tool. The BP accident is someones fault. Something that big and complex doesn't have accidents. Airplanes are the same way, someone has to cut a corner, not be paying attention, willfully negligent or some combination for a plane to auger in. Aircraft accidents always boil down to that and something like an oil platform is going to be the same. He keeps opening his mouth to try and prove some grandiose libertarian ideological view point and all he does is make Sarah Palin sound a little bit smarter.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What a fvcking tool. The BP accident is someones fault. Something that big and complex doesn't have accidents. Airplanes are the same way, someone has to cut a corner, not be paying attention, willfully negligent or some combination for a plane to auger in. Aircraft accidents always boil down to that and something like an oil platform is going to be the same. He keeps opening his mouth to try and prove some grandiose libertarian ideological view point and all he does is make Sarah Palin sound a little bit smarter.
I'm sure it is some comfort to the families of the 11 rig workers who died that "sh!t happens".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
His point is one that's stressed in medicine. It's often system-level errors that let things like the BP disaster happen. Humans err. This is something that should be expected, and the system should be robust enough that a given error doesn't bring the whole house down.

I actually agree with a lot of Rand Paul's sentiments--raising retirement age, eliminating farm subsidies--but I think he's going to get ripped up in the press because people are too stupid to perceive nuanced positions and he condenses to sound bites particularly poorly.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I actually agree with a lot of Rand Paul's sentiments--raising retirement age, eliminating farm subsidies--but I think he's going to get ripped up in the press because people are too stupid to perceive nuanced positions and he condenses to sound bites particularly poorly.
As to your second point, you don't think that maybe the problem is perhaps a "libertarian" who is comfortable with marijuana being illegal and who has the following position on abortion:

http://www.randpaul2010.com/issues/a-g/abortion-2/

So, to summarize: zygotes deserve federal protection, blacks don't.

His positions are about as nuanced as Sarah Palin's, or the Joker.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
also from his website: I believe abortion is taking the life of an innocent human being.

good thing he's not a lawyer, or wasn't raised in a household w/ one

but really, his main issue is trying to be too clever by half. but he needs more than 30 seconds to say that congressmen don't vote for a bill/act only when it's 100% in line w/ their political leanings. funny how pragmatism and intellectual honesty get lynched when it's more convenient to call someone a racist.