Quantcast

EVS R4 neckbrace, decent?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
looking to get a neck brace for a while now but have been on the fence about getting one.

2-3yrs ago, a friend of mine went dirtbiking w/ myself and a few others and was wearing a leatt neckbrace...first lap, he gets bucked off a strange kicker in a face of the jump and went OTB. landed head first, and was paralyzed from the arms down.

strangely enough, where he broke his back, was EXACTLY where the back piece of the brace slopes down your back. i don't know the technical name of that part..nor do i know if it's purely coincidental that it broke in the same location, or if the neck brace was the cause of it. but since then i've avoided neck braces for this reason.

i Would like to own one though for my own safety reasons, and now that the EVS R4 is out, it seems like its my most logical choice... something to just help stop the range of motion, w/o the bells and whistles. for $100, it's cheap to boot..though money over saftey isnt what im shooting after.

am i just barking up the wrong tree wasting my money, or should i swoop the R4? like i said, i've been turned off neck braces due to the incident above...however rare the case, but i would like some neck protection.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
I too am interested and while I don't have any real info to provide. I wanted to add a few points that peeked my interest

less possible contact with shoulders
-i know the leatts shouldn't but this one seems to be even further from the shoulders which on a lot of riders (myself included) can be very sensitive spots

the relatively low profile design
-when i have raced in leatts i found they are bulky enough to push your helmet around on your head making you bend your neck oddly to see and maintain a comfortable postion

Now my reservations

the price
-not saying i want to spend a lot but this is not something where i want to buy the cheapest one for that reason if it works at the price good if there are any major sacrifices made for pricing it might not present the best solution in my mind

Mountain bike helmet fitment
-EVS is dirtbike want to be sure my D3 will integrate properly.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Bump.

Was just in BIKE in the Fresh Produce section. So, maybe a review will end up on here? I'd definitely like to hear more about it.
Have to tell you, ending up not being able to use my legs is my biggest fear about DHing. Outside of having a family to support as well.

I've been eyeing the Leatt DBX Comp 3 but having a more affordable option wouldn't hurt. I'd be more likely to purchase it sooner.
Though, as the OP said, "..though money over saftey isnt what im shooting after."

Plus, the EVS R4 looks to be pretty comfortable. Although the range of motion to the front/chest looks to be a lot in the vid on the EVS site and on some vids that I viewed on YouTube.

Outside of that, I wish that it was a bike company marketing it rather than a moto crossover... not a huge deal really.... and that it came in another color (black) than white... (The 15.00 graphics kits that EVS offers look stupid to me)

Read some negative stuff about some of EVS' other offerings but wanted to see if anyone had time on the R4 model since this thread started?

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Looks good. Price is very, good. However, "dig freedom of movement" is not necessary expected feature in such product. It has to restrict some movements in certain directions.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm surprised there aren't more replies on this thread with how many people have become Leatt happy. I'm still kinda on the fence with these neck protectors. I have a pediatrician buddy that talked me out of getting anything like the Leatt, Alpinestars, EVS, etc. I think i'm just going to wait another year or two to see if there are more studies and more proof that they actually work. All of the info these days comes from the biggest manufacturer right now. Of course all of their info is going to be positive because they're tryin to sell their product.

My buddy said that if i had to get something that looked like a toilet seat to protect my neck, he recommended the omega brace because he said it won't actually promote other injuries while protecting another.

I bought a cheap neck pillow made by EVS. Better than nothing, but i don't like riding with it as it restricts my movement. I ride really low and can't crank my head up enough to look far forward. I'm glad i didn't spend the money on something bigger and bulkier. But, to each his own.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Correct me, if I am wrong... isn't pediatrician a baby doctor? Maybe you should have talked to orthopedist, surgeon or neurologist? And not one, but 5 or 10?
I don't say LB, A* or EVS is the best you can get and protects you from neck injuries and chicken pox ;> but, I am pretty sure, that the fact, this technology has been proven in motorsports (rally cars, F1, etc) means it works.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ok, I forgot to say that my pediatrician buddy used to race pro DH here, he races pro BMX, has two children that are nationally ranked BMX racers, and he's also the Utah team doctor. I took his opinion because he researched it more than I did and he's more educated than the majority of people out there. His opinion isn't just that of a pediatrician. It's the opinion of a good friend, a doctor, and an avid racer.
I think the roll bars, seats, and helmets have more to do with protection in a car than the neck braces do. Most of the time those guys aren't goin to face plant into anything.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Looking to pull the trigger soon. As strangely enough, hurt my back doing stuff around the house. Haven't been on the bike in a couple of weeks at this point as a result. Made me think about this even more.
Any more information on the EVS R4? With the close relationship with BIKE on here now. Hoped that my earlier comment about it being in BIKE might have spurned some more comments about it from RM or maybe a little better write up/review.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Bump for more reviews. Looks interesting, but I'm hesitant to buy a product that could cause more injuries. I understand that the leatt thoracic brace keeps your spine from over bending. The stories about people's backs breaking at the bottom of the thoracic brace is scary, but it sounds like the leatt still did its job, technically.
One red flag for me is evs' video where they show the compression forces that the brace is designed for (think sliding into a tree with the top of your head). It looks like it could protect against compression, but flexing forces seem like they would dump the load higher on you spine than a leatt, which my understanding is that higher usually means more potential for serious permanent damage.

Even if the thoracic member went all the way down the spine, where do the forces go then? Even more forceful face plants/ scorpion grinds? Meh...

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Even if the thoracic member went all the way down the spine, where do the forces go then? Even more forceful face plants/ scorpion grinds? Meh...
You may be right.
I have had two recent over-the-bars faceplants with a Leatt and a Nukeproof protector jacket, and both times I've got really sore lower back (much lower than where the thoracic strut ends). I think it may be caused by the stiff upper torso causing more violent leg movement in the crash. No flex in the neck/upper back = the legs swing more over the back, I suppose.
I'm still glad I wore the Leatt, even if neither of the crashes were bad enough to cause spine damage without the Leatt, I walked away with no neck pain (but a lower back pain).

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Sore legs or lower back seem a small price to pay to avoid a broken neck- its just hard to say what would truly cause a neck injury, and what is your body naturally capable of absorbing without injury?

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Broke C1 while wearing a Leatt, compression fracture after my helmet and the leatt failed. I also fractured T2 & T6 in the crash as well.

My neurosurgeon said the Leatt brace saved my life.

I will never ride without one and I recommend everyone wear one.

Here is the LINK to my story.

And a pic of me recovered and racing this last weekend:

Last edited:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
You may be right.
I have had two recent over-the-bars faceplants with a Leatt and a Nukeproof protector jacket, and both times I've got really sore lower back (much lower than where the thoracic strut ends). I think it may be caused by the stiff upper torso causing more violent leg movement in the crash. No flex in the neck/upper back = the legs swing more over the back, I suppose.
I'm still glad I wore the Leatt, even if neither of the crashes were bad enough to cause spine damage without the Leatt, I walked away with no neck pain (but a lower back pain).
I've done a similar crash with no protection but a full face and got compression fractures in two of my lower vertebrae. Pain level was less than a dislocated shoulder, I'd say. Luckily, recovery amounted to a small a mount of rest, three weeks off the bike, and some (poorly done) PT.