Quantcast

evil update

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sure, a startup that doesn't even have a bike on the market yet will have the $ to not only develop their product line and IP, but also pay part of a 6 figure race salary.

This would be especially peculiar when you consider the fact that they can get a few other top 20 athletes for a 4 figure salary + bikes.

Keep dreaming.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Sure, a startup that doesn't even have a bike on the market yet will have the $ to not only develop their product line and IP, but also pay part of a 6 figure race salary.

This would be especially peculiar when you consider the fact that they can get a few other top 20 athletes for a 4 figure salary + bikes.

Keep dreaming.
What i heard Evil talked to the Monster Team about a future cooperation, i am not sure if the talked to sam directly though and it is very obvious that he will not be on an Evil next year.But maybe we will see a well known young gun on the revolt next season.

They say that they want to put some money into the WC and form a brand that is committed to dh racing- which is great!

S

seespotendo

haha. their team name would be... Evil Monster Team.
best name EVER! haha

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Now if they'd do something more than just give crap interviews, make stickers, tee-shirts and poorly done renderings (and only one at that) that look like they were cut out with a kid in MS paint.

If a bike company can't produce a good few renderings on a nice site to look at, then I doubt very much their hope of having a commercially viable business in this age.

At least turner gave out some nice renderings and suspension info before release.

All we get from Evil is OMFG it's got a suspension system designed by DW:banana:

Maybe I'm just antsi because I want to see the damn thing.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Now if they'd do something more than just give crap interviews, make stickers, tee-shirts and poorly done renderings (and only one at that) that look like they were cut out with a kid in MS paint.

If a bike company can't produce a good few renderings on a nice site to look at, then I doubt very much their hope of having a commercially viable business in this age.
Not sure how this makes them much different from a lot of other small builders out there. I've never been a fan of Sinister, but they got the job done for years with a whole lot less

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Not sure how this makes them much different from a lot of other small builders out there. I've never been a fan of Sinister, but they got the job done for years with a whole lot less
Yes but Sinister is hardly the global racing phenomenon that the Evil guys state is their goal in the vid. Sinister IMO also make disgustingly ugly poorly designed bikes that are welded nicely.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
tee-shirts and poorly done renderings (and only one at that) that look like they were cut out with a kid in MS paint.
Dude, the t-shirt was original art by Jeremy Fish (look his name up on google if you have never heard of him) http://www.sillypinkbunnies.com/#

AND, the renderings of the Revolt that Evil showed were done by one of the best at this type of thing that I have ever met. I think that he worked for Dreamworks? They showed you exactly what they wanted of the bike and nothing more.

If you looked at some of the info that they have put out, you'd know that Evil has no plans of getting overly technical with their explanation of the bikes. It's just not their thing. Some people like that, some people might not. That's what makes choice so nice, you don't HAVE to like it.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Dude, the t-shirt was original art by Jeremy Fish (look his name up on google if you have never heard of him) http://www.sillypinkbunnies.com/#

AND, the renderings of the Revolt that Evil showed were done by one of the best at this type of thing that I have ever met. I think that he worked for Dreamworks? They showed you exactly what they wanted of the bike and nothing more.

If you looked at some of the info that they have put out, you'd know that Evil has no plans of getting overly technical with their explanation of the bikes. It's just not their thing. Some people like that, some people might not. That's what makes choice so nice, you don't HAVE to like it.

Haha the key word there is "worked" as in past tense. I'm just picking here, but a much nicer job could have been done in Flamingo. By shabby I mean the rough outline around the rendering.

If a bike company has some in depth tech info, those that understand it can read it and those that don't can skip right though to the pics of T.V. sending it. That's where you have the choice.

I'm not really having much of a go at Evil, but to me at least, a nice website is an easy to construct item that is a key marketing ingredient and Evil is going to need plenty of marketing if they are staying away from the technical aspect and wish to gain a good market share.

Really the bike sounds like a good concept (fully adjustable geo and configurations) and thanks to your work, should ride nicely. I'm just glad your the one doing the FEA and not the blokes in that interview.

Last edited:

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
So...
Honestly...
Hotelroom, Ball-hats, stickers everywere, Vanderham looking like, well...
Renders that CAN actually be done a lot better than that, etc...

I can imagine it might feel at least 'unprofessional' to some...

Whatever, I'm loving every part of what you guys are dooing, keep it up !

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
it's bike company 2.0 - create & develop a brand first, then assemble a team of experts in their respective fields to implement the physical model. be interesting to see how the company develops, and how effective the branding is.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Some people are lover, some are haters. It is human nature and something I learned years ago at the first go-around of a brand I did. The good thing about bikes are that there are so many choices of brands to fit your individual personality and needs. Nothing is really forced down your throat.

We get pumped on the positive feedback from folks but certainly ruminate and chew on some of the criticisms. However, I don't let it get to me like I used to and also realize that a lot of peoples' "hate" is just misdirected passion.

In the current political climate, civil discourse has seemingly been abandoned in favor of barbed attacks and sharp tongued criticisms from both sides. Over the past months this has bled over into the bike world and seemingly everything is black/white, good/bad, Dem/Repub...it's really sad to see this go down honestly. We're focused on steering our ship and staying above the fray.

We might have a lot to prove but, we're also a group of guys who have proven ourselves before. Those privy to our goals and plans know everything is cleanly calculated and we're doing thing the style we feel is appropriate to our brand and our personalities. It's all one grand conspiracy ;)

Bottom line, we're having fun and we want others to have fun too.

-ska todd

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jeez, only a total rendering geek would criticize the quality of that rendering. It takes a total bike geek to criticize the fact that is doesn't really show what's going on...like me...come on guys, spill it!!

:)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not sure which was a better (more effective?) teaser, the new Evil or the new Superco....

either way... I'm excited to see what comes out of Evil.

Todd, you looked a little nervous in the interview. Camera shy much?

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I saw the Evil Interbike event as a way to present a company in a different way than the competition and getting noticed that way - really what marketing is all about. To me it looks like it worked really well.

When I watched the Dirt video I kept thinking is this the style planned or just what happened. I know when I am interview I always have an agenda no matter how much it seems like I just answer the questions from the journalist.

Its always much easier to complain and point out things that can be done better but when you run a start up its a constant compromise between time and money. I do however think Todd sucks until he let me get my hands on one of the cool new Evil merchandise :)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
However, I don't let it get to me like I used to and also realize that a lot of peoples' "hate" is just misdirected passion.

-ska todd
Preach on!

I for one am beyond stoked for this. Its no coincidence that some of the best in the industry have gotten together and are trying to do something different, and now people dont know what to make of it, and are so quick to criticize. Stirring up the pot is always good, especially when it seems like things are on the up for cycling as a whole.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I've yet to see the usual drivel from Evil about how thier bike is going to be the best ever, and how its not only the best suspension ever, it'll also make you more successful with the chicks. (although I haven't looked for it either). All they seem to have said is "we have a bike coming out, its gonna be fun to ride, and DW did the suspension so it ought to be pretty decent."

So, whats to hate? I'm just curious to see what they have.

Best of luck boys, hope it works out.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I mirror Jeff's words. I'm looking forward to seeing a bike from an obviously passionate-about-bikes crew.

I had actually heard that Hill is a part of Evil? He may not be riding them, but is this true?

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i watched the video and couldn't help but think, "i wish i was working for evil...i bet it's a great atmosphere to be a part of."

you guys got any more job openings for another "jack of all trades, master of none"?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Todd, you looked a little nervous in the interview. Camera shy much?
It's weird, during the interview I didn't feel nervous at all but I looked it in that vid. I generally do a few of those type of interviews at every tradeshow and that was the first one where that happened. It must have been several days of Vegas dry air fueled by massive amounts of coffee! :twitch:

-ska todd

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
hey man....gotta start somewhere.....evil/e.13 started with a flaming skull sticker and a hanes beefy tee from some random punks in boston......i still have a tee shirt somewhere i think.....

but just look how far e.13 has come since then......
I remember the first time they showed up at Platty as a company and a team. I'm excited to see the new version of this company grow. Best of luck guys. Build an AM hardtail. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Best of luck to Todd and the evil crew!

In an industry that breeds lemming, it is refreshing to see a progressive minded company with a fresh outlook.

GO EVIL!

Bike industry: Too many clowns, not enough circuses.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
It's weird, during the interview I didn't feel nervous at all but I looked it in that vid. I generally do a few of those type of interviews at every tradeshow and that was the first one where that happened. It must have been several days of Vegas dry air fueled by massive amounts of coffee! :twitch:

-ska todd
I take it you are no longer w/ the "Big Red S"? Helped bring Sam over then hit the road?

Good luck to you bro, you seemed like a cool cat. I hope Evil can pay the bills....

By the way, stickers are the most important component of any bike company. Just ask any 10 year old.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
hey man....gotta start somewhere.....evil/e.13 started with a flaming skull sticker and a hanes beefy tee from some random punks in boston......i still have a tee shirt somewhere i think.....

but just look how far e.13 has come since then......

Sure you do......I love My sovereign and e.13 changed the whole chainguide game, but all that video showed me was a dude hung over in bed, a table of stickers and two marketing guys with some bike renderings.

Even at Interbike companies that will never be in the game show prototypes of products that will never be manufactured. I wish them all the best, but in this hype driven industry I'll hang my hat on tangible, proven products.

I'm not hating at all, I'm just not fanboying like so many here do.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I take it you are no longer w/ the "Big Red S"?
I was curious about this, too. Likewise, did Gabe have to leave Cove? If you haven't had to, that's cool that your boss(es) are being so understanding, and even cooler that you guys were able to work it out amongst yourselves legally.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Gaber and I are now fulltime Evil. It's super fun and a dream to work with some of your best bros who also happen to be some of the most talented folks in this lil industry.

-ska todd

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Gaber and I are now fulltime Evil. It's super fun and a dream to work with some of your best bros who also happen to be some of the most talented folks in this lil industry.

-ska todd
Sounds like Evil is going to be legit! And i really like the idea of a simple single-pivot with lots of adjustability. Where do i get in line?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ska todd, you were all shifty-eyed in the video. I couldn't tell if you were doing it on purpose or what :)

Looking forward to what evil brings.

Here's to wishing for a better site... this all-flash one is clunky (unlike yeti's which is awesome). Wishing for a more free-flowing experience...

Speaking of the brand, the yellow & black isn't really working & kinda feels cheap imo.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Sure you do......I love My sovereign and e.13 changed the whole chainguide game, but all that video showed me was a dude hung over in bed, a table of stickers and two marketing guys with some bike renderings.

Even at Interbike companies that will never be in the game show prototypes of products that will never be manufactured. I wish them all the best, but in this hype driven industry I'll hang my hat on tangible, proven products.

I'm not hating at all, I'm just not fanboying like so many here do.
Given the people who are involved in this project, and their prior accomplishments and reputation within the industry, i think a bit of confidence in Evil goes beyond simple fanboying. This ain't their first rodeo.