Quantcast

excellent cold weather weekend meal

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
had this yesterday for dinner...good stuff.

preheat oven to 300F
chop a carrot, celery stalk and onion.

take a pot roast (chuck roast, top blade?) about 3.5-4 lbs. season w/ salt and pepper all over, make sure it's tied up w/ kitchen twine good, and brown on all sides in a large oven-proof casserole dish (le creuset works well) over med-high heat.

when that is done, take the meat out and put on a plate. throw in the chopped onion, carrot, celery and two smashed garlic cloves. season w/ S&P. cook for ~5 minutes, then put in a cup of full-bodied red wine. reduce by half. put in three sprigs of sage and three sprigs of parsley, and put in a cup of beef broth. reduce by 1/3rd.

put the meat back in, put a lid on it, and pop into the oven for ~3 hrs. at the half-way point, turn the meat over. if the liquid is drying up, add some water and/or stock.

once the meat is cooked, remove it and cover w/ foil. use a large metal spoon to press on the remaining solids, strain, and skim the beef fat off the liquid. reserve a 1/2 cup for the carrot/parsnip side dish (see below).

reduce the remaining sauce by 1/2.

for the side dish, chop 5 carrots and 5 parsnips into ~3" long by 1/2" wide sticks. salt and pepper. in a large skillit, melt 1 tbsp butter and a glug of olive oil, and over med heat cook the veggies for 6-8 min, until starting to brown. stir frequently. when browned, add in the braising liquid, and 2 tbsp chopped parsley and sage, and partially cover. reduce heat to simmer and cook for additional 6-8 minutes (until almost tender). add 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar, and stir.

serve w/ a robust red wine. i can highly recommend the '96 kenwood artist series cab. :dancing:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
damn that sounds good & i bet it made for a cozy evening.

i havent had a roast since living with parents. I might have to give it a try.