The E-word thread. EWS

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I was suprised they didn't mention that fact in the NSMB article. Seems more significant that Hill beat Rude, not that a local beat them on home terrain...
Has Hill raced WC DH this season? I don't recall him on any of the qualies or timed training and he's one of my favorites!
Yeah, Sam was at Cairns and Lourdes, but just off pace compared to the top dogs. That said, a 2nd place at an EWS event is stunning IMO. I know it will elicit the typical "washed up DHer" comments, but thats impressive regardless. Also sounds like Rude may have pulled off another W if he didnt have a mechanical earlier, which of course is part and parcel with bike-cycle racing.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Go Sammy.

Rude is in a class of his own and got beat by a flat. He 1'd 5 of 7 stages and w/o that flat, the other 2 podium spots would have been minutes out, not seconds.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Go Sammy.

Rude is in a class of his own and got beat by a flat. He 1'd 5 of 7 stages and w/o that flat, the other 2 podium spots would have been minutes out, not seconds.
Both Hill and Rude impressive IMO! Kinda makes me want to see Rude back on a DH bike tho...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Has anybody been called a legend yet in this thread? Can't have an MTB thread without a legend being gutted to get a puncture from having an off but still be stoked anyway.

Seeing Rude back on a DH bike would be cool, but not as cool as seeing Graves back on a bike untainted by the Specialized curse.

Edit: What's up with the penalties in EWS? Saw that Maes got 5 minutes for a wheel change and wound up being bumped from a top 10 to 150th or something. I understand not wanting people ridding pinned throw away wheels, but if the penalty is that steep, it's not like you even salvage points by continuing. Either lighten that up significantly, or no swaps period, destroy the wheel, go home. 30-45 seconds would be enough to stop people using throw away parts, but no so much that a single bad stage to ruin a guy's tittle chances completely.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Both Hill and Rude impressive IMO! Kinda makes me want to see Rude back on a DH bike tho...
Sam's accomplishment is impressive (and cliche (DHer goes Enduro)) but still unexpected . Rude? definitely, hes a monster. I went back and looked at the times and if that 70th has been as close as say 20th he would have 19s up on 2nd overall. (If he won that stage like 5 others, that was worth 31a). 2010 him airing the toyota rock garden at the US open - Im pretty sure the bulk of the crowds heads exploded in unison.

He sometimes puts a 40 on an SB6c.

Flats suck, but thats life.

EDIT

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Edit: What's up with the penalties in EWS? Saw that Maes got 5 minutes for a wheel change and wound up being bumped from a top 10 to 150th or something. I understand not wanting people ridding pinned throw away wheels, but if the penalty is that steep, it's not like you even salvage points by continuing. Either lighten that up significantly, or no swaps period, destroy the wheel, go home. 30-45 seconds would be enough to stop people using throw away parts, but no so much that a single bad stage to ruin a guy's tittle chances completely.
I accidently looked at some of the race coverage from the last one down in south America and saw a picture of anneke beertent lounging in a chair while her mechanic worked on her bike with a caption about being between stages. Apparently the spirit of enduro is a wishy washy little thing.

But all this again points to a growing, sneaky suspicion that's been welling up in the back of my mind: enduro is silly

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sam's accomplishment is impressive (and cliche (DHer goes Enduro)) but still unexpected . Rude? definitely, hes a monster. I went back and looked at the times and if that 70th has been as close as say 20th he would have 19minutes up on 2nd overall. (If he won that stage like 5 others, that was worth 31mins). 2010 him airing the toyota rock garden at the US open - Im pretty sure the bulk of the crowds heads exploded in unison.

He sometimes puts a 40 on an SB6c.

Flats suck, but thats life.
Rude is for sure the bad ass that you are stating he is, but those results are in seconds, not minutes. The total race time for the top 3 were all in the 25 minute range for all 7 stages added together. But yeah, he still won 5 out of the 7 stages and would have cleaned house if not for that flat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rude is for sure the bad ass that you are stating he is, but those results are in seconds, not minutes. The total race time for the top 3 were all in the 25 minute range for all 7 stages added together. But yeah, he still won 5 out of the 7 stages and would have cleaned house if not for that flat.
results after the first day didn't even have him in the top 30. the fact that he hammered it out to a 3rd place finish is damn impressive.

anyone have a link to the updated overall standings?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I accidently looked at some of the race coverage from the last one down in south America and saw a picture of anneke beertent lounging in a chair while her mechanic worked on her bike with a caption about being between stages. Apparently the spirit of enduro is a wishy washy little thing.

But all this again points to a growing, sneaky suspicion that's been welling up in the back of my mind: enduro is silly

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Laughing at self. 5hr stages, that would definitely be endurance racing hmm...

Thanks for not hitting me on the head with that!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
You can think what you want about enduro, but atleast they have more then six stops per year. Also it actually is a real "world tour".

2017 calendar:
#1 – March 25/26 – Rotorua, New Zealand
#2 – April 8/9 – Tasmania, Australia
#3 – May 13/14 – Madeira, Portugal
#4 – May 28 – Co Wicklow, Ireland
#5 – July 1/2 – Millau, France
#6 – July 29/30 – Aspen-Snowmass, USA
#7 – August 13 – Whistler, Canada
#8 – September 30/October 1 – Finale Ligure, Italy
Congrats to Rudeboy. What an animal. Still not sure if he is doing wrestling or bodybuilding in the offseason. To see that tank riding that fast is really something else. Have you seen him taking over Oton on the midstage climb? Raw power.
http://www.endurotribe.com/2016/07/ews-thuile-2016-richie-rude-ecrase-premier-jour-de-course/
(Just watch the last 30 seconds)

And Hill in 2nd. Bloody awesome. I still hope he gets back in the top ten of the DH cirquit. It's not the same without him.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I still hope he gets back in the top ten of the DH cirquit. It's not the same without him.
I do too but with sadness it's looking less and less likely as time passes... consistently outside the top 20 for what now? 10 races? He's clearly fit. So what's going on? He isn't even featured in CRC world Cup DH "Edits" anymore. Head gone? unhappy? who knows

Somebody please give the guy an old Sunday... looooong wheelbase #fashion is clearly not working for the poor wee inside line sniper.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
Any shot Rude rides World Champs? I would love to see how he does in the DH field. VDS doesnt really suit well to a 6c with a 40 on it however...