Quantcast

Evil Sovereign Availabilty?

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I'm waiting on a silver/black long here (I'm 6'3") and decided to go with the manitou nixon elite 20mm as I got a smoking deal on one. Unfortuneately it was recalled shortly thereafter :rolleyes: I still can't get over what a bonehead mistake Manitou made on that one but I'm hoping the 110mm - 140mm travel adjust would be just the thing for street/trail/bike park riding. Let us pray for no more delays brethren.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jncarpenter said:
...which 05 does he have? It would be nice to have a 100mm-ish configuration for those long xc type rides & 130mm for everything else.

I was patiently awaiting the Sovereign's arrival.....& then I saw that big pic in the new Flow mag :drool: .......got the jones' all over again :D
Although I can find no mention of it on Marzo's website, he says it's a 5" fork with a travel adjust to 4". I don't know if it's a sponsored-rider-special, if the Z1 is internally adjustable to 5" like the 66 RC (also HSCV) is, or what...he says he just asked for a 5" fork and got one. Or he got a 6" fork and is just plain wrong...

I missed the Flow mag, but I keep looking at Transcend's IB gallery where there's a nice shot of the green one. I had no idea longs were going to be so popular...I thought I was the only freaak who wanted a slightly stretched TT...

MD

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
Although I can find no mention of it on Marzo's website, he says it's a 5" fork with a travel adjust to 4". I don't know if it's a sponsored-rider-special, if the Z1 is internally adjustable to 5" like the 66 RC (also HSCV) is, or what...he says he just asked for a 5" fork and got one. Or he got a 6" fork and is just plain wrong...

I missed the Flow mag, but I keep looking at Transcend's IB gallery where there's a nice shot of the green one. I had no idea longs were going to be so popular...I thought I was the only freaak who wanted a slightly stretched TT...

MD
...'Zocchi told me that the superior damped Z1's could not have the travel altered (bummer)....only available 150mm aftermarket. If he has a 130mm (adjustable) Z1 with the better cartridges (888 style) & 20mm...he is absolutely lucky!!! That is exactly what I want! :mumble: :devil:

...the long is not so long from a xc application & I have a suspicion that the short stays (adjustable) will more than compensate for any extra TT length...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jncarpenter said:
...'Zocchi told me that the superior damped Z1's could not have the travel altered (bummer)....only available 150mm aftermarket. If he has a 130mm (adjustable) Z1 with the better cartridges (888 style) & 20mm...he is absolutely lucky!!! That is exactly what I want! :mumble: :devil:

...the long is not so long from a xc application & I have a suspicion that the short stays (adjustable) will more than compensate for any extra TT length...
Send him a PM and see what he says; I doubt he'll see this thread.

I'm right there with ya on the geometry issue; I love the compact feel of my current Mountain Cycle, but would like to get rid of the layback post on such a short-stayed bike, and cut down from a l00mm stem...

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
... and cut down from a l00mm stem...
...yeah, I'm planning to run a 50-70mm thomson, depending on which feels better. i typically like the long TT-->short stem approach.

On another issue, I have been thinking of putting a King Steelset in the Sovereign. Anyone think this is overkill (frame will see several applications)? What about the steel on steel issue.....will this be a potential corrosion problem?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I put a steelset in my Cortina 4130. Sure was stout, but that's the only headset that's ever gonna be in there, I think.

I think the 'superalloy' whatever it is steel HT will be fine with a standard King, but if you want a deep-cup headset (certainly not a BAD idea...) there are some new aluminum options I'd use first. I think FSA and Raceface are both doing quality cart. bearing deeper cup HSs now.

MD

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'll be running a 70mm thomson and a thomson straight post too. Probably wih a 1" rise Monkeybar, as I'm sick and tired of too-tall front ends.
CK headset here.
I wouldn't run a Steelset - seems like overkill to me - though maybe you will be going very very large? a Pig Pro would probably be sufficient, IMHO.
i'm guessing that a good-quality anti-sieze should take care of any steel on steel issues on the Steelset.

-rob in NY

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My shop is nowing saying Mid-March on the Sovereigns.
I have a biking trip to AZ/UT in Mid-March. Now I'm thinking of getting a different frame, but I can't think of a similar HT in weight and versatility for a trail bike.

;(

-rob in NY

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Transcend said:
A little birdie told me the DOCs start to arrive on US shores today...
my email box said:
Hello MikeD,

Transcend has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Evil Sovereign Availabilty? - in the Downhill forum of Ridemonkey.com - mountain biking community.

This thread is located at:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100215&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
A little birdie told me the sovereigns start to arrive on US shores today...
You goddamned ****ing idiotic quick-on-the-edit Canuck...that hurt.

You got me all excited, until I realized Sovereigns are US-made. I was thinking , "geez, are these made by DeVinci too??"

MD

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MikeD said:
You goddamned ****ing idiotic quick-on-the-edit Canuck...that hurt.

You got me all excited, until I realized Sovereigns are US-made. I was thinking , "geez, are these made by DeVinci too??"

MD
sorry, i had sovereigns on the brain.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
MikeD said:
You're not the only one...
...tell me about it! The hair on my arms stands up in anticipation every time this thread makes its way back to the top again :love:

.......I suppose I could search, but who ended up doing the fabrication for the sovereigns?

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
jncarpenter said:
...tell me about it! The hair on my arms stands up in anticipation every time this thread makes its way back to the top again :love:

.......I suppose I could search, but who ended up doing the fabrication for the sovereigns?
read somebody small in Cali that is doing nothing but Evil frames I think?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Macrider said:
read somebody small in Cali that is doing nothing but Evil frames I think?

Clarification.... sort of.....

Sovereign - Due mid march. Sorry folks. We are not happy about it either. These should have been ready months ago.

Sovereign - NOT MADE in Cali. They are being fabricated in the USA.

D.O.C. - Shipping to bike shops by Friday. We are using the wait list and calling the folks who called us first. Once we have contacted all persons and shops on the wait list we will then accept new orders.... if we have any left.....

Thank you for your patience.

Michael

Evil Bikes / e.thirteen components

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ouch. That kinda stings. I may not be able to wait that long...

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
swiss said:
Clarification.... sort of.....

Sovereign - Due mid march. Sorry folks. We are not happy about it either. These should have been ready months ago.

Sovereign - NOT MADE in Cali. They are being fabricated in the USA.

D.O.C. - Shipping to bike shops by Friday. We are using the wait list and calling the folks who called us first. Once we have contacted all persons and shops on the wait list we will then accept new orders.... if we have any left.....

Thank you for your patience.

Michael

sorry to be spreading rumors - I thought I read that in one of DW's posts...

I'm waiting by the phone for the call on my DOC!!! :thumb:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Macrider said:
sorry to be spreading rumors - I thought I read that in one of DW's posts...
No worries man. Its not like it is false information. Originally they were going to be made in Cali and that was posted online at a couple of different locations. They are still going to be made in the USA, just not at that location.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
heikkihall said:
No worries man. Its not like it is false information. Originally they were going to be made in Cali and that was posted online at a couple of different locations. They are still going to be made in the USA, just not at that location.
That would explain why I thought that - damn old threads never die!

I am so stoked on my DOC (sorry Sovereign anticipators)...

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
MikeD said:
Ouch. That kinda stings. I may not be able to wait that long...
Tell me about it.

Believe me, we want to ship these out a lot worse than you customers want to buy them. It's just that we had some big probs with the original manufacturing plan, and we had to drop about 5 months worth of work and start from scratch again this fall. We paid for these VERY expensive tubesets back in May, so trust me when I say that we're extremely anxious to ship these babies.

For what it's worth, having ridden protos for over a year now, they are well worth the wait. I normally dislike hardtails, but the geometry, tubeset, and overall ride characteristics of this bike make it really, really sweet.

--JP

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
John P. said:
...For what it's worth, having ridden protos for over a year now, they are well worth the wait. I normally dislike hardtails, but the geometry, tubeset, and overall ride characteristics of this bike make it really, really sweet.

--JP

......aaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh!!! STOP! Do you want my brain to explode? :nope: ;) :heart:

Shiver

Chimp
Jan 12, 2005
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Sweet bike I seriously love it!

But what's the main difference between the D.O.C and the Sovereign?

Sovereign costs like 750-800$ and D.O.C costs like 400$ why?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Shiver said:
Sweet bike I seriously love it!

There's a geometry difference in the frames, first off...but the DOC is made offshore of less-expensive tubing; the Sovereign is US-made with Reynolds tubes. Most bikes with Reynolds 853 actually cost at least the same as, if not a LOT more than, the Sovereign...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
us made? since when were reynolds steel tubes made in the states? It's been UK only production since the turn of the last century.

but then again there's that composites arm of the company based in the us that started up not so long ago, so things may have changed, but i'm still fairly certain that the tubes are all drawn and butted on 'the ile'.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
whoops, i think i misread your post. in any case i'll leave the above post in place in case anyone gets silly ideas about the source of reynolds tubing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
CreeP said:
whoops, i think i misread your post. in any case i'll leave the above post in place in case anyone gets silly ideas about the source of reynolds tubing.
When people indicate bikes are "Made in <country>", I don't think the country that the tubes are drawn in are usually included in that. Just where they're welded, machined, painted, stickered, etc.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
CreeP said:
Hey, they called it the "Sovereign..." That's at least a nod to its monarchical heritage.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Shiver said:

Seriously? Betwen the Evil website and a simple search here you still have to ask?

L
A
Z
Y
:nuts:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I know nothing, but I know this. The Sovereign is hand made in the USA from Reynolds tubing shipped over from the UK. Very nice tubing.
They are being built now.
I know nothing.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
TWISTED said:
I know nothing, but I know this. The Sovereign is hand made in the USA from Reynolds tubing shipped over from the UK. Very nice tubing.
They are being built now.
I know nothing.

Suuuuure. Made by the same hands and tools that make the Sunday, eh?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
CreeP said:
us made? since when were reynolds steel tubes made in the states? It's been UK only production since the turn of the last century.

but then again there's that composites arm of the company based in the us that started up not so long ago, so things may have changed, but i'm still fairly certain that the tubes are all drawn and butted on 'the ile'.
Samantics...

I apolgoize. The Sovereign frames are cut, welding, prepped, painted, buffed, shinned, boxed and shipped ,etc. in the USA. The tubeset is indeed from Reynolds out of the UK. :)

As for the composities - Remember LEW? Yep, Reynolds bought them and improved em. I talked to the guys at Reynolds right after it happened at Interbike in 2002. I was like 'errr... these wheels look like LEW wheels'.....
the rep responded "We bought LEW Composites.." and the rest is history.

Michael

Smiftie

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
swiss said:
Samantics...

I apolgoize. The Sovereign frames are cut, welding, prepped, painted, buffed, shinned, boxed and shipped ,etc. in the USA. The tubeset is indeed from Reynolds out of the UK. :)

As for the composities - Remember LEW? Yep, Reynolds bought them and improved em. I talked to the guys at Reynolds right after it happened at Interbike in 2002. I was like 'errr... these wheels look like LEW wheels'.....
the rep responded "We bought LEW Composites.." and the rest is history.

Michael

It's still being made by the Nemsis Project, right?
I remember reading that on the pink bike review for them.