Quantcast

Evil Sovereign Availabilty?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, are they ever going to come out? Are they already pre-ordered out? I think my XC/trail HT could possibly stand to be reincarnated...especially in that green that I saw in the Interbike pics. That frame...Fox 36 fork...mmmmmmmmmm....

MD

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yo Mike!

As it stands today, we expect Sovereign frames to be available in late December to early January. We should have more definite details on that later this week or early next week. I will keep you guys posted as soon as we know. Once we have a commitment on delivery for the frames, we will start taking pre-orders for those who want to guarantee that they will get a frame in their color choice. I am with you on the 36 Mike. Had a chance to ride the one on the Silver Sovereign at the show and that fork feels great and looks great too. Its either that or a Nixon for me on a Silver frame. hell yeah! Then I can ride the bike in the park and on the trail, and have my angles/ fork height perfect for both with a switch of a knob. Damn that is cool! Yay to adjustable height fork makers!

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
hey, check out this nifty little tech sheet that we used at Interbike

some decent info in there

Dave

Attachments

Johnny Wadd

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Brooklyn
Dave What about the DOC?
When will they be available and what colors are you offering besides the Red and Black you had at the show?

Thanks

G

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Yo G

Red and black are the 2 colors for the DOC. One of the ways we are able to help keep the cost down on the bikes is by limiting colors. The D.O.C. should be available in the same timeframe. Production bikes are being built now, takes a few weeks to ship. We'll be updating the Evil site like madmen as we get info! :)

Thanks for the interest guys

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
With a 175 crankarm, and a 31.6 410 long post, the Sovereign inseam measurement is 36.8 inches with 90 mm insertion (frame requirement).

I am 5'11" with long legs and that is nut bustingly high for me. So the answer is yes. I am not sure how far your Thomson is in on your Chameleon, but maybe you should try extending it?

One thing, I wan to be clear on here is that the Sovereign is by no means an XC race type hardtail. The frame was designed for dual-duty aggressive use. It is supposed to be a long like heavy duty use trail / street/ skatepark bike. Thats what the geometry, frame layout, and all other aspects were chosen to do. It can be used as a light duty XC type bike, but it really will shine when a rider is jumping it or dropping the 7 footers at speed in the local trail route.

dw

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
dw said:
Yo G

Red and black are the 2 colors for the DOC. One of the ways we are able to help keep the cost down on the bikes is by limiting colors. The D.O.C. should be available in the same timeframe. Production bikes are being built now, takes a few weeks to ship. We'll be updating the Evil site like madmen as we get info! :)

Thanks for the interest guys

Dave
Dave, so I saw above that DOC's are being "pre-ordered" - does this mean by shops, or individuals? I had originally been waiting for the Sovereign, but I think the DOC is more in my price range (I just bought and built a VP Free = broke) - do I call, email, talk to my LBS? I want my Drug Of Choice!

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
dw said:
With a 175 crankarm, and a 31.6 410 long post, the Sovereign inseam measurement is 36.8 inches with 90 mm insertion (frame requirement).

I am 5'11" with long legs and that is nut bustingly high for me. So the answer is yes. I am not sure how far your Thomson is in on your Chameleon, but maybe you should try extending it?

One thing, I wan to be clear on here is that the Sovereign is by no means an XC race type hardtail. The frame was designed for dual-duty aggressive use. It is supposed to be a long like heavy duty use trail / street/ skatepark bike. Thats what the geometry, frame layout, and all other aspects were chosen to do. It can be used as a light duty XC type bike, but it really will shine when a rider is jumping it or dropping the 7 footers at speed in the local trail route.

dw
Sorry if I was unclear, I get full extension on the chameleon but didn't think there is much more, maybe larger diameter posts have lower min insertion?

I fully get the intended use I just like to be comfortable on the way up to that sweet trail with the 7 footers.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Macrider said:
do I call, email, talk to my LBS? I want my Drug Of Choice!
Give the office a call and reserve one!

KaiMana said:
Sorry if I was unclear, I get full extension on the chameleon but didn't think there is much more, maybe larger diameter posts have lower min insertion?

I fully get the intended use I just like to be comfortable on the way up to that sweet trail with the 7 footers.
Actually larger post usually are stronger, especially the Thomson with the oval shaped design.

At 6'2" I can't get full extension on the Sovereign but it gets me high enough to be comfortable trail riding it as a SS. Like DW says, XC is not it's nature, its a better all around bike than anything. When I had the Prototype for awhile I actually had more fun doing DH shuttle runs on it than anything.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you can reserve/pre-order them through Ben @ Unreal. he just takes a credit card number, size, and color you want. won't charge you anything till they come in. that's what he did for me, at least, and i assume everyone else.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Can you let us know what your inseam measurement is? I'm 6'0" and need full extension. I'm so psyched on the Sovereign. I can't wait!

thx
-r

ssaddict said:
At 6'2" I can't get full extension on the Sovereign but it gets me high enough to be comfortable trail riding it as a SS.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
rpet said:
Can you let us know what your inseam measurement is? I'm 6'0" and need full extension. I'm so psyched on the Sovereign. I can't wait!

thx
-r
I wear 32-33 long jeans

Dave

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
I have a 34" inseam.

( I just realize I could be a little off here, I haven't bought pants in over a year. It's still 70deg or something here and still wearing shorts.)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
OK - great.
I'm 6'0" and 33 1/4 inseam. I'm hoping I can get full leg extension with a Thomson...
That frame will be so nice with a Fox 36, I'm thinking.
and a SS setup with some of those new Race Face cranks...

-r

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
rpet said:
OK - great.
I'm 6'0" and 33 1/4 inseam. I'm hoping I can get full leg extension with a Thomson...
That frame will be so nice with a Fox 36, I'm thinking.
and a SS setup with some of those new Race Face cranks...

-r
Thats how we had that bad boy set up at Interbike. The silver looks awesome with that fork too. Sounds sick.

Butch, you know how I roll! Ripped and pegged denim all the way. gotta be pegged :D hahahaa

Dave

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
This seems like a good thread to ask this question. I looked at the geometry of the DOC and a 23 inch top tube seems super long for the intended use of the bike. Am I misunderstanding the term "virtual top tube"? What would make the virtual top tube shorter/longer?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Something I'm also looking at as well. Hopefully the Evil boys can answer it for us.
I'm guessing it's a horizontal measurement to the seatpost, that'd explain the apparent length.
Confirmation of this, and maybe a tech sheet on the DOC like on the Soverign above, would be pretty nice.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dw said:
Yo Mike!

As it stands today, we expect Sovereign frames to be available in late December to early January.
Rats! Doesn't fit my timeframe to buy one just now...but depending on where work takes me in the next year or two, I may find myself with but one or two bikes, in which case one of them will be an all-round capable (35lbish) Evil Sovereign.

MD

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Rik said:
Something I'm also looking at as well. Hopefully the Evil boys can answer it for us.
I'm guessing it's a horizontal measurement to the seatpost, that'd explain the apparent length.
Confirmation of this, and maybe a tech sheet on the DOC like on the Soverign above, would be pretty nice.
Something like this? Transcend's got a bunch more photos on his site from the show too.

www.transcendmagazine.com

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Rik said:
Here you go!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1300205&posted=1#post1300205

Virtual TT measurement is a horizontal measurement to the seapost center from the center point of the top of the head tube. Here's a picture shoeing the measurement. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68338

Thanks guys

Dave

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey DW,

I've done a few searches and checked out the Evil website... Just curious, what colors the Sovereign is going to be available in. I assume they'll be painted, correct (as opposed to powercoat or anodized)? Also, any more information about what kind of dropouts will be available for it? Is the 24" specific dropout intended to allow a 24" wheel with no geometry change? Will there be a thru-axle option?

I've been doing less FR type stuff lately, actually less hard riding in general, and am considering replacing the Imperial with a Sovereign if the finances allow it. Instead of buying purpose specific bikes, having a 6" SC on the Sovereign, maybe a single speed setup for winter, a 24" wheel to slack it out for DH'ing, etc. might be the ticket.

Trying to get into photography a little more, so I mostly need a bike that "gets me there", that is still versatile enough to take on any kind of riding I want to do in the meantime. The Imperial is pretty versatile, but shedding a little weight and a more normal seat tube angle would improve it's epic riding capabilities.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
hahaha

nice work man, thats some crafty thinking there!

We are not 100% sure on colors right now, just becasue we arent 100% positive on the factory's capablity, but we are working on it. Currnetly the plan for the first run is the following:

1) Reflective street sign green with reflective silver metallic solid decals.

2) Sunset metallic silver with very slight color changing purple and pink hues kind of like a sunset with black outline decals

(we showed these 2 at Interbike)

3) Navy blue with cream outline decals

4) Black with gray or white decals

No promises yet, but thats the plan!

For the dropouts, the original plan was to allow 24 or 26" rear with no geometry change, but in reality, not a lot of people want to run 24" rear and 26" front. Most of the people who want to run 24" rear are riding in the skateparks, and will use a 24" front also. Ths means that they would run the stock dropout either way.The production sovereign has dropouts differnt than the Interbike show frames. They are actually more similar in shape to the DOC dropouts. If there is a big contingency of riders who want to run 24rear 26 front, we can still do a run of the adapter dropouts.

Later on!

Dave

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dw said:
4) Black with gray or white decals
Silver! Metallic silver decals, dammit! Gray, if you gotta. :D

<dropout info>
Cool, just curious. Personally, I couldn't see a reason to run a 24" rear except to slack out the geometry a bit, so for me the 24" dropouts wouldn't be useful.

Clipped a bunch of the detail shots you guys had on the Evil webpage and paste them together in a collage of a wallpaper so I can drool over it ... ;)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, DW, was the Sovereign spec sheet you posted drafted around the Nixon fork? I'm guessing so from the 145mm travel spec...

Looking like I might actually be getting one! Are the color specs confirmed?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I just sent an email to John P. asking to reserve a green frame... :D (I don't use smilies very often.)

Hope I'm not too late!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
dw said:
2) Sunset metallic silver with very slight color changing purple and pink hues kind of like a sunset with black outline decals
This color is amazing :drool:
You really cant tell the color changing qualities are there until there is something in the area with enough mass to reflect that color light onto the frame. When I pulled it out of the truck it was dark and sorta overcast outside and the bike seriously looked almost purple. I couldnt figure out why because when I went inside with it and looked closer it was deffinately silver. Then I layed it next to a reddish color couch that is in the office and it had a very slight pinkish hue to it. It was driving me nuts why i couldnt figure out what color it was until I heard the paint was mixed specifally to do this. Its deffinately one of the coolest paint colors I have seen on any bike frame and it is deffinately the color I am going to choose for my Sovereign.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, got an update from John P. the other day...

"We're expecting to have those [Sovereigns] around mid-February, provided there are nomore production snags. Color choices are Green/silver decals;
black/gold decals; blue/cream decals; silver/black decals.

Give me a call if you need anything else."

I actually changed my order to a Long (24" tt) after a lot of deliberation. This is gonna be a bike I use for some long rides, in place of the Mountain Cycle Rumble I'm currently using as a trail/XC bike. (Read: Climbing singletrack and then tearing down it aggressively over techy terrain.)

I use the Rumble (23" tt) with a 100mm stem and a layback post at the moment, and I used to ride a Titus Locomoto with a 23.75" tt (I think...it was somewhere real close to 24") with a 90mm stem and an offset post, and I have long torso/short legs at 5'11".

I figure with the long size, I can run a straight Thomson post and a 70mm stem and still be comfy on trailrides, both on the climbs and the DH sections. I wanted to run a slightly shorter stem than the 100mm, and I didn't want the shorter TT and a layback post because I like to run really short chainstays (figuring I'll run the Evil at 16.25" or so for all-round riding), and didn't want to be too far over the rear of the bike when I was seated.

Any thoughts? I know 24" tts probably seem absurd to most of you, but I just tend to like long, low bikes with short rear ends, so I think this should be perfect. I'll be running a TALAS fork up front, too, btw, which gives great adjustability on the trail...

I'm thinking once I have this bike and it's dialed, I can sell off the trailbike and my Nicolai BMXtb--which I love to death, but is a tad too short in the TT for all-round riding...I've suffered with it up many, many climbs, but in the end, I don't want a bike that's going to be a horror to climb. I've been getting away from shuttling recently, and I have my Turner RFX as well...

So, yeah, can't wait for February...

MD

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm with you man. Waiting on a Long in Blue w/Cream. 6' even with 33" inseam.

It will be my primary bike for riding trails and everything else... I can't wait. At least the delays are giving me a chance to make a smart decision on which fork to buy for it.

-rob in NY

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
rpet said:
At least the delays are giving me a chance to make a smart decision on which fork to buy for it.
Well, I'm in love with my TALAS after 2 weeks or so...we'll see how it holds up. The 36 should be an awesome fork, too, but I'm going to wait and let someone else do R&D on it for a year before blowing a grand on it...

Best of luck in your wait. I'm still trying to justify the purchase, seeing as how I'm having an incredible amount of fun on my Mountain Cycle in the meantime. Long self-powered rides rule.

MD

Edit: I have a 32" inseam, so it seems we have identical torso lengths, unless you're a giraffe... :p Thanks for the info; I feel wierd buying such a long bike, but it's just b/c of the numbers. I just measured my MC, and it really reassured me...the overall length will end up being the same, but it'll have a shorter stem for it, and a more neutral body position.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
So, yeah, can't wait for February...

MD
....right there with ya MD! Long Black & Gold coming my way (referred to as "Smokey & the Bandit" :sneaky: )

I am wishing 'Zocchi had a 20mm bomber w/ travel adjustments tho.....04 Z1 will be good for a start :p

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jncarpenter said:
I am wishing 'Zocchi had a 20mm bomber w/ travel adjustments tho.....04 Z1 will be good for a start :p
Doesn't that fork have ECC or ETA, at least? BMXman's 05 Z1, the first Zocchi I've ridden in about 2 years, feels great in the shorter setting...not like the old lock-down forks. Given, it's only an inch lower, but it's nice.

What about the marzo all-mtn forks? The puke-yellow one would go nice with your decals. (and the air SL version looks cool, too). JM seems to think the chassis is stiff enough without a 20mm axle...

I'm sticking with the Fox, myself. My real debate is the wheels. I have a set of Mavic's XC UST rims (X3.1 or whatever they were called last year) on Hope hubs that I'm currently XCing on. I have another set of Hope/521 that I could swap out as DH wheels if I needed...but I could build them up with some new UST 823 rims, too. Boy, choices suck! :D

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
BMXman's 05 Z1, the first Zocchi I've ridden in about 2 years, feels great in the shorter setting...not like the old lock-down forks. Given, it's only an inch lower, but it's nice.
...which 05 does he have? It would be nice to have a 100mm-ish configuration for those long xc type rides & 130mm for everything else.

I was patiently awaiting the Sovereign's arrival.....& then I saw that big pic in the new Flow mag :drool: .......got the jones' all over again :D