Quantcast

Everytime I see The Bike Company's ad in Dirt...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I seriously want to kick a retarded baby. It took me 10 minutes the first time I saw it to even understand what it said, then when I did I thought maybe I somehow opened the newest issue of flat biller monthly.

The ad's suck so bad, and they are the nicest group of dudes. I think whoever does their ad's need the computer taken away until they read some fundamentals on design. Everytime I see the ad I think it's an inside joke to drive typography nerds bat**** crazy and then I think after seeing the ad who the hell would call the shop to actually buy anything other than wifebeaters and Four Loco.

It's not hard to spot. It's the worst looking, unreadable full page in the book.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the ad is hideous.

whoever does espn's magazine should be assfvcked with a porcupine.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
yeah...my eyes are bleeding again.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Here's an idea for all up and coming designers. All wordmarks should be almost unreadable. Branding is for chumps. It looks like an at a flea markets in georgia.

If you get the page across from it your stoked as your ad could be complete **** and it'll still look good.

If the headline isnt bad enough, lets use some photoshop effects. Theres absolutely nothing adding fake chrome and a bad drop shadow cannot fix, especially a font that is actually worse than papyrus.

Layering, noobs. all photoshop files must have at a minimum of 19 layers, pile whatever you want in, opacity and overlay are your bestest buddies.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I can't tell you, I cannot read the ad.

I think they use burning cowboy or some equally ****ty font now as well. I wonder if affliction is bummed someone made an out of of their shirts.

All I know is the marketing director at Foes now looks like he works for Wieden & Kennedy

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The response that solicits from me is closer to "I want to hit the guy who designed this with a shovel" than "I want to buy some bike stuff".

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
It has to be an inside joke, like they are Kauffman-ing us. I bet someone that makes the ad's has a piece of paper that says "I am a Phoenix" and lives it like it's everybody's business.

This is what happens when Adobe ports programs to Windows.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
They won, actually. It's great marketing. Look how many of us are online discussing their company.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
In this case, since it took me more time to decipher the michoican hieroglyphics on the ad than it did to look over the rest of the magazine I'd say that operators are still standing by awaiting your call.

Actually they have skypagers, awaiting your beep.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
LOL... They are here in SoCal and I am gonna stop going bc of that ad... Oh, the ad and the fact that my bud opened up a shop.

Regardless though, I still don't like them. They are NOT the nicest bunch of guys. My buddy Mark (Slugman) went in there and they started telling him that his setup (I think it was a Soul-Cycle Titan) was not set up right and he didn't know what he was doing... Not bc something was on backwards or incorrectly. They just didn't like his stem choice or the fork he was using. Maybe Slugman can chime in on the specifics.

I'll tell you what though, he was just about keeping up with me on my V-10 at N* on that "BAD" bike setup.

Common sense says that you don't rag on a new customer when they come in. SOME of the guys there also have huge "tudes"... like they are god's gift to bikers and the best riders in teh world. So you have APril Lawyer or Lopes coming in. Be a little more modest.

They also told me that Ironhorse's are "junk" and I should buy an Ibis... when I walked in with my 7point.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
I lived about 2 miles from the shop and they were always super helpful and way nice, obviously everyone will take something different away from an experience.

...except in regards to this ad, then we all take the same ****ty taste away in our mouths.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Everytime I walk into the Bike Co, they staff is pretty helpful and friendly...that is until they find out I'm not Lopes and then they turn into the ruddest, most arrogant motherf*ckers alive.